Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost caller ID on HR24-500

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:55 PM

For 2nd time in two weeks I've lost Caller ID on my 24-500. It was out about a week ago and then restored. Its now out again, anyone else?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

First thing to try is resetting the HR24.

Do you have DSL internet? Are DSL filters installed on the HR24's phone jack?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   majikmarker

majikmarker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationArlington, WA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

Mine is currently working on my HR24 but I have had issues with Caller ID. It works for a month or two and then it disappears for no apparent reason. Only thing that brings it back is a menu reset.

Chalked it up to another minor annoyance with the box and when it disappears and I start to miss it, I have to reboot.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:03 AM

I have the same problem with my HR24-500. Caller ID comes and goes. Also had the same problem when I had a HR22-100.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

Sorry OP that's the way the 24-500 rides.

;)

#6 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

I have a new HR24/500 and the caller ID stopped working after one day. Started working again after a reset.

#7 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

I have a H23-600 and a H24 both lost caller for a few days and then back on doing nothing. May be the phone company doing a update? They turn off ID to do it.

Edited by richall01, 30 October 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

Both my HR20-700's have been intermittent from day one (5 yrs), thought they were made that way:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

I have 3 HR24-500s and two HR22-100 (HR22-100 Suck by the way!)...

The pathetic HR22s both work fine with caller ID.
One HR24 works, one sometimes works and one never works.
It's not the phone line or company because if I shuffle the receiver locations the same boxes have the same trouble.

I just chalk it up to another 'low priority' problem that will be addresed sometime in 2016 after no one has land lines anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Yes, my CallerID has just stopped working recently and I just Rebooted the HR24-500 and now CallerID is working as it should. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   DonDeAgo

DonDeAgo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have DSL Internet service and for the past two years or so I have been trying to get my caller ID to work on my DVR receivers. Just yesterday someone suggested I hook up two DSL filters in line to my receivers and that did the job for me.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have DSL Internet service and for the past two years or so I have been trying to get my caller ID to work on my DVR receivers. Just yesterday someone suggested I hook up two DSL filters in line to my receivers and that did the job for me.

Wow, sorry it took so long to figure out. With current DSL technology, you have to use a DSL filter at every jack you connect to a device that uses a phone line. Its been this way since the beginning of normal residential DSL AFAIK.

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

Wow, sorry it took so long to figure out. With current DSL technology, you have to use a DSL filter at every jack you connect to a device that uses a phone line. Its been this way since the beginning of normal residential DSL AFAIK.

Haven't had DSL in years but when i did I had a "whole home" filter of some sort that mounted on the demarc where my lines came in. I had seen it discussed on Broadband forum and got it off eBay for like $15. Worked great. IIRC it had output jack for the DSL modem and the main line passed through it precluding the need for filters on each line.

I think it was this or something like it: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a176cd7cd

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,921 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

It may not be as obvious in some installs. Some DSL modems have a phone jack built in and is automatically filtered.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Haven't had DSL in years but when i did I had a "whole home" filter of some sort that mounted on the demarc where my lines came in. I had seen it discussed on Broadband forum and got it off eBay for like $15. Worked great. IIRC it had output jack for the DSL modem and the main line passed through it precluding the need for filters on each line.

I think it was this or something like it: http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a176cd7cd

It still ends up being the exact same scenario, every phone jack is now DSL-filtered whether you have the filter at each jack or a whole house version at the demarc.

#16 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

But I've also got a new HR24/500 whose CallerID display quit after only a few days. I've just reset the unit, but won't know if the CallerID works until somebody calls :).

I don't currently have DSL, but I have had it in the past on this line. I probably have a handful of old DSL filters around here somewhere. Is there any point in trying to find them if we don't currently have DSL service?
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#17 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

For those DSL subscribers that have Century Link as their provider, did you know that Century Link has a CID application that comes across the internet and a phone line hook up to the DVR is not needed. The application actually shows up as the last line item when you hit menu. Just click on it and you can get history and several other features. Incomming calls actually appear before the phone rings. To enable it you need to have a functioning Network Services and then call into Century Link and have them turn it on on their end. If you have more than one receiver, make sure each receiver has a different network service set of addresses.

note: Once the CL app is enabled, the DTV provided CID icon disappears from the feature list of icons

#18 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

But I've also got a new HR24/500 whose CallerID display quit after only a few days. I've just reset the unit, but won't know if the CallerID works until somebody calls :).

I don't currently have DSL, but I have had it in the past on this line. I probably have a handful of old DSL filters around here somewhere. Is there any point in trying to find them if we don't currently have DSL service?

I wouldn't bother. If you've already verified your lines are grounded really well, then you just have to chalk it up to a bad caller ID implementation in the 24-500's. Like you've probably seen in this thread, they'll work for an hour or day or maybe even a week after a reset. Then they'll just stop. The only way to get it back is another reboot. It's a shame, because it was a feature I really liked on my DTV receivers going all the way back to my RCA's.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#19 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

I wouldn't bother. If you've already verified your lines are grounded really well, then you just have to chalk it up to a bad caller ID implementation in the 24-500's. Like you've probably seen in this thread, they'll work for an hour or day or maybe even a week after a reset. Then they'll just stop. The only way to get it back is another reboot. It's a shame, because it was a feature I really liked on my DTV receivers going all the way back to my RCA's.

+1. Caller ID on this model is unreliable. The only model I've ever had trouble with.

See this thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=207868
Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#20 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Yep, don't bother.... I have one that works as it should, one that works sometimes and one that never works. All HR24-500s. Phone line and/or grounding isn't the problem because if I move them around the caller ID trouble follows the receiver.

It is very difficult to get something as high-tech as caller ID to work! Not!:confused:

I think it just comes down to that DirecTV doesn't really care if caller ID works... It is so far down the list we'll all have died of old age before they get around to fixing it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...