Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Setting up my DVR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

DVR is a HR22-100

I recently switched to Verizon Fios...but I kept my DirecTV so I can have Sunday Ticket.
Anyway when Verizon came they of course disconnected my DirecTV to hook up the Fios.

The satellite dish is still on my roof and the wiring is still setup.

I have some pictures and just want to get some advice from you guys for the easiest way to set this back up.

Just would like to know the setup I have.
I just need one run to my room to get the DVR setup.
Luckily for me the wire from the dish goes right by my window so I can run a wire from the dish to my room.

What's the easiest way to get this setup?

Attached Thumbnails

• dish1.jpg
  • dish2.jpg
  • dish3.jpg
  • dish4.jpg
  • dish5.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,760 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

There looks to be a contradiction here.
You have one coax from the dish, it looks like, and you show a SWiM PI next to your DVR.
Now you also show the Zinwell WB68 with four coax connected to the inputs.
These are two completely different systems.
You'll need to find where the coax comes down from the dish "first". Then we might be able to sort this out for you.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

Ugh what I think happened was the Verizon Techs took the SWM splitter and replaced it with their own.

There used to be a different splitter in its place before.

Is there a place like Radio Shack I can go to to buy a new one for the SWM setup?

Attached Thumbnails

• dish6.jpg

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,760 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:57 AM

Ugh what I think happened was the Verizon Techs took the SWM splitter and replaced it with their own.

There used to be a different splitter in its place before.

Is there a place like Radio Shack I can go to to buy a new one for the SWM setup?

If you're only going to connect one receiver [DVR], you don't need a splitter.
Take the coax from the dish and connect it to the coax going to the location where you have the receiver. Connect the SWiM PI and then the receiver to the PI [MAKING SURE to NOT connect it backwards].
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   NateCohen

NateCohen

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

I got it!

Thanks for all your help!

Now I can enjoy some football tomorrow.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'd like to know why the Verizon techs even touched the DitecTV lines?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:34 AM

There looks to be a contradiction here.
You have one coax from the dish, it looks like, and you show a SWiM PI next to your DVR.
Now you also show the Zinwell WB68 with four coax connected to the inputs.
These are two completely different systems.
You'll need to find where the coax comes down from the dish "first". Then we might be able to sort this out for you.

If I were to guess, the Zinwell WB68 and it's 4 input coax runs are probably remnants from either a former Phase III elliptical dish install or (less likely) a legacy SL-5 LNB on the current dish.

These were then mistaken as relevant by the OP and posted along with photos of equipment from a later SWiM install.

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:48 AM

I'd like to know why the Verizon techs even touched the DitecTV lines?

It seems the Verizon techs. wanted to leverage the previously installed coax runs from the former SWiM splitter to whatever rooms they go to inside the customer's home by feeding the coax output of the ONT carrying the FiOS service into them.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

It seems the Verizon techs. wanted to leverage the previously installed coax runs from the former SWiM splitter to whatever rooms they go to inside the customer's home by feeding the coax output of the ONT carrying the FiOS service into them.

That seems reasonable if the customer weren't still using the DirecTV lines.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

That seems reasonable if the customer weren't still using the DirecTV lines.

They must of thought he didn't want DIRECTV service any longer since in one of the photos they appear to have disconnected the single SWiM line from the dish and capped it with a 75 ohm terminating cap and left it hanging loose right there near where they replaced the SWiM splitter with their own.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...