Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade from Series 2 Tivos

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trelease

trelease

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

I have 2 SD Series 2 Tivos...self-installed in 2003. I've had to replace the Tivo's over years but bought used ones...both of which are zippered. I'm pretty sure these are listed as "owned" in DIRECTV's system, but at some point a "leased" fee showed up on my account. When I called about it, I was told, it's just a relabel of the additional receiver fee.

I've been growing tired of waiting for the new DirecTivo and now that the training video is out calling out that it won't support MRV which has been available for Tivos for years, just sets the point home that DirecTV isn't really interested in making that relationship really successful. I think I'm ready to make the move to a DirecTV HDDVR.

I think I'm going to go with 2 HDDVRs, WHDVR service, DIRECTTV Cinema. I know I can't guarantee that I'll get HR24s, but obviously that's the model I want. Also not at all interested in doing my own install...too fat a lazy now. I have a couple of questions:

If I get a deal from DIRECTV:
  • Will the installer insist on taking my Series 2 boxes? I have a lot of shows saved, plus an upgraded hard drive. I'd like to retain these.
  • If I have to give up the boxes, will any do? I have a couple collecting dust in my basement with bad tuners.
  • What are my options if I don't get HR24s...can I reject them?

If I buy the HR24s elsewhere, I know I will need a bunch of new equipment, dish, etc.
  • Can I call up DIRECTV to do the install and will they provide everything else? Or am I stuck buying all the components?

Than you in advance for helping!

Mike

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

I can guarantee they have no desire for your tivos. And they will do the install for you, just tell the car what you are doing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...