Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cablevision vs DirectTV - Who Has More HD's?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

Even my HR23 dvr is light years ahead of any dvr cable has and whole home dvr is something cable don't have. Price wise i think i might be saving a couple bucks but even if cable was cheaper i still would stay for better tech.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

When I had Cablevision 4 or 5 years ago the DVR was a dual tuner.

#23 ONLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 813 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Cablevision's physical DVRs are dual tuner, always have been. Have to hit the PIP button on remote then swap to get the other tuner, not easy like Directv's DVRs where we just hit arrow down twice.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

Cablevision's physical DVRs are dual tuner, always have been. Have to hit the PIP button on remote then swap to get the other tuner, not easy like Directv's DVRs where we just hit arrow down twice.

Perhaps they have upgraded since the last time I talked to them, I'm giving them a call right now......................................................................................''''''''''''';;;;;;'''''''''''''''''...............................................................................)(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&&*().......................................................................my cell phone will probably run down before someone actually picks up this call........................................

Just got told they've always been dual tuner DVRs. Odd that they told a different story a few months ago. At that time I was told that they would be upgrading to dual tuner DVRs. Gotta admit I'm confused.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I just got off the phone with Cablevision. They offered me 79.99 ultimate triple play (Boost +, Family TV, Phone) (3 DVR's) Total price after taxes is under 130.00. I would save 50+ dollars a month. 90+ for directv and 90+ for cablevision (boost+ and phone that I have now.)
I called Directv and the best they would offer me is 10 dollars off a month and with that I couldn't get any offers for 2 years that might come up.

#26 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

I just got off the phone with Cablevision. They offered me 79.99 ultimate triple play (Boost +, Family TV, Phone) (3 DVR's) Total price after taxes is under 130.00. I would save 50+ dollars a month. 90+ for directv and 90+ for cablevision (boost+ and phone that I have now.)
I called Directv and the best they would offer me is 10 dollars off a month and with that I couldn't get any offers for 2 years that might come up.

Dump all phone services from anyone, and buy an ooma. Only a couple dollars a month for taxes, that's it. Saves you lots of money.

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

If you do switch, don't cancel DirecTV until you're sure. Suspend it for 5-6 months.

#28 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Didn't know you could suspend it. I have a 280 ETF from directv that Cablevision will pay as well for me. Not sure they would pay it after 4-5 months.

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,883 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:10 AM

Probably not. Canceling makes it more expensive to switch back if you don't like it on the other side.

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,562 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:27 AM

Probably not. Canceling makes it more expensive to switch back if you don't like it on the other side.

I would think if you paid the ETF, you'd be eligible for all new DirecTV customer discounts if you did want to return, so maybe not a bad thing if Cablevision picks that up. Also Cablevision has no ETF, at least in my neck of the woods. I'd just make sure that the Cablevision pricing is locked in for whatever period you agree to. I had Cablevision internet for what I thought was $30/month for 2 years, and they raised me to $50 after 12 months. They actually did me a favor, because it caused me to switch back to faster FiOS internet + phone at a great deal, with a 2-year price lock.

My daughter has had Cablevision service for years. DVR GUI is ugliest I've ever seen, but they work just fine. They are very reliable TV recording/watching appliances. Really no other bells or whistles.
/steve

#31 OFFLINE   nydennis

nydennis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

I could always put new service back in someone else' name if they did try to give me a hard time. Costco is offering decent deal for Directv as well.

I called Directv to see what if anything they would offer me. They would give me a10 dollar monthly credit and told me that I could not get any promotions for 24 months if I accepted the 10 dollar monthly credit. I really don't want to leave Directv, but saving 50+ dollars a month is hard to pass up.

#32 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:21 PM

This may help you.

http://ww.avsforum.c...d.php?t=1058081

Mike

Also take into account the number of OnDemand stations. DirecTV deso pretty well on that. Dish is sad. Comcrap has quite a few too.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...