Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-100 with MSPLIT4R1 - No sat signal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brshan01

brshan01

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

I have an older HR21-100 receiver that I used in my last house, its activated and works fine but when connecting it to the system in my new house I can't get any signal. (This receiver worked yesterday in the other house).

I will start off by saying, I used to install D-TV for a few months so I am fairly knowledgable in the area but its been awhile and Im not up to speed with all of the newer SWM technology. Right now I have a slimline dish with 1 wire/1 ground coming out and it leads to a splitter - MSPLIT4R1 (SWS14-R3) from there I have it running straight to the back of the HR21-100 receiver (tried both w/w-out the B-band converter) and I cant get any signal.

My question is, will this MSPLIT4R1 splitter work with the receiver or is my issue the LNB? Thanks in advance for any help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

I have an older HR21-100 receiver that I used in my last house, its activated and works fine but when connecting it to the system in my new house I can't get any signal. (This receiver worked yesterday in the other house).

I will start off by saying, I used to install D-TV for a few months so I am fairly knowledgable in the area but its been awhile and Im not up to speed with all of the newer SWM technology. Right now I have a slimline dish with 1 wire/1 ground coming out and it leads to a splitter - MSPLIT4R1 (SWS14-R3) from there I have it running straight to the back of the HR21-100 receiver (tried both w/w-out the B-band converter) and I cant get any signal.

My question is, will this MSPLIT4R1 splitter work with the receiver or is my issue the LNB? Thanks in advance for any help!

Do you have a SWM power supply connected to the power port of the splitter?

#3 OFFLINE   brshan01

brshan01

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

No power supply. I didn't think it needed one? Here is a pic of the splitter, I see the DC power pass, would I need to get a power supply and hook it into the out 1? Or would it be an inline amplifier that I would connect in the line running from the dish to the input on the switch?

Sorry for the newb questions...

Attached Thumbnails

• splitter.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:20 AM

Do you actually have a SWM dish? How many coax ports are on the back of the LNB assembly? If you have four, it's not SWM.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:47 AM

No power supply. I didn't think it needed one? Here is a pic of the splitter, I see the DC power pass, would I need to get a power supply and hook it into the out 1? Or would it be an inline amplifier that I would connect in the line running from the dish to the input on the switch?

Sorry for the newb questions...

All SWiMs need a power supply.
What's the "History" behind this house's dish?
Was this splitter there before, or did you add it?
Before even thinking about an amp, let's sort out what's going on here.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   brshan01

brshan01

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:11 AM

I haven't gone on the roof to look at the back of the lnb, I can do that tonight after work. The setup in the house was pre-existing and the previous owner had a 46" LCD in the same spot that I am trying to hook up this receiver. Im fairly confident its a SWM setup vs KA/KU because the lnb is smaller than the KA/KU that I remember. If I take a pic and post it would that be enough or should I go take it apart to verify?

Im not seeing any power supply, its possibly that the previous owner had one and took it out when he moved but I don't see why he would do this and leave the splitters in place, unless Dtv asked him to take the power supply when moving.

Is this what I would need? DIRECTV PI-21 21V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWimLine dish (PI-21) (sorry I can't post a direct link until I have 5+ posts on this forum).

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:24 AM

I haven't gone on the roof to look at the back of the lnb, I can do that tonight after work. The setup in the house was pre-existing and the previous owner had a 46" LCD in the same spot that I am trying to hook up this receiver. Im fairly confident its a SWM setup vs KA/KU because the lnb is smaller than the KA/KU that I remember. If I take a pic and post it would that be enough or should I go take it apart to verify?

Im not seeing any power supply, its possibly that the previous owner had one and took it out when he moved but I don't see why he would do this and leave the splitters in place, unless Dtv asked him to take the power supply when moving.

Is this what I would need? DIRECTV PI-21 21V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWimLine dish (PI-21) (sorry I can't post a direct link until I have 5+ posts on this forum).

"The most reasonable" thought here is that the previous owner did in fact take the PI with them.
The non SWiM setup can't use a splitter, so if this one was there when you moved in, the LNB should be a SWiMLNB.
The PI-21 is what you need.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   brshan01

brshan01

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Ok just to verify, I will need the PI-21 in line from the LNB to the splitter correct? Also, do you know of any shops (radio shack, best buy, etc.) that would sell these locally or would I be best off ordering it online? I live in minneapolis if that makes any difference.

Thanks a lot for everyones help, much appreciated!

Edited by brshan01, 31 August 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

Ok just to verify, I will need the PI-21 in line from the LNB to the splitter correct? Also, do you know of any shops (radio shack, best buy, etc.) that would sell these locally or would I be best off ordering it online? I live in minneapolis if that makes any difference.

Thanks a lot for your everyones help, much appreciated!

I have no clue where to get the PI-21 locally, "other than" if there is a DirecTV retailer there.
The PI can be mounted before the splitter, or after it on the power passing port, which you see marked on the splitter. I imagine this port was where the old PI was [behind the receiver] and all the equipment was packed up without realizing the PI should have stayed.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   brshan01

brshan01

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

Just ordered from solid signal. Thanks again for the help, I was banging my head against the wall for about 2 hours last night, I was about ready to pull all of the cable and re-run it lol.

#11 OFFLINE   brshan01

brshan01

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

Got the power inserter and everything works great. Thanks again.

#12 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:05 AM

Another happy ending. Glad it worked out for you. And you have the advantage of being able to use Whole Home DVR if you install multiple DirecTV boxes because of the SWM.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

spam firewall