Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Component to HDMI conversion?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

I've run across an odd scenario. Over a year ago I took advantage of the two hot HD outputs on the 722 by running the component cables to the living room HDTV (same room the DVR is located in) and the HDMI cable to the bedroom HDTV (50 feet away). Everything worked as intended. Now, my Onkyo 876 AVR is acting up and no longer upconverting the component in from the DVR to the HDMI out to the HDTV. I'll get a blue screen for this and if I wait about five minutes it will start to work again. I did some searching online and it doesn't seem to be all that uncommon for the Onkyo cable conversion to be acting up. So now I have the HDMI going to the living room HDTV and the original SD coax feed going to the bedroom HDTV (Ugh!). Since I already have the HDMI cable run in the wall to the bedroom with HDMI wallplates, is it possible to utilize the component out from the 722 DVR to that HDMI wallplate? I see some 'component-to-HDMI' converters on Monoprice, but there's no reviews specific to the 722. It appears that most people use it for gaming or standard def applications. Anyone here have real experience in trying this setup? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Now, my Onkyo 876 AVR is acting up and no longer upconverting the component in from the DVR to the HDMI out to the HDTV.

why not just run the component DIRECTLY to the TV?

#3 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

That would require me to start selecting the input mode on my HDTV which I have yet to do. There's a lot of other sources on the AVR (PS3, CinemaTube Streamer and Wii). To do that would I would have to update my macros in my Universal Remote and I don't think there's a discrete button for an exact source input on the HDTV. Thus, the simplicity of watching Dish would confuse others (and irritate me) in the house by adding extra steps to get to the proper source.

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

You Probably should get a powered HDMI splitter from Monoprice. I know nthey work good to get multiple HDMI from a single source.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:21 PM

Well, looks like your going to hafta re-do the Remote programming anyway: Either run component to the TV or get a new AVR. Either way, your reprogramming your remote. Unless getting the Onkyo serviced is an option.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#6 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:12 PM

n0qcu's suggestion sounds interesting. Are powered HDMI splitter always hot or do I have to manually choose which HDMI source to use? Still would like to know if anyone has done component to HDMI conversion. And, no I won't be reprogramming the remote, as it won't be necessary with either of these two options.

#7 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

I have a powered HDMI splitter from Monoprice and it will work at 25 feet or so but I'm unsure if 50 feet would work. They are relatively inexpensive so certainly that is what I would try in your case.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall