Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

adding a 6th room

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   getsideways

getsideways

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

I currently have 5 dvr's. (hr20,hr23, old style tivo and 2 r16) I ran a line into another room so i can move a r16 receiver into that room from another room when i want to. problem is now i dont know where to hook it up or if i need another splitter. there is a swm box in the house for the receivers that are swm capable. here is a picture of my rooftop setup. the open port on the splitter is red so i dont know if i can use it. the 2 coming out of the legacy ports go to my old tivo i assume. thanks

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

You shouldn't have a problem connecting to the splitter, "BUT" the SWiM-16 has two outputs and each can have NO MORE THAN eight tuners [DVR =2] connected, which might require you to use the other output to connect the additional receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   getsideways

getsideways

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

so i should try plugging my new line into the one open red port on the splitter? and leave the cable open in the room i pull the receiver out of? i keep reading about terminating ports? im not really adding more tuners, im just moving one dvr from one room to another. i forgot to mention that right now the 2 r16 are in rooms next to each other so the last installer just split the line in the room and ran a line thru interior wall for the other room.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

It always helps to know the whole story, but there isn't any problem using "the red" port. Terminating unused ports "should be" done.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

I guess I have to ask the dum question about the splitters being on the roof. Why? I also do not see a ground wire and it looks like this is a commerical flat type roof, correct?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...