Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV to Present at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media Conference

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

From http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=603830

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV will present at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference on Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011 at 2:20 p.m. PT/5:20 p.m. ET. The presentation will include an update and outlook on the DIRECTV businesses. A live webcast of the presentation will be available at www.directv.com/investor and an archive of the webcast will also be available on this website.

Date: Thursday, Sept. 15, 2011
Time: 2:20 p.m. PT/5:20 p.m. ET
Speaker: Patrick T. Doyle, executive vice president & CFO
Webcast: www.directv.com/investor

While usually these are just talks about the numbers sometimes they do drop a pearl of information about new hardware an/or features. With October coming up fairly soon sure hoping they give an update on the stuff they have said would come out in October.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

They would have chosen a better bank-at least one not on the brink of default :nono2:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

DIRECTV doesn't pick who hosts the conference. And I suspect it is the bank itself that runs the conference as Merrill Lynch has been running these for years. It gives ML a way to get analyists, investors, and companies all together.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Anyone know where to pick up the live webcast? I have three monitors at work, no reason to not have it in a stam-size window somewhere to hear what it is all about... but no live webcast link can be found. Only the one for august 4th.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

Anyone know where to pick up the live webcast? I have three monitors at work, no reason to not have it in a stam-size window somewhere to hear what it is all about... but no live webcast link can be found. Only the one for august 4th.

The link is shown in the quote in the first post. On the day of the web cast go there and there will be a link to the webcast

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Will major features be shown off or just news/info to please investors?

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Will major features be shown off or just news/info to please investors?

Kevin

Mostly just investment news, but sometimes they mention something techie.

Edited by RAD, 07 September 2011 - 07:58 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

They would have chosen a better bank-at least one not on the brink of default :nono2:

NOT EVEN close to default. BofA is the strongest bank in NA right now, trust me. My wife is an exec there and noes more than anyone here. She knows the present and past CEO very well and knows much of the inside info.

Just a FYI, that the POTUS and Congress FORCED BofA to take on loans last year and BUY ML because they did not want ML to fail. Those are FACTS.

So please make sure you have some before expressing your uneducated opinion on the matter.

#9 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

NOT EVEN close to default. BofA is the strongest bank in NA right now, trust me. My wife is an exec there and noes more than anyone here. She knows the present and past CEO very well and knows much of the inside info.

Just a FYI, that the POTUS and Congress FORCED BofA to take on loans last year and BUY ML because they did not want ML to fail. Those are FACTS.

So please make sure you have some before expressing your uneducated opinion on the matter.

While [slightly] off topic, BoA is neither at risk of default, nor the strongest bank in NA right now. They certainly have their share of problems, like every other big bank.

http://money.cnn.com...x.htm?iid=HP_LN

Forbes has them ranked at 76th this year (down from 47th last year).

http://www.forbes.co...orst-banks.html

Edited by hilmar2k, 08 September 2011 - 07:55 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:28 AM

Now I understand how easy it is for you to spot a "FAN BOY" :lol:

Only time time will tell -as for not understanding often those that are standing in the forest often have trouble see the trees's :eek2:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hey here is an idea for D*. Why don't you use one of your channels to broadcast the meeting for all of us to watch,

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:06 AM

Hey here is an idea for D*. Why don't you use one of your channels to broadcast the meeting for all of us to watch,

It's an audio only webcast which is geared towards the investment banks, not the consumer or individual investor, but you're free to call in or listen to the web cast.

#13 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

When I saw the title I just had this picture in my mind of a particular movie scene. One where there is a meeting of bosses in the Catskills, and the G-men are hiding outside taking pictures. (I'm not talking about Directv). They should have had the internal fortitude not to have ML shoved on them and they are as culpable as anyone else in the mortgage mess. I am sure BA employees have a different view of the company than consumers, but we all get to have our opinions.

#14 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Wasn't BofA one of the banks that was busy foreclosing on homes that they didn't even carry the mortgage on or that were paid off?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Wasn't BofA one of the banks that was busy foreclosing on homes that they didn't even carry the mortgage on or that were paid off?

One of them, yep. They were also sued by a couple that had their home foreclosed on by BoA and they never even had a mortgage, paid cash for their home. They sued BoA and won but didn't pay the judgement, so the judge in the case ordered the foreclosure on a BoA branch, sheriff and movers showed up to evict them.

#16 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

One of them, yep. They were also sued by a couple that had their home foreclosed on by BoA and they never even had a mortgage, paid cash for their home. They sued BoA and won but didn't pay the judgement, so the judge in the case ordered the foreclosure on a BoA branch, sheriff and movers showed up to evict them.

BoA's purchase of Countrywide Mortgage was far more than they could chew. They (BoA) had no idea what they were in for. Countrywide was a complete mess. Not making excuses, BoA should have known what they were getting, and handled the acquisition infinitely better than they did.

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

While I have my own opinions regarding Bank of America too, please let us talk about the conference, not the host.

Thanks,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#18 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

BoA's purchase of Countrywide Mortgage was far more than they could chew. They (BoA) had no idea what they were in for. Countrywide was a complete mess. Not making excuses, BoA should have known what they were getting, and handled the acquisition infinitely better than they did.

They had no choice. Thanks to the US Goverment.

#19 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

If interested don't forget that this is today, at 5:20PM EDT, http://dtv.client.sh...?EventID=102420

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

So far nothing really new.

- HD GUI in fourth quarter
- Whole Home Media Server and nomad, sounds like they're now sometime withing the next six months.
- Targeted local ad's, starting with HD DVR's only on 25 channels in 25 markets in the fourth quarter. Starting next year SD DVR's will be included and increase to 50 channels in 50 markets.
- Happy with the take on the premium channels, not seeing as high a take on PPV events as they'd like. Sounded like PPV movie purchases down a bit from what they wanted.

spam firewall