Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV to Present at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media Conference

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

Sounded like DIRECTV will be taking a harder look at sports programming channel additions and costs. Mentioned that spors providers need to stop the increased costs and all the additional channels, specically mentioned Longhorn Network, Pac 12 Network and Lakers Networks.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

- Targeted local ad's, starting with HD DVR's only on 25 channels in 25 markets in the fourth quarter. Starting next year SD DVR's will be included and increase to 50 channels in 50 markets.

Just a thought, since they mention "DVR" only: Could this what the "push" system is going to be used for? One of the big problems that satellite always had was that it couldn't advertise locally on national channels like TNT, Bravo, Discovery, etc. But instead of having to use the LiL spotbeams to "insert" commercials (and with 25 channels there is a high probability that around the whole and half hour, at least 10 different local commercials are running at the same time), could they "push" them to a little bit of reserved hard drive space (commercials don't take that much space) and call them up when they are needed to be shown?

The "push" would be done CONUS, like the 20 or so push channels are now, and DVR's will just save the pushed that are meant for the zipcode it is configured for to be in.

Or am I really thinking too far out of the box now?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#23 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Sounded like DIRECTV will be taking a harder look at sports programming channel additions and costs. Mentioned that spors providers need to stop the increased costs and all the additional channels, specically mentioned Longhorn Network, Pac 12 Network and Lakers Networks.

I missed the webcast, you say there is talk on there intention about some sports programming and it's cost.

I hope this leads to them getting a fair price on CSN philly

#24 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Just a thought, since they mention "DVR" only: Could this what the "push" system is going to be used for? One of the big problems that satellite always had was that it couldn't advertise locally on national channels like TNT, Bravo, Discovery, etc. But instead of having to use the LiL spotbeams to "insert" commercials (and with 25 channels there is a high probability that around the whole and half hour, at least 10 different local commercials are running at the same time), could they "push" them to a little bit of reserved hard drive space (commercials don't take that much space) and call them up when they are needed to be shown?

The "push" would be done CONUS, like the 20 or so push channels are now, and DVR's will just save the pushed that are meant for the zipcode it is configured for to be in.

Or am I really thinking too far out of the box now?

I have no information on how that would work but if I'd have to guess that's how it will work.

#25 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

I missed the webcast, you say there is talk on there intention about some sports programming and it's cost.

I hope this leads to them getting a fair price on CSN philly

I think in the past the assumption was that DIRECTV would just get any sports channel since they were the sports leader. But with the RSN's always wanting big increases and adding niche channels it sounds like DIRECTV will be taking a hard line with new channels and pricing.

#26 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

There's an interesting take on the presentation over at Deadline Hollywood Daily with the headline, Directv Blames Economy for Weak Sub Growth and PPV Spending.

They even throw in speculation about Directv's past desires to merge with Dish.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#27 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

I think in the past the assumption was that DIRECTV would just get any sports channel since they were the sports leader. But with the RSN's always wanting big increases and adding niche channels it sounds like DIRECTV will be taking a hard line with new channels and pricing.

They best be careful with that approach. I for one, and their are many just like me, love DIRECTV because of the sports offerings. If a hardline will result in other providers offering sports channels that DIRECTV refuses to carry I will take my business, as will multitudes of others, elsewhere. Been with DIRECTV since 1998 and the shenanigans that ESPN and DIRECTV pulled over ESPNUHD and Comcast and DIRECTV pulled over Versus was ridiculous. I'm a $200+ a month customer and am willing to pay for sports as are many others. Don't sacrifice the high dollar customers over rights fees, that will be a big mistake for DIRECTV.

#28 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

There's an interesting take on the presentation over at Deadline Hollywood Daily with the headline, Directv Blames Economy for Weak Sub Growth and PPV Spending.

While I would not have prefered DirecTV's merger with DISH I do agree with Patrick Doyle on how it would have strengthened their negotiating power. With the amount of unemployment and zero job growth for the month of August I can agree with their assessment of the poor economy causing their weak growth rate. For months my wife and I have noticed people are buying less groceries at the supermarkets. A sure sign of belt tightening.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#29 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

The story didn't mention that they saw good numbers in July and August and were very happy with the NFL-ST promotion. He also mentioned that 50% of new HD customers are taking the WHDVR function.

#30 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

Maybe they shouldn't have spent millions bringing in a dog like DAMAGES which nobody watches too.

#31 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:01 AM

They best be careful with that approach. I for one, and their are many just like me, love DIRECTV because of the sports offerings. If a hardline will result in other providers offering sports channels that DIRECTV refuses to carry I will take my business, as will multitudes of others, elsewhere. Been with DIRECTV since 1998 and the shenanigans that ESPN and DIRECTV pulled over ESPNUHD and Comcast and DIRECTV pulled over Versus was ridiculous. I'm a $200+ a month customer and am willing to pay for sports as are many others. Don't sacrifice the high dollar customers over rights fees, that will be a big mistake for DIRECTV.

They could always charge a higher premium for sports.

I certainly have no interest in my bill going up any higher so some people can watch grown men play with balls, but to each their own...

~Alan

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

Maybe they shouldn't have spent millions bringing in a dog like DAMAGES which nobody watches too.

Nobody huh? I guess a million viewers is nobody. It wasn't huge ratings, but that doesn't mean nobody watched. It's won a few Emmys and other critics awards.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,522 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

One man's candy can be another man's poison. I havn't watched one episode of Mad Men. Does that make it a dog? Programing comes down to personal preference.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#34 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Wrong topic, edit.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#35 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

One man's candy can be another man's poison. I havn't watched one episode of Mad Men. Does that make it a dog? Programing comes down to personal preference.

Ditto. I watch a TON of tv here too. Damages is way better than mad men IMHO.

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

And I liked Friday Nights Lights so IMHO they didn't waste their $'s on that series.

spam firewall