Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

501 Remote

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   piersons

piersons

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 03:31 PM

Hi,

Just got a 501 hooked up to replace a failing DP, and was dismayed by the new remote. On the DP, one could hit 6429 to make the receiver use the old remote layout (much easier with the Pronto) and do just about everything PVR-wise with the main cursor. Is there any way to do something similar with the 501? (6429 doesn't work, by the way.)

Thanks!
Scott

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 03:54 PM

Hello piersons, and welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

I don't have a dishplayer, so I don't quite undertand your remote question. But, I contol my 501 with a pronto (tsu2000) and would be happy to email you my ccf if you'd like.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   piersons

piersons

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 04:32 PM

More info:

The dishplayer originally came with a remote with the standard number and general function buttons and a single set of cursor buttons--up, down, left, right, enter--which not only navigated the menus and guides, but also controlled the PTV functions (enter=play/pause; right/left=ff/rw; up/down=skip ahead/skip back). When they sent out the updated remotes (which look very much like the 501 remotes with the dedicated PVR function keys), the old remote would no longer work with the DP--many users, including myself, preferred the old way better, as it was a little more elegant and saved real-estate on the pronto screen. There is a code, 6429, that will reset the DP to work with the older-style remote.

So....I know it's a long shot, but I was hoping that there might be a double-secret-extra-hidden-code for the 501 to make it work with the other layout--the more I think about it, it is highly doubtable, since the 501 was probably originally designed with the current remote layout in mind.

I was just wondering if any other DP users who preferred the old remote style, AND had gone to a 501 (kind of a small sub-group?), had a solution or if they just adopted the new style.

Thanks for the ccf offer. I love to look at 'em. I will probably just whip one up. I can easily make the controls a cursor design--the issue is I either have to have two sets of controls on one screen (buttons become too small for my preference) or use two screens and have to switch back and forth between pages depending on what I'm doing. Right now, being able to have one cursor and a few other main controls on one page is nice. Ah well. To Pronto Edit I go.

Thanks.
Scott

#4 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 08:54 AM

I have the sony remote 501, has anybody had any luck using this remote without having to teach each individual key?

#5 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 24 April 2002 - 09:00 AM

Don't know about the sony, but I have a sima touchscreen remote that works well... I had to teach every key.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...