Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Converting from 4 wire LNB to 1 wire SWM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

I did some research and just want to confirm if this what I need to convert an existing AU9S (Slimline) connected to a 5 LNB (4 wire type) to a SWM (5 LNB or 3 LNB) setup?

replace the existing lnb (4 wire type) to an SWM type LNB and re-align dish.
add a 21V Power Inserter to the single cable line coming out of the new lnb.
add a 4-way or 8 way SWM splitter after the power inserter so additional receivers can be hooked up later.

Is that the way to go?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

The power inserter can be anywhere in the coax chain, and the splitters can be before or after the power inserter. You can have any combination of 2-way/4-way/8-way splitters, and you will need to terminate any unused splitter connection. Be aware that with the swm-lnb, the max number of tuners is 8 (dvrs count as 2 tuners). If you plan to upgrade to MRV in the future, you should get the green label splitters. When I swapped out my old lnb with a new swm-lnb, I did not have to adjust the dish.

:)

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

The power inserter can be anywhere in the coax chain, ...

Kinda...it needs to be on the correct (red) in/out of the splitter. (VOS will correctly explain better than me.)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

I did some research and just want to confirm if this what I need to convert an existing AU9S (Slimline) connected to a 5 LNB (4 wire type) to a SWM (5 LNB or 3 LNB) setup?

Do you have (or plan to have) eight or fewer tuners?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

Kinda...it needs to be on the correct (red) in/out of the splitter. (VOS will correctly explain better than me.)

It can go before the splitter, and if it's after, then it needs to be connected to the power passing port of the splitter, which is marked and has the red connector.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

Do you have (or plan to have) eight or fewer tuners?

One HD DVR, but I would like the capability to expand if required. I understand that 1 DVR uses two connections, so a 4 way splitter supports 2 receivers and a 8 way supports 4 receivers.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:30 AM

One HD DVR, but I would like the capability to expand if required. I understand that 1 DVR uses two connections, so a 4 way splitter supports 2 receivers and a 8 way supports 4 receivers.

That isn't how splitters work.
The 8 tuner limit is from the SWiM. Splitters pass ALL the signals to their outputs, so you could have a 2-way splitter feeding 2 DVRs have use all four tuners.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

The power inserter can be anywhere in the coax chain, and the splitters can be before or after the power inserter. You can have any combination of 2-way/4-way/8-way splitters, and you will need to terminate any unused splitter connection. Be aware that with the swm-lnb, the max number of tuners is 8 (dvrs count as 2 tuners). If you plan to upgrade to MRV in the future, you should get the green label splitters. When I swapped out my old lnb with a new swm-lnb, I did not have to adjust the dish.

thanks, 8 (tuner) limit is more than enough.
mrv is a future consideration, so I will look for Green Label Splitters
as for re-adjusting, did you swap a 5 lnb with a 3 lnb swm?

Edited by Relativity, 06 September 2011 - 03:35 PM.
changed (receiver) to (tuner)

#9 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

That isn't how splitters work.
The 8 tuner limit is from the SWiM. Splitters pass ALL the signals to their outputs, so you could have a 2-way splitter feeding 2 DVRs have use all four tuners.

so what you're saying is only one wire is required to use the dual tuners on a DVR with SWM? the sat in connections on the HR24, you have Satellite 1 - SWM (2), and Satellite 2. One wire is connected to the SWM (2) connector? and that will support dual tuners?

#10 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

so what you're saying is only one wire is required to use the dual tuners on a DVR with SWM? the sat in connections on the HR24, you have Satellite 1 - SWM (2), and Satellite 2. One wire is connected to the SWM (2) connector? and that will support dual tuners?

Correct. The SWM (2) indicates the number of SWM channels (tuners) that the HR24 will use.

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

thanks, 8 receiver limit is more than enough.
mrv is a future consideration, so I will look for Green Label Splitters

I believe that it is 8 Tuners, not eight receivers. a dual tuner DVR would use 2 out of the 8.

Anybody care to correct me if I understand it wrong?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

I believe that it is 8 Tuners, not eight receivers. a dual tuner DVR would use 2 out of the 8.

Anybody care to correct me if I understand it wrong?

yes it is 8 tuners, the DVR uses 2. I used the term receiver incorrectly here.

#13 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

It can go before the splitter, and if it's after, then it needs to be connected to the power passing port of the splitter, which is marked and has the red connector.

so the power inserter can go just before one of the receivers without trouble? this would make things easier if a power plug is not available near the splitter.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

so the power inserter can go just before one of the receivers without trouble? this would make things easier if a power plug is not available near the splitter.

"As if" DirecTV hadn't thought of this. :lol:
In this case, it just needs to be connected to the correct port of the splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

Excellent! Now that I understand the wiring, and requirements. I guess my only concern now is replacing a LNB (5 lnb type) with a 3 LNB SWM type. Would that require re-alignment on an existing setup? I would think yes, but I am not sure.

Also I noticed two different models of inserters, a 21V and 29V powered model. Is the 29V for someone with long cable runs ,and or, multiple receivers?

Edited by Relativity, 06 September 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

Excellent! Now that I understand the wiring, and requirements. I guess my only concern now is replacing a LNB (5 lnb type) with a 3 LNB SWM type. Would that require re-alignment on an existing setup? I would think yes, but I am not sure.

Also I noticed two different models of inserters, a 21V and 29V powered model. Is the 29V for someone with long cable runs ,and or, multiple receivers?

It never hurts to check the alignment, "but" a SL5 to SL3 swap doesn't change the alignment.
The 21 volt is used with the SWiMLNB, while the 29 volt is used on the other SWiMs. You can use the 29 on the SWiMLNB, though. If you've got really long cables that may have more loss than normal, then the 29 volt helps.
This has nothing to do with how many receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:42 PM

Just made a swap to a SWiM LNB (thanks to VOS for the suggestion) and did not require realignment. In fact my signals have improved on all birds.

#18 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Just made a swap to a SWiM LNB (thanks to VOS for the suggestion) and did not require realignment. In fact my signals have improved on all birds.

did you swap to a 3 or 5 lnb swm?

#19 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

I went from a regular 5-lnb to a swm 5-lnb. My setup is like Figure 10 in the swm-lnb help document, with the power inserter located in my computer room.

DBSTalk First Look - SWM-enabled Slimline LNB

#20 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

Last summer I installed a new HD setup for my sister. I used a 5 LNB, 4-coax unit for alignment (my meter doesn't work on SWM). Once aligned, I swapped in the 3 LNB SWM assembly.

I checked signal strength on all transponders before and after the swap and could discern no noticeable change between the two.

Technically, unless one does something to physically distort the configuration (bump the dish, bend the LNB arm, etc) there should be no difference between the LNBs as far as alignment is concerned. Electrically, there could be some differences in signal strength or fade margin because there are different electronic components involved (noise figure of RF transistors, internal gain characteristics, etc), but these differences should be minimal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...