Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cablevision vs DirectTV - Who Has More HD's?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DKNY330

DKNY330

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

I am scheduled for install for DirectTV on Friday and have posted in several other forums here for more info on what I should expect, etc. This is a great site and has been very helpful.

From what I can read/see here, it seems that while in the Premiere package I ordered there would be a lot of HD Channel's, many of them I will not be able to see anything or programming would be blocked - the West Coast broadcast channels, Sports Pack major league games, etc. With Cablevision, I get all the HD Channels they offer (over 100). Am I reading this wrong in that I will not be gaining anything new with DirectTV? Thanks-

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

I dont know the comparison between the two and channel differences, but it isn't always about the channels. I stay with DirecTV mainly for the other features, plus I still have a very long standing grudge against Time Warner.

#3 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

It's different with each cable provider, you would have to sit down and do the comparison yourself. If you have a specific question about how something works like WHDVR or anyother features of DIRECTV it would be much easier to help, programming and comparison questions are a little different.

Good luck with the decision, DIRECTV's HD quality is great and the features they offer are even better.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

I am scheduled for install for DirectTV on Friday and have posted in several other forums here for more info on what I should expect, etc. This is a great site and has been very helpful.

From what I can read/see here, it seems that while in the Premiere package I ordered there would be a lot of HD Channel's, many of them I will not be able to see anything or programming would be blocked - the West Coast broadcast channels, Sports Pack major league games, etc. With Cablevision, I get all the HD Channels they offer (over 100). Am I reading this wrong in that I will not be gaining anything new with DirectTV? Thanks-

This may help you.

http://ww.avsforum.c...d.php?t=1058081

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Though keep in mind AMC will be available on the 9th.

#6 OFFLINE   blaqhauq

blaqhauq

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

Keep in mind too that cablevision offers alot more hd channels just the same as D* but the are only offered in the areas that they can get them in their living areas. Just the same as D*. The difference is D* shows every single channel they offer for the entire USA. Cablevision, as other cable companies, only show the channels that are available in your area.

#7 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

There are TV-Guide like sites on the web that can show you lineups and schedules for various providers. I use TitanTV.com, but there's also Zap2it and others. You can set up the channel list for Directv and for Cablevision in your area.

Remember, with cable companies, each region or locally managed system will have it's own unique lineup. For instance, the Cablevision lineup for Medford Mass. is different from the Cablevision lineup in Bay City Texas.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

I thought Cablevision was just in the NYC metro area? Big area to be sure, but didn't think it was fragments in terms of not all channels available like Comcast or TWC. The sheet from AVSForum had a color for Limited, which I thought was for that situation, didn't really see many (if any) for Cablevision.

#9 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

Cablevision in your area might have more HD channels than DirecTV. Time Warner Cable here offers just about (if not all) channel in available in HD. I would check their website to make sure the channels you watch are available in HD,

The reason I'm with DirecTV is because I THOUGHT I'd be saving money but I was wrong.
However, I'll stay with DirecTV because I like their boxes much better but they need to offer an app like TWC and Comcast have for the iPad which I'm sure will happen someday.

#10 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

I thought Cablevision was just in the NYC metro area? Big area to be sure, but didn't think it was fragments in terms of not all channels available like Comcast or TWC. The sheet from AVSForum had a color for Limited, which I thought was for that situation, didn't really see many (if any) for Cablevision.

You are right in terms of the original NY/CT/NJ systems. If CV launches a national network, all systems there get it . However, CV recently bought Bresnan's systems out west and later renamed them Optimum West. http://west.optimum.com/

Someone on AVS suggested that 'the list' be updated to add Bresnan's existing channels that all the other CV systems don't have as limited, even though at some point CV will just remove them.

http://consumerist.c...ed-bresnan.html

Edited by mws192, 05 September 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:45 AM

<<The reason I'm with DirecTV is because I THOUGHT I'd be saving money but I was wrong.
However, I'll stay with DirecTV because I like their boxes much better but they need to offer an app like TWC and Comcast have for the iPad which I'm sure will happen someday.>>

I am paying 90 dollars a month for Directv and 90 dollars a month for my Cablevision Phone and Internet (boost +.) I recently saw a deal for Cablevision for 69.99 for Cable, internet, and phone. (2 years.) With the three DVR's I could see myself paying 110-120 a month vs the 180 separate.

The only reason I am still with Directv is because I find the DVR's to be so much better than Cablevisions although for 60 dollars a month savings I may have to start rethinking if it is worth it.

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:39 AM

But does Cablevision charge DVR service like Directv? Some charge for it per box.

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

But does Cablevision charge DVR service like Directv? Some charge for it per box.

box prices are not that clear on there web site.

Digital Cable Box $6.70
Remote Control $0.25
Premium Programming on Additional Outlets $5.00

iO DVR Service $10.95
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#14 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:32 AM

Yeah that is why I figured roughly 110-120 total for phone, internet, TV and cable will buyout the ETF on directv if I have one. I don't watch showtime, hbo, etc and I don't watch football.

Still not decided on what I am going to exactly do!

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

box prices are not that clear on there web site.

Digital Cable Box $6.70
Remote Control $0.25
Premium Programming on Additional Outlets $5.00

iO DVR Service $10.95

Yeah, not very clear. But it's kind of funny. We complain about DirecTVs HR34 50 series link limit, Cablevisions Whole Home DVR is still limited to 25 hours HD.

I did see articles that talked about it being $10.95 for 160gb of storage, which makes it sound like per box, or that you can't have multiple DVRs.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Per box, and I think it's more than twelve dollars a box. I looked into it a couple years ago and they only offer single tuner DVRs and their service is terrible. So are the DVRs. I tried one of their DVRs this year. Yuk!

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

10.95 for DVR service, 6.70 for the DVR hardware, 25 cents for the remote maybe? There are aspects of DirecTV where we are spoiled.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

10.95 for DVR service, 6.70 for the DVR hardware, 25 cents for the remote maybe? There are aspects of DirecTV where we are spoiled.

I think it's more than that. I'd call them, but it takes forever to get someone on the phone.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm calling them.................$10.95 per DVR per month. Single tuner DVRs.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm calling them.................$10.95 per DVR per month. Single tuner DVRs.

Rich

That's useless...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...