Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coming Back to D*, Whole Home Setup Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimaxwell

jimaxwell

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

I have been building a house for the last year, we finally get the keys this week.

When I left we were a 3 DirecTivo, 1 DTV DVR household. We became very used to having DVR at each TV and want to continue that in the new house. We're coming back with HDTVs in 5 rooms. So far, the experience has been a nightmare (I'll save you the ongoing signup drama with D* customer service).

What I want is to be able to view recorded programming in 4 locations simultaneously. My understanding is to do this I need 2 HD DVRs, 3 HD receivers and the Whole Home programming (which I'm assuming is referred to as MRV, Multi-Room Viewing).

I plan on putting the two HD DVRs in a media closet and connecting them to 2 TVs via HDMI (I have 15' conduit runs to the rooms). (I'll save the slingbox setup to another thread) Then I will put the HD Receivers in 2 bedrooms and an office. These rooms have both RG-6 and Cat5e connectivity. The media closet will also have the DSL router (and most likely a switch).

Will this setup work? Will the 4 rooms be able to view programming on the DVRs simultaneously? Is there anything particular I need to make sure the installer brings with him/her?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,188 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:26 AM

I have been building a house for the last year, we finally get the keys this week.

When I left we were a 3 DirecTivo, 1 DTV DVR household. We became very used to having DVR at each TV and want to continue that in the new house. We're coming back with HDTVs in 5 rooms. So far, the experience has been a nightmare (I'll save you the ongoing signup drama with D* customer service).

What I want is to be able to view recorded programming in 4 locations simultaneously. My understanding is to do this I need 2 HD DVRs, 3 HD receivers and the Whole Home programming (which I'm assuming is referred to as MRV, Multi-Room Viewing).

I plan on putting the two HD DVRs in a media closet and connecting them to 2 TVs via HDMI (I have 15' conduit runs to the rooms). (I'll save the slingbox setup to another thread) Then I will put the HD Receivers in 2 bedrooms and an office. These rooms have both RG-6 and Cat5e connectivity. The media closet will also have the DSL router (and most likely a switch).

Will this setup work? Will the 4 rooms be able to view programming on the DVRs simultaneously? Is there anything particular I need to make sure the installer brings with him/her?

If what you are saying is that the 4 rooms total comprise two TVs in the same room connected by HDMI cable to the DVRs, and the three STB HD receivers are to be in 2 bedrooms and an office then no, you can not access recorded programming on the DVRs in all four rooms simultaneously with WHDVR.

Only in three of them at a time with this setup, but you may have different programming on the two TVs on HDMI in the same room of course.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

Welcome back.

Each DVR in a MRV setup can only stream to one remote location at a time. So to view recorded shows at four locations at the same time, two of the locations will have to have a DVR.

#4 OFFLINE   jimaxwell

jimaxwell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

Ok, I think I got it.

What I want is for my two kids to be able to watch TV in their rooms and for my wife to be able to watch in the bedroom while I watch in either the bonus room or the downstairs office.

So, if I understand correctly, I need to have 1 DVR connected via HDMI to 1 of the kids TVs to feed it directly while the other daughter can hit it from their HD Receiver remotely. Then I can put the other DVR in the Media closet connected via HDMI to the Master Bedroom TV for my wife, while I can hit it remotely via HD Receiver from either the Bonus Room or downstairs office.

Right?

BTW, I have 3 lines from the dish location to the Media Closet. Is that enough? I keep seeing drawings with 4 lines coming off the dish...

#5 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

Ok, I think I got it.

What I want is for my two kids to be able to watch TV in their rooms and for my wife to be able to watch in the bedroom while I watch in either the bonus room or the downstairs office.

So, if I understand correctly, I need to have 1 DVR connected via HDMI to 1 of the kids TVs to feed it directly while the other daughter can hit it from their HD Receiver remotely. Then I can put the other DVR in the Media closet connected via HDMI to the Master Bedroom TV for my wife, while I can hit it remotely via HD Receiver from either the Bonus Room or downstairs office.

Right?

BTW, I have 3 lines from the dish location to the Media Closet. Is that enough? I keep seeing drawings with 4 lines coming off the dish...

You need a SWiM setup, either a SWiM LNB or a SWiM8. SWiM LNB requires 1 cable from the dish to a splitter that feeds each room with one cable. SWiM 8 requires four cables from the LNB and 1 output feeding a splitter that feeds each room. Either case will need a power injector feeding into the splitter. This will pass through and power the LNB, etc.

#6 OFFLINE   jimaxwell

jimaxwell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

My guess is that the SWiM8 would be more expandable, but the SWiM LNB is more likely to be installed by the installer. If they do the SWiM LNB, what limitations am I going to have down the line? What are the advantages of the SWiM8?

j

#7 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

My guess is that the SWiM8 would be more expandable, but the SWiM LNB is more likely to be installed by the installer. If they do the SWiM LNB, what limitations am I going to have down the line? What are the advantages of the SWiM8?

j

No advantage to either unless you expect to have more than 8 tuners. In that case it would be easier to swap out the SWiM8 for a SWiM16 without having to replace the LNB. Unless you have a compelling reason to have a SWiM 8, SWiM LNB is the way it woud be installed as this is less expensive and there is less equipment that has a potential for a future failure.

#8 OFFLINE   jimaxwell

jimaxwell

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

As currently configured I'm going to have 2 DVRS (2x2 tuners) and 3 HD Receivers (3x1 tuner). If my math serves, that's 7 tuners. I won't have much expandability with a SWiM LNB installation.... But, my guess is an "off the truck" installer won't care much about expandability...

With SWiM LNB installation and MRV, what hardware should I be expecting beyond the receivers?

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

DirecTV does not install based on expandability. If you have 8 or less tuners you will get a SWM LNB install 99% of the time. I don't think most techs even carry around a SWM8 anymore. And in my experience some of them don't even know how a SWM16 works. My buddies installer showed up expecting to install a SWM LNB and dish, and I already had the house wired up with a SWM16, just needed him to install the dish and aim it (I gave him the non/SWM LNB to install). He looked at my wiring and said, that stuff is for commercial installs, I don't know how to hook it up. I had to convince him just to go up and install/aim the dish and I would take care of everything else. He even tried to convince me that I needed DECA adapters for my buddies two new H24 receivers. I had to prove to him that they worked without them.

My guess is you will most likely get a Slimline Dish, SWM 3 LNB, 8 way splitter, power inserter, and a broadband DECA adapter (assuming you told them you want access to On Demand and TV Apps). I'm not sure if the techs are installing the wireless broadband DECAs or not, you might just get the wired version. I would recommend you try to get the tech to give you 2 HR24s, and 3 H24 or 3 H25 receivers if he has them available. Most techs will give you what you ask for if they have them available, and using these receivers will actually make your install a bit easier for them. However, don't get upset if he can't give you those receivers, it's just a luck of the draw. You will need a DECA adapter for every HD-DVR or HD receiver below the 24 series though.

Edited by Beerstalker, 06 September 2011 - 04:49 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...