Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Customer No Service and Lies

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joe_it

joe_it

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Hello Everyone,

I referred a friend of mine to DirecTV and now I am wishing I hadn't. I have had my share of problems with DirecTV customer no service but I have always been able to get past issues until now.

A friend of mine moved two states away and moved into an apartment building. Her options were Comcast or DirecTV. I told her DirecTV is awesome, comcast you don't know what you might get. She will be moving every 3-6 months for the next year on contract work so DirecTV seemed like a good option. So she calls DirecTV and this is what they tell her.

- $60 for Installation, nothing more to pay (paid over the phone)
- DVR will be shipped to her apartment
- Call to Schedule appointment when it arrives.
- One Year Contract

So she gets a receiver, gets the installer over at her place and low and behold the installer wants $60 for custom installation and another $60 for a pole to put her dish on. So she calls DirecTV asking what is going on, this is not what I was told. DirecTV then tells her she was billed $30 for shipping over the phone and another $30 for installation, but that was for Basic Installation, custom installation is Extra. She is obviously upset here because she was promised nothing extra for the install, but she could live with it. The two extra gotchas was she was promised a 1 year contract (I was shocked to that they would do 1 year) and it was now 2 years, and the DVR she was promised was just a receiver.

The call to customer service yielded nothing.. She is being charged an extra $120 from what she was charged INITIALLY over the phone, an extra 1 year contract was added over what the salesperson told her, and the DVR she was supposed to be getting is just a receiver. I feel HORRIBLE right now, someone who I care about as a friend was just royally screwed by a salesperson. Customer no service has told my friend we are sorry that you were lied to (the call was recorded and nobody will go and listen to it) but there is nothing that we can do, it is what it is. Not a free DVR or an offer to exchange for it, not a credit to her account for the extra charges that she was promised she would not be charged for, and we are sorry but you get stuck with an extra year over what was promised.

I have never felt so ashamed of the way anyone has been treated in my entire life. I can't believe that I am still a customer after the way they treated my friend. Does anyone have any suggestions? She has called customer service twice and they don't seem to care. I'm considering opening a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but I don't know how far that will go.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

DIRECTV doesn't ship equipment so it sounds like a dealer install. It sounds like it's been a few weeks since the installation or DIRECTV could probably correct it. The new customer agreement has been 2 years for awhile now.

Next time I would recommend using the refer a friend which goes through DIRECTV and as well getting a better discount for both of you.

#3 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:15 AM

Hello Everyone,

I referred a friend of mine to DirecTV and now I am wishing I hadn't. I have had my share of problems with DirecTV customer no service but I have always been able to get past issues until now.

A friend of mine moved two states away and moved into an apartment building. Her options were Comcast or DirecTV. I told her DirecTV is awesome, comcast you don't know what you might get. She will be moving every 3-6 months for the next year on contract work so DirecTV seemed like a good option. So she calls DirecTV and this is what they tell her.

- $60 for Installation, nothing more to pay (paid over the phone)
- DVR will be shipped to her apartment
- Call to Schedule appointment when it arrives.
- One Year Contract

So she gets a receiver, gets the installer over at her place and low and behold the installer wants $60 for custom installation and another $60 for a pole to put her dish on. So she calls DirecTV asking what is going on, this is not what I was told. DirecTV then tells her she was billed $30 for shipping over the phone and another $30 for installation, but that was for Basic Installation, custom installation is Extra. She is obviously upset here because she was promised nothing extra for the install, but she could live with it. The two extra gotchas was she was promised a 1 year contract (I was shocked to that they would do 1 year) and it was now 2 years, and the DVR she was promised was just a receiver.

The call to customer service yielded nothing.. She is being charged an extra $120 from what she was charged INITIALLY over the phone, an extra 1 year contract was added over what the salesperson told her, and the DVR she was supposed to be getting is just a receiver. I feel HORRIBLE right now, someone who I care about as a friend was just royally screwed by a salesperson. Customer no service has told my friend we are sorry that you were lied to (the call was recorded and nobody will go and listen to it) but there is nothing that we can do, it is what it is. Not a free DVR or an offer to exchange for it, not a credit to her account for the extra charges that she was promised she would not be charged for, and we are sorry but you get stuck with an extra year over what was promised.

I have never felt so ashamed of the way anyone has been treated in my entire life. I can't believe that I am still a customer after the way they treated my friend. Does anyone have any suggestions? She has called customer service twice and they don't seem to care. I'm considering opening a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but I don't know how far that will go.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

Directv people will specificly state that any custom work - like wire fishing is an additional charge that needs to be negotiated with the installer, the 60.00 that she was quoted was for a standard installation - aka punch through the outer wall and feed the cable. Not sure about the pole mount, unless it required a special mounting bracket - I thought that there was no additional charge, given the fact you mention it is an apartment, then suspect it did need a special mounting bracket

Commitment has always been 2 years for a dvr, not 1 year, this is documented on their website. Have never seen or heard of them lowering the commitment time limit for anything

#4 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:58 AM

Not having Comcast is worth the extra money.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#5 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

Contact these guys....they may be able to help your friend out.

http://www.directv.c...60016#h:563.219
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#6 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Find out what # she called. If it was from one of those flyers in the mail, more than likely it was from a D* dealer.

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

What it sounds like is she was originally set up as a multiple dwelling unit customer but somehow things got switched around and she was installed as a regular customer.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'm not sure DirecTV is a very smart choice for someone who will be moving every three to six months while under contract anyway.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#9 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

A friend of mine moved two states away and moved into an apartment building. Her options were Comcast or DirecTV.

Sounds like an "mdu" type property install that got screwed up because she called a DirecTV local provider instead of her building's system operator.

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'm not sure DirecTV is a very smart choice for someone who will be moving every three to six months while under contract anyway.

but at least with directv you can take your DRV with you and not lose shows or have to learn a all new channel map.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

but at least with directv you can take your DRV with you and not lose shows or have to learn a all new channel map.

Right, plus if there is no way to get a signal, you don't pay an ETF.

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

I believe we have 24 hours after the install to cancel and void the contract. I would of told the installer to hit the bricks right there, cancelled D* and then resigned up again with terms I could live with. For one why send her the receiver before the install and I would not have had it installed with the incorrect equipment. If the box was a SD receiver only I think the commitment is shorter. They have to act fast to get things changed. Hope it works out and let us know.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

Thats true, if they need a custom install at each place that could get expensive. They only allow one move per year I believe and I think you have to have service for at least 6 months before they will pay for the first one.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Yep. Bad recommendation as Movers Connection is "available once in any 12 month period". She should get out of her contract now if possible.

#15 OFFLINE   jameskelly

jameskelly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

Why do most of you defend DTV? Are you stock holders or something? They are nothing but a very large money sucking conglomorate co. that lies to their customers. Customer Service is the worst around. They know nothing about the product. :mad:

#16 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Directv people will specificly state that any custom work - like wire fishing is an additional charge that needs to be negotiated with the installer, the 60.00 that she was quoted was for a standard installation - aka punch through the outer wall and feed the cable. Not sure about the pole mount, unless it required a special mounting bracket - I thought that there was no additional charge, given the fact you mention it is an apartment, then suspect it did need a special mounting bracket

Commitment has always been 2 years for a dvr, not 1 year, this is documented on their website. Have never seen or heard of them lowering the commitment time limit for anything

I have had my committment ended well before it's time because of problems that I had with their equipment and service and CSRs misinforming of charges and other things.

Rich

#17 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

Why do most of you defend DTV? Are you stock holders or something? They are nothing but a very large money sucking conglomorate co. that lies to their customers. Customer Service is the worst around. They know nothing about the product. :mad:

Gotta disagree with you on that statement. Verizon is worse, Cablevision is worse. Both are wayyyy worse than D*. I think.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

I have ceased recommending DirecTV to friends a few years ago, for many reasons, including a story similar to the OPs.

They are sloppily run, it should not take e-mails to the office of a VP to get day to day stuff resolved. This is why I posted the other thread to see if anyone had noticed any changes since that Undercover Boss episode.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#19 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:13 AM

Gotta disagree with you on that statement. Verizon is worse, Cablevision is worse. Both are wayyyy worse than D*. I think.

Rich

+1

And also wayyy more expensive for setups like mines anyway, with 6 DVRs, 1 STB, and the Premiere package. Less capable equipment too ...

But hey, if the poster can suggest a better pay provider though who can offer me roughly the equivalent to what I have now. One who is not really "a money sucking conglomerate" and is mostly about altruism and honesty, I'm more than prepared to hear it. :rolleyes:

#20 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,203 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

+1

And also wayyy more expensive for setups like mines anyway, with 6 DVRs, 1 STB, and the Premiere package. Less capable equipment too ...

But hey, if the poster can suggest a better pay provider though who can offer me roughly the equivalent to what I have now. One who is not really "a money sucking conglomerate" and is mostly about altruism and honesty, I'm more than prepared to hear it. :rolleyes:

If that provider existed, I'd use it. There simply is no better, cheaper provider than D*.

Rich

spam firewall