Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Self Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ogreen

ogreen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

I had D* installed at my new house that we are moving to in a few weeks. I have 2 HR24 and and 1 H25 using the SWM system. I want to take one of the receivers to my current house (a few miles away) and hook it up to my older D* system to use until we move. My current house has a Slimline 5 with a zinwell 6x8.

What I have done...
I connected 2 lines from the multi-sw to the HR24 (w/o B-band), adjusted the antenna and switch type from within setup. I selected slimline 5 and multiswitch. I had to tweek the alignment of dish to get sat 103 but now it is around 80 but I cannot get 99c at all.

other sat strengths
101: ~91
110: ~99

So I am only getting some of the HD channels. Does this seem like a alignment or setup problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice
OG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
update:
Spent more time reading and searching through the forum and found that using the SMW system I still need to use the b-band filters even though the setup screen says not to. Oh well, as long as it works.

Edited by ogreen, 03 September 2011 - 08:38 AM.
Update

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

Could provide a better "guess" as to the problem if all the signal numbers were available. It could be an LNB problem, but alignment is also in question. The tilt is obviously off, 101 and 110 should have close to the same general readings.

First, check that the mast is plumb using a level. Then set tilt and elevation to the settings given by the receiver for your zip code. Azimuth should be close because you have reasonably good readings. With the dish 'dialed' as indicated, the fine tuning adjustments should get you in (no need to adjust tilt beyond 'factory' setting - only az and el).

I suspect the mast is not plumb which makes all the adjustments highly interactive. make sure the mast is properly plumb - alignment is a piece of cake after that!

If after a proper alignment, there is no signal on 99 then the problem is likely an LNB assembly defect. Attempt to borrow one as a temp replacement to verify.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, you took an HR24 back to your old non-SWM setup...yes it does require the use of the BBC's to receive all the HD channels..

#4 OFFLINE   ogreen

ogreen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, you took an HR24 back to your old non-SWM setup...yes it does require the use of the BBC's to receive all the HD channels..

you are correct.

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA #
9-16 NA # NA # NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA # # #
25-32 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º©) [or 99º(a)]
[National HD channels]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 # # # # # # NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 # # # # # # # #
17-24 # # # # # # # #

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]
[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # # # # # # NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)
[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]
1-8 # # # # # # # #
9-16 # NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall