Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MLB Network now live in SD and HD (channel 153)

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

I love the Network but geez during live games it's like CNBC during the stock market. Scores on the bottom scrolling, showing scores in the bottom right as well? Plus, these HUGE popups with stupid FOX type bells and whistle noises.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

ehren, I'm not noticing the bells and whistles.

edit: Now I've got the phillies-braves pumped through the surround system, yes, I do notice. I can correct for that easily enough.

Also the banner is less intrusive and simultaneously more informative (outs/counts not blocked to display speed gun stat) and the coverage itself is much more calm--not hysterical and screechy like the Oprah-esque varmint and bristol nets.

For my part, I'll take this free for a month (120+ here) and likely upgrade come October--This net, blackout warts and all, complements and provides great relief to the TMZ-style of coverage.

And the off-season coverage gives me something to look forward to over the winter.

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

just my $.02

Edited by karrank%, 05 September 2011 - 06:49 PM.
correction

#103 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:52 AM

On Sept. 1, when customers received emails they now were able to watch MLB on channel 153. What Dish failed to mention this free, aka "tease" was good for "only" 30 days. Yes!, from 9/1-9/30 on channel 153 you can watch MLB free. After 9/30 you must order a Sports Package, and we all know D/N has a "great" deal on Sports Packages... to some more like a week's pay.

To make room for MLB alternate channel and couple more sports channels that will be in the package, Dish is moving FSC, FUEL, and OVATN from channels 149, 156, 157. So, it appears Charlie made a deal with MLB and we will enjoy these channels, and no doubt pad his bank account this fall and come Spring 2012.

Edited by Skeeterman, 06 September 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#104 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

Or sign up for a package higher than the 130 package

#105 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

I'm enjoying it as well.

It couldn't be that tough to implement (open up the alt feed). Probably can't due to some set of archaic blackout rules. :(

Blackouts are an anacronism in the 21st century.

The blackouts, while I despise them, are most likely to protect their MLB EI and MLB.TV properties. I would also agree that the blackout rules should be rewritten to soften the boundaries a bit.

#106 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

"I would also agree that the blackout rules should be rewritten to soften the boundaries a bit."

How about Time Zones for boundaries? Mountain Time will have to inherit from adjoining time zones so that any TZ has a minimum of 7 teams. Tweak as you see fit; strictly for "grins and giggles" right now.

Eastern Time Zone:

NYY BOS TB TOR BAL DET CLE
PHI ATL NYM WAS FLA CIN PIT

Central Time Zone:

CWS KC MIN TEX MIL STL CHC HOU

Mountain Time Zone:

COL ARZ SF LAD SAN TEX HOU

Pacific and Alaska and Hawaii:

LAA OAK SEA ARZ==>(MST=PDT when DST starts) SF LAD SAN

#107 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Blackouts are set by the MLB teams themselves.

They have agreed among themselves to carve up there "territories" where they limit which games you can see to those in your vicinity.

That's how they like it and I don't forsee them changing it as long as their Congressionally approved monopoly exists.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#108 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

On Sept. 1, when customers received emails they now were able to watch MLB on channel 153. What Dish failed to mention this free, aka "tease" was good for "only" 30 days. Yes!, from 9/1-9/30 on channel 153 you can watch MLB free. After 9/30 you must order a Sports Package, and we all know D/N has a "great" deal on Sports Packages... to some more like a week's pay.

To make room for MLB alternate channel and couple more sports channels that will be in the package, Dish is moving FSC, FUEL, and OVATN from channels 149, 156, 157. So, it appears Charlie made a deal with MLB and we will enjoy these channels, and no doubt pad his bank account this fall and come Spring 2012.

There you go spitting out false information again. Would be nice to give people correct information than flat out lying to them...
You can order the sports package and MLBNetwork there OR it is available to those customers (the majority) who subscribe to AT200 and above. (yeah, you "conveniently" left that part out)
Oh yeah, you can go to Dish chat or ask one of the Dish Response Team here and get the sports package for free...guess you forgot to mention that part too! :rolleyes:

#109 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Or sign up for a package higher than the 130 package

That's AT120 DK.;)

#110 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

There you go spitting out false information again. Would be nice to give people correct information than flat out lying to them...
You can order the sports package and MLBNetwork there OR it is available to those customers (the majority) who subscribe to AT200 and above. (yeah, you "conveniently" left that part out)
Oh yeah, you can go to Dish chat or ask one of the Dish Response Team here and get the sports package for free...guess you forgot to mention that part too! :rolleyes:

So you are one of those flimsy wave the hand type persons, and has it all figured out. But, you lack some brains to compete with me. However, I will try to help you out here. Turn on the TV and tune to channel 102. That is if you can work the remote. What do you see on the first image there. Oh!, let me help you.. Repeat after me...MLB Ch-153 9/1-9/30 Free Preview.
Enough said!!!!!

#111 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Please don't attack each other... talk about the topic.

There seems to be a disagreement here based on two-halves of information... so let me try to clarify.

MLB Network is currently in free preview mode. That is true.

When the free preview is over, there will be two ways to get it:

1. Subscribe to AT200 or higher

OR

2. Subscribe to the Multisport package.

Thus... you don't have to subscribe to multi-sport... you can subscribe to AT200 and keep this channel once the free preview ends.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#112 OFFLINE   jimg

jimg

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, was all set to watch the Phillies vs. Braves. Drat, blacked out. Went to mlb.com's web site to see what games are blacked out in my area - hmmm only Mets and Yankees. Went to Dish Network's sports tool, shows Phillies vs Braves game blacked out. Thanks Dish, thanks MLB. Come on MLB, how much traffic do you think you're are getting on mlb.com by blacking out games elsewhere? I'll just watch something else thank you.

#113 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, was all set to watch the Phillies vs. Braves. Drat, blacked out. Went to mlb.com's web site to see what games are blacked out in my area - hmmm only Mets and Yankees. Went to Dish Network's sports tool, shows Phillies vs Braves game blacked out. Thanks Dish, thanks MLB. Come on MLB, how much traffic do you think you're are getting on mlb.com by blacking out games elsewhere? I'll just watch something else thank you.

The blackout areas for MLB Network games are different from RSN blackouts. That's why the alternate channel is needed because you get the main game or the alternate game, but not both.

#114 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

I am watching the yanks vs. the angels right now on the MLB network. The feed of the game shows the YES logo all over the place. The announcers keep saying we are watching the game on the YES channel. This proves my point that the MLB net games are the same games broadcast on the RSNs. Dish could open up an RSN feed for the alt. game in most cases and provide the game to those that should be getting it if they wanted too.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#115 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

I am watching the yanks vs. the angels right now on the MLB network. The feed of the game shows the YES logo all over the place. The announcers keep saying we are watching the game on the YES channel. This proves my point that the MLB net games are the same games broadcast on the RSNs. Dish could open up an RSN feed for the alt. game in most cases and provide the game to those that should be getting it if they wanted too.

But they're not always like that. MLBN will use their own announcers, graphics, etc.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#116 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

"Dish could open up an RSN feed for the alt. game in most cases and provide the game to those that should be getting it if they wanted too."

I agree. It shouldn't be that tough of a process to implement.

#117 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

It's not as simple as Dish taking an RSN feed to show the alternate game. How many times do people need to be told how the network works? The alternate feed still has MLBN branding and advertising.

#118 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

It's not as simple as Dish taking an RSN feed to show the alternate game. How many times do people need to be told how the network works? The alternate feed still has MLBN branding and advertising.

you'd be surprised!!!

#119 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

Yeah, go ahead and tell me again because if you made that statement about the game that I watched last Saturday evening, you would be wrong. Maybe they do have some announcers and maybe that is how some games are done but, not all of them. And it could as simple as opening up the RSN feed if they wanted to heck, that is exactly what they did for last Saturdays game on the main feed.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#120 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

Dish used an ALT and ALTHD feed for Versus SD and HD for the NHL playoffs back in May!!! They can do this for MLBN!

#121 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

They can only show an ALT feed for an MLB Alternate game IF they have permission from MLB to do so. I don't know why some keep missing that point. Dish only signed up for the main MLB channel (for some unknown reason)... so even if the game is carried on an RSN feed that Dish already carries for those markets... Dish can't open that RSN feed up to everyone unless MLB tells them that they can.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#122 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

...And it could as simple as opening up the RSN feed if they wanted to heck, that is exactly what they did for last Saturdays game on the main feed.

That's not what was done, though. MLBN used the YES feed and did their own extra overlays/commercials/etc, not Dish.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#123 OFFLINE   neljtorres

neljtorres

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

Why is not available in Puerto Rico. No MLB Network sd and hd why. In Directv and cables network have Mlb network.

I have Dish and I got MLB Network

#124 OFFLINE   a_maymi

a_maymi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

Now if only MLB Network in SD but no HD for Puerto Rico, 152 CBSSN HD and 151 VS. HD Versus Why?

Edited by a_maymi, 03 November 2011 - 07:19 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...