Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Videos don't work over media share

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

I cannot get videos to play over media share. I've tried WMP and Tversity and I just get the message "The video [name] could not be played successfully". They are in avi format and they play perfectly fine on my PC. I can view photos perfectly fine. Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

I think media share can only play videos of the .mp4 variation currently. Try using playon
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Ken Slay

Ken Slay

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

You could also give Serviio (free) or Mezzmo (15 day trial) a try. I am confident they will solve your compatibility problems.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

Actually it's MPEG-2 videos that Media Share can play, if I recall. It's been a while.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

If using TVersity, make sure you have selected to have Tversity's "transcode" option set to Always Transcode. this will corect your issue.

#6 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.

You could also give Serviio (free) or Mezzmo (15 day trial) a try. I am confident they will solve your compatibility problems.

I think media share can only play videos of the .mp4 variation currently. Try using playon

I'll try Serviio. I don't need to do this badly enough to pay for an app.

Actually it's MPEG-2 videos that Media Share can play, if I recall. It's been a while.

Then why does it let me see them in the list if it is unable to play avi format?

If using TVersity, make sure you have selected to have Tversity's "transcode" option set to Always Transcode. this will corect your issue.

I tried that, it made no difference.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:20 AM

You have to be using a slightly older version of Tversity as well, nothing past 1.88 works currently..

#8 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Download version 1.8 and video files will play out just fine. Don't forget to also download the codec files too.

All other later versions still do not work with DirecTV receivers including the recent 1.9+. Don't know why....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...