Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My first Dish Bill & Customer Service

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Art Van Delay

Art Van Delay

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 02:56 PM

Recently I signed up for the package Dish Network was offering, that being for $50 you could get up to 4 receivers, your first 3 months free to AT 150, free installation & free activation. A great deal. So I signed up. Then I found out about the promotion for $99 you could get a PVR. So I got that too.

Then about 10 days after the system was installed I get a bill from Dish Network for $150+! I was outraged to say the least! So I immediately called. I talked with one rep who was of absolutely no help. She claimed that the $150 was for the activation of the PVR dish. I was like "NO it was not!". I was never told of such a charge. She said "that's all I can do", so I had her patch me to a manager.

He was not of much help either. He also said the $150 was for the activation of the PVR. I told him that was BS and that I was never told of such a charge & never would have agreed to the PVR if I had been aware of such a charge in the first place. I would have stayed w/DirectTV & bought a Tivo if I wanted to spend $250 on a PVR, at least a Tivo would have been my own property. So this went on & on & I told him I wanted a 301 receiver to replace the 501 with it's absurd "activation fee". He said he could not do that as it had been more than 3 days since my equipment was installed. I said well I don't intend to pay this charge & I want it erased from my bill. He said he could not do that and that the only thing I could do was terminate the contract (which by the way would have cost me $250 as well).

This went on & on for about 10 minutes and I told him how disappointed I was in their business practice & that I would never refer anyone to Dish & I would be switching back to DirectTV or even digital cable as soon as my contract ran out. Then he put me on hold & came back saying that somehow I wasn't credited for the first 3 months of free programming & that my bill was now $50 some odd dollars, which was to pay for my first month of paid service (the month of July in other words, since my first 3 months of free programming were for March, April and June) & that I wouldn't have another bill to pay now until August. He said it was their standard practice to charge for the first month of service upfront. I do not know that I believed him or was hearing the entire story, and am waiting to see if a bill arrives prior to my bill for the month of August.

Has anyone had any similar experiences with Dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 03:00 PM

I suggest emailing ceo@echostar.com and see if you can get some answers to this.

I hated my first month bill as well they like to charge you for 2 months on your first bill.

#3 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 03:08 PM

Every commercial I've ever heard of for the "up to 4 recievers" deal has mentioned the $49.99 activation fee, plus $99 = $148.99... That adds up to me. Was the bill total $150, or did I miss something?
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#4 OFFLINE   Art Van Delay

Art Van Delay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 06:21 PM

Originally posted by neilster1
Every commercial I've ever heard of for the "up to 4 recievers" deal has mentioned the $49.99 activation fee, plus $99 = $148.99... That adds up to me. Was the bill total $150, or did I miss something?

That's correct. However, I paid the 50 bucks up front, then paid the 99 bucks for the PVR when I ordered it. They <b>STILL</b> tried to hit me up for another $150 claiming that it was an activation fee for the PVR. After about 20 minutes of B.S. from them they finally said that I didn't get my discount for the 3 free months of programming. I'm still a bit skeptical and hope they don't try to nail me again. I definitely won't be doing the auto pay thing with them that's for sure.

#5 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 08:12 PM

Oh... I see. I'm sure they will straighten it out.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2002 - 09:14 PM

The 3 months free only apply to the basic package and locals (if available and you subscribe to them) So if you are subscribing to anything other than a basic package and or locals you will received a bill. (for premiums,international stations) When you get the bill you will see a line charging you for the Digi Pvr activation fee for $149; however you will also see a line that shows a payment for $149 that will cancel the $149 charge. At this point you will only have to pay for the premiums,tax,tv guide,and other things!

#7 OFFLINE   Art Van Delay

Art Van Delay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 07:06 AM

That's the thing Dishgod, there was no line cancelling the $149 activation fee. Nothing. If they take that away my bill would have been zero, as it should have been. They tried telling me that I was going to have to pay the $150 as that was payment for the PVR activation, which was pure B.S. Then after about 20 minutes of arguing they come back and tell me that the bill was not giving me credit for my first 3 months of service free. I am still pretty skeptical about this, mainly because when they came up with the idea that the bill was $51 or whatever for my first month of paid service (paying the month of July), it was about $10 less than what my bill should tally out at (approx $61 each month). I only have the AT 150 and do not have any other premium packages. I doubt that this is the last arguement I've had with Dish over a bill.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:02 AM

I just checked my statement online and it is correct ($0 balance). I have the same set up, 4 tvs + a PVR.

#9 OFFLINE   Art Van Delay

Art Van Delay

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:22 AM

Rob, when did you sign up? Have you had to pay for the first month of service (when your 3 free months finishes up that is).

#10 OFFLINE   Kenster

Kenster

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 08:08 AM

With the promo of up to four receivers per household, can two of them be placed on one TV so I can watch a live TV show while recording from another channel to a VCR or PVR? And is there an extra monthly fee for each receiver, even if two receivers go to one tv?

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 08:13 AM

Ken they are your 4 receivers. You can put them anywhere you want. :D

Dish does not care as long as the bill is paid.

#12 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 08:17 AM

It's $5 per month per additional active receiver. It makes no difference whether its plugged in, hooked up to a toaster or whatever. :)

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#13 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Art Van Delay
Rob, when did you sign up? Have you had to pay for the first month of service (when your 3 free months finishes up that is).

I have only been up and running for 2 weeks. I paid my $149 to the installer then set up my account online at dishnetwork.com. Last time I checked, my May payment due amount was $0.00. I'll check again today and let you know if it has changed.

UPDATE.
I just checked online and my balance was $0.00, the interesting thing was the activity. I paid $149 but it shows up on the bill like this......

DIGITAL HOME PLAN WITH AT150, 4 RCVRS, LOCALS

SERVICE DISCOUNT

Very interesting....

spam firewall