Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MLB Network now live in SD and HD (channel 153)

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

If I were to move to Dish from FiOS, MLB Network was the only channel that I would have missed. Congrats on getting it!

Is this an HD channel, or only SD?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

Ira,

If you have any questions about our equipment or services, we are available for you. I do have information on our website that provides a lot of helpful information. Thanks.

#53 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

You never know. I believe the current MLB EI contract (D* and iN DEMAND) runs through the 2013 season. 2014 would be the earliest for E* to join in. Perhaps a deal of some sort is being worked on and it will be available next Spring (2012). :slowgrin:

All providers use iN Demand, except for DirecTV. DirecTV has their own Extra Innings, which is why it is much better than what is available with iN Demand.

All Dish would have to do is contract to carry iN Demand.

#54 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

Reaper,

Thank you. I was watching last night and really enjoyed the channel. It's available in SD and HD. I posted some information on this thread, #52.

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 02 September 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   stevenv

stevenv

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Really enjoying MLB network. This was a nice surprise, and just in time for the exciting pennant races coming down to the wire. Thanks Dish Network!

#56 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

stevenv,

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the MLB Network. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.

#57 OFFLINE   stevenv

stevenv

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

stevenv,

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the MLB Network. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.

Thanks Ray. Appreciate it.:)

#58 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

All providers use iN Demand, except for DirecTV. DirecTV has their own Extra Innings, which is why it is much better than what is available with iN Demand.

All Dish would have to do is contract to carry iN Demand.

I didn't know that. Interesting. I don't think a "lesser" (iN DEMAND) MLB EI would go over very well with E* customers so inclined to order it. Any offered MLB EI would HAVE to be the equal (or better) of a "better" (D*) MLB EI.

#59 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,204 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:58 PM

I didn't know that. Interesting. I don't think a "lesser" (iN DEMAND) MLB EI would go over very well with E* customers so inclined to order it. Any offered MLB EI would HAVE to be the equal (or better) of a "better" (D*) MLB EI.

Do you mean better as in different feeds and games in HD?
If so, then they don't have to be equal. DirecTV & Dish both get NHLCI & NBALP. DirecTV's has more games in HD and usually has dual feeds. I'm sure plenty of Dish subs still get CI & LP.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#60 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:16 PM

To me MLB Network and MLB Extra Innings are two different topics. I feel that MLB Network is essential programming for a provider like Dish Network, while there is an alternative to MLB EI, MLB.tv -- at about half the cost.

#61 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

To me MLB Network and MLB Extra Innings are two different topics. I feel that MLB Network is essential programming for a provider like Dish Network, while there is an alternative to MLB EI, MLB.tv -- at about half the cost.

I would agree with that... and I'm not a baseball fan.

NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB Networks seem essential channels to me for a provider to carry since each of those sports have a lot of fans both casual and fanatical.

The season passes (League Pass, Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, Extra Innings) have a smaller core group of fans that are THAT fanatical about it and happy to pay for the more expensive comprehensive package.

I can see a provider deciding they don't have enough of those fans to make it worth a huge bidding... hence DirecTV being able to keep locking up exclusive on Sunday Ticket because Dish doesn't see it worth getting into a bidding war over.

But I would think having the individual network channels for each sport more essential because there are a lot of casual fans who would use that channel choice as a differentiator.

I am ok not having Sunday Ticket, for example... but if all other things were equal, I might choose to leave Dish for another provider IF I didn't get the NFL Network.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#62 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

Dish needs the alternate channel added, how they were given no information is puzzling.

#63 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

Two different things. EI shows games only, while MLB Net shows games, news, highlights, and all things baseball

#64 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

Yes. DirecTV's EI has dual live feeds and pretty much every game in HD. iN Demand can only guarantee one feed and shows much fewer games in HD. DirecTV can do this because they have pretty much every RSN running in HD full-time. For their sports packages they simply open the local feed to everyone in the nation with that package. This is why you are able to watch the games on both the sports package channel and the actual RSN channels. The same is true for CI and LP on DirecTV as well.

Edited by DodgerKing, 02 September 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Dish needs the alternate channel added, how they were given no information is puzzling.

What do you mean by given no information?

#66 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

Well!. It is exciting to hear/read that MLB is finally here on D/N. That is after I went blind, can't hear, to old to watch.

Being a St. Louis Cardinal fan for 61 years, or has it been 71 years, I still follow the team. However, I would bet the ranch that come Feb. 2012 you will see a spike in subscription fees all do to this channel 153 MLB... Just wait.

Note: I'm now watching Texas and Boston on MLB. WOW!! I can see-hear again.

#67 OFFLINE   emathis

emathis

Mentor/Supporter

• DBSTalk Club
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

Here in Albuquerque, on mlb.tv we are blocked from Rockies and Dback games, but I can't get the Red Sox/Rangers game either. That's an awfully big blackout area.

#68 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Here in Albuquerque, on mlb.tv we are blocked from Rockies and Dback games, but I can't get the Red Sox/Rangers game either. That's an awfully big blackout area.

Again, it is not black out rules, it is regional. Your region is scheduled to get the ChiSox and Tigers. Without the alternate channel you are unable to see the game that is being broadcast in your region

#69 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

Giants/Diamondbacks game probably won't get shown till the 6th inning the way the pace of Texas/Boston is going.

#70 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

What do you mean by given no information?

exactly what I said!!! MLB didn't bother to alert Dish that MLB Net has an alternate channel! Dish rep guy here even said they have no information!

#71 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

Giants/Diamondbacks game probably won't get shown till the 6th inning the way the pace of Texas/Boston is going.

Dish subs should already be used to that by now anyway. ;):D

#72 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Well!. It is exciting to hear/read that MLB is finally here on D/N. That is after I went blind, can't hear, to old to watch.

Being a St. Louis Cardinal fan for 61 years, or has it been 71 years, I still follow the team. However, I would bet the ranch that come Feb. 2012 you will see a spike in subscription fees all do to this channel 153 MLB... Just wait.

Note: I'm now watching Texas and Boston on MLB. WOW!! I can see-hear again.

That's another reason for me to subscribe to AT120.;):D

#73 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:28 PM

I have a black screen on MLB 153 SD and HD......I got a e-mail today saying I qualify.......
what up.......?
Thank you and
Best of luck

#74 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,204 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:32 PM

I have a black screen on MLB 153 SD and HD......I got a e-mail today saying I qualify.......
what up.......?

This...

Because one game is shown in a certain geographic area and the other is shown in the other geographic area. These are MLBNet designed regions in addition to MLB blackout rules. Without the alternate channel, like I have already stated, half of the country will be blacked out half of the time.

I am only posting this to inform you guys now in order to avoid the countless threads of, "Why is this game blacked out?" or "Why are the games blacked out half of the time?" My posts are not meant to complain or brag. It is only to inform...That is it

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#75 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:37 PM

This...

And your point is......? look DUDE .......I'm just reporting what i'm seeing.
Thank you and
Best of luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...