Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Customer No Service and Lies

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

I don't believe the thread is about the quality of the delivered product or price. Rather, it's about the customer "service" experience.

Personally, I stick with them because of the former, and in spite of the latter. I will say, without this forum, and its help, I'd have banished them from my house a long time ago, though. Every time I have to call them I end up wanting to tear my hair out by the very roots.

If that provider existed, I'd use it. There simply is no better, cheaper provider than D*.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Why do most of you defend DTV? Are you stock holders or something? They are nothing but a very large money sucking conglomorate co. that lies to their customers. Customer Service is the worst around. They know nothing about the product. :mad:

Obviously you've never dealt with Verizon... :D

In over four years I've only dealt with one clueless DirecTV CSR. He had no idea what Sonic Tap channels were. I politely thanked him, hung up, and called again.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:05 PM

I have ceased recommending DirecTV to friends a few years ago, for many reasons, including a story similar to the OPs.

They are sloppily run, it should not take e-mails to the office of a VP to get day to day stuff resolved. This is why I posted the other thread to see if anyone had noticed any changes since that Undercover Boss episode.

It's really weird that some people, like yourself, have such serious issues with CSRs so often. Other than having issues with improper handling of credits about 5 years ago, I seem to always get stuff handled properly and efficiently.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

It's really weird that some people, like yourself, have such serious issues with CSRs so often. Other than having issues with improper handling of credits about 5 years ago, I seem to always get stuff handled properly and efficiently.

For the most part, that has been my experience with both D* and E*. Most every issue gets handled properly the first time, with a very few exceptions and even they get handled with a little more effort.

The good part of all of this is that once things are installed and running right, most never have an issue for quite a long time. When I was with Dish recently, and DirecTV before that, things that happened or not at first, just weren't an issue for the next couple years or so.

But I understand the frustration. Customer service just isn't what it used to be and most likely never will again.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#25 OFFLINE   diggerg56

diggerg56

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

Had to be an authorized dealer or something like that. Directv's current new customer offer is compleyely different then what it described here. They do not pre-ship units to the customer either on a new install. Something's not right here.

#26 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

The OP's issue is with a dealer and then their friend having something installed that they didn't want.

As for other people well I'm guessing that it's as much the people that call in as the people on the other line. I find people that frequent forums a lot for a company usually complain more because they "know" how it should really be and that they "know" more than the people on the phones. In many cases this can be true because there's no reason for the people who take the calls to know about transponders and things.

I missed the OP part about opening a BBB complaint. Doing so won't do anything because you can't open a complaint on behalf of someone else. They would have to do it themself.

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Why do most of you defend DTV? Are you stock holders or something? They are nothing but a very large money sucking conglomorate co. that lies to their customers. Customer Service is the worst around. They know nothing about the product. :mad:

And yet. I have the opposite experience and so do my folks. Heck, other than long waits, I don't have problems with AT&T either. Now back when I had charter cable.. Good grief....

People aren't just defending dtv. It is total common sense that a company will only include a basic install with a setup of any kind. That's all anyone would do, anything beyond is extra. It all comes down to expectations, and I know I think a lot of people question peoples expectations more than defend DirecTV.

As for his other issues, I still don't think we know how he set all this up, because if it was a dealer, then how can we blame DirecTV. We need all the facts first, and then hey, there are ways to fix the issue. Shouldn't be any in the first place,but it happens, and you always here far more about the problems than the good things...

#28 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hello Everyone,

I referred a friend of mine to DirecTV and now I am wishing I hadn't. I have had my share of problems with DirecTV customer no service but I have always been able to get past issues until now.

A friend of mine moved two states away and moved into an apartment building. Her options were Comcast or DirecTV. I told her DirecTV is awesome, comcast you don't know what you might get. She will be moving every 3-6 months for the next year on contract work so DirecTV seemed like a good option. So she calls DirecTV and this is what they tell her.

- $60 for Installation, nothing more to pay (paid over the phone)
- DVR will be shipped to her apartment
- Call to Schedule appointment when it arrives.
- One Year Contract

So she gets a receiver, gets the installer over at her place and low and behold the installer wants $60 for custom installation and another $60 for a pole to put her dish on. So she calls DirecTV asking what is going on, this is not what I was told. DirecTV then tells her she was billed $30 for shipping over the phone and another $30 for installation, but that was for Basic Installation, custom installation is Extra. She is obviously upset here because she was promised nothing extra for the install, but she could live with it. The two extra gotchas was she was promised a 1 year contract (I was shocked to that they would do 1 year) and it was now 2 years, and the DVR she was promised was just a receiver.

The call to customer service yielded nothing.. She is being charged an extra $120 from what she was charged INITIALLY over the phone, an extra 1 year contract was added over what the salesperson told her, and the DVR she was supposed to be getting is just a receiver. I feel HORRIBLE right now, someone who I care about as a friend was just royally screwed by a salesperson. Customer no service has told my friend we are sorry that you were lied to (the call was recorded and nobody will go and listen to it) but there is nothing that we can do, it is what it is. Not a free DVR or an offer to exchange for it, not a credit to her account for the extra charges that she was promised she would not be charged for, and we are sorry but you get stuck with an extra year over what was promised.

I have never felt so ashamed of the way anyone has been treated in my entire life. I can't believe that I am still a customer after the way they treated my friend. Does anyone have any suggestions? She has called customer service twice and they don't seem to care. I'm considering opening a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, but I don't know how far that will go.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

As someone that works in new customer sales, I can 100% guarantee that your friend set up through a Dealer. The only charges that are charged at setup are $19.95 for delivery/handling and any state taxes. I don't know the state but the worst case scenario is a use tax adjustment from Tennessee/Washington/Arkansas/Missouri/New York/Florida/Wisconsin and even those are $12-13 at most.
Directv does NOT ship equipment and then have you call to install. The tech brings the equipment with them. That is a dead give away that it is either a dealer flyer they called(and I'm not even sure dealers ship the equipment) or an MDU property, which sounds most likely. Also, if was set up through us(the over the phone group actually working for Directv) she would be receiving a confirmation email(assuming one was provided) showing what was on the order and asking her to do rebates. I didn't see any mention of that so I'm honestly leaning towards an MDU install here.
The issue that is being run into here is there isn't much general customer service can do, since it is a restricted property. I believe a link to Ellen F. was linked earlier and I would follow that lead as you will probably get the best results. I would also have a copy of the agreement that was signed handy to get the info of the installer and the company that was used, since that will most likely be requested( at least the company used). I do hope that this gets fixed because that is definately not something that should happen. I honestly wish MDU setups didn't exist because they seem to be more of a headache for customers than they are worth. I took a call today from someone who cried because the regular Directv offer was like $30 less expensive the one that her MDU property could get. I felt so bad.
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Obviously you've never dealt with Verizon... :D

Absolutely the worst. They'll say anything to pacify you. Blatant liars.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,412 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:22 PM

That is a dead give away that it is either a dealer flyer they called(and I'm not even sure dealers ship the equipment) or an MDU property, which sounds most likely.

I know Solid Signal will ship the equipment to the customer in advance of the install, but they also put a hold for the full price in case they aren't activated.

#31 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

I know Solid Signal will ship the equipment to the customer in advance of the install, but they also put a hold for the full price in case they aren't activated.

exactly, and I didn't see anything mentioned about that hold in the post. plus I know SS is good about giving correct information to customers.
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

#32 OFFLINE   DishCSR

DishCSR

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

What it sounds like is she was originally set up as a multiple dwelling unit customer but somehow things got switched around and she was installed as a regular customer.

That's exactly what it sounds like , an Mdu install, especially the part about the "choice" she had, either Comcast or dtv, and the "sales" person was with the mdu , not directv. Mdu's will ship the receiver before the install.
former dish csr

#33 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hope your enjoying being a new customer of the very large money sucking conglomorate known as Time Warner Cable. :rolleyes: DirecTV may not be perfect but they must be doing something right to have over 19+ million customers.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

spam firewall