Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hvw

hvw

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

I currently have a Directv DVR and three HD receivers at my home. The dish is a Slimline 5. I also have access to a boat in another county/zipcode which cannot be moved. I'd like to use one of my HD receivers at the boat when I'm there. There is a Slimline 5 dish already there for me to use. (No one else is using it). The dish was previously working fine and all the connections look good. The dish has a double cable and the receiver has a place for only one.

I connected the receiver to the dish but it can't detect the signal no matter what I've tried. The signal strength meter showed 98% on one particular satellite but the receiver says it can't detect it. I did this once before with a non HD receiver and it was fairly straight forward.

I would very much appreciate and suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Is your home dish a SWM? If so, you need to run setup, and select Slimline 5 and multiswitch in the setup to use the one at the boat dock.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   hvw

hvw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I don't know what a SWM is. The dish at my house is on the roof so I looked at it through binoculars. It has three LNB's facing the dish and says "WNC" and then what looks like "Model AU9" on the ID tag.

I see now that I'm saying the dish at the Boat is a slimline 5 but it may not be. It also has three LNB's pointed at the dish and it is a different model. It says "Slimline Integrated KA/KU LNBF" "Model SL5 WNC"

I also have the Lat/Lon cordinates from dishpointer.com and that site gave a different satellite and different azimuth and elevation then where the dish is currently set.

I thought most of this was automatic. Boy was I wrong!

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

Ok. If your DVR has ONE coax for both tuners, your home is SWM. If it has TWO coax, one for each tuner, it is multiswitch. If you take a SWM receiver and plug it into a NON-SWM dish, it wont work without re-running satellite setup.

You can also pull up satellite signal screen on your home receiver. If it has the satellites, and has an extra "satellite" called SWM, you will need to rerun the setup for the boat dock, as its a different setup.

Usually the receiver will detect a SWM dish and configure itself, but if its already configured for SWM, it might fail to recognize a non-swm dish.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   hvw

hvw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

My home DVR has two coax cables connected to it. The dish at the boat also has two cables coming in but the receiver I'm trying to use only has one connection. I've tried setup on both cables. When I go into setup, I'm entering Slimline 5 and multiswitch.

It may be that this dish has been moved since the settings given on dishpointer.com are much different than where the dish is set. I might need to move it. The only reason I wouldn't think that is that it is getting a 98% signal on one satellite.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

My home DVR has two coax cables connected to it. The dish at the boat also has two cables coming in but the receiver I'm trying to use only has one connection. I've tried setup on both cables. When I go into setup, I'm entering Slimline 5 and multiswitch.

It may be that this dish has been moved since the settings given on dishpointer.com are much different than where the dish is set. I might need to move it. The only reason I wouldn't think that is that it is getting a 98% signal on one satellite.

Setup sounds correct. You are taking your BBC with you correct? You will need the BBC to see 99 and 103. You should get all but about 4 transponders on satellite 101. If you dont, then it might be pointed wrong. The dish is centered on 101W. Aim for that one first. You can use channels 9501 through 9511 to verify it is aimed at the correct satellites.

#7 OFFLINE   hvw

hvw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks again Dave. I did use the BBc but setup said not to connect it. I'm going again tomorrow. I plan to check the dish settings ( I got the correct elevation and azimuth from Directv's website) Then I'll just run through setup again. Thanks for pointing out the 9500 channels. I'll use them also.

It's coming up on 101 but no signal. The other is 79.5 if I remember right and it has 98% signal strength.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

Something is wrong then. If the receiver is a H23, then no, you do not use the BBC. Any other HD model you do. Work on getting 101 and the rest should work. There used to be a satellite at 74 (I think) used for locals, but that isnt in the mix anymore, so make sure satellite setup is set to slimline 5, multiswitch. From the sound of it, that should be the same as your home, so you should not need to change anything at all.

#9 OFFLINE   hvw

hvw

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

Yes, these are all H23 receivers. I'm afraid it's going to turn out to be something wrong with the dish. I figured it sounded too easy. There is a round 18" dish next to it that's no longer connected. Maybe I'll try it. Thanks for your help. I'll post back with the results.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Well, the 18" should give you 101 only. The Slimline should be pointed in exactly the same direction as the 18" dish, so you should be able to compare (assuming the 18" is still pointed right). If its on a dock, its quite possible the entire dock has moved, or changed elevation, so a little tweaking should get you running. They are not that difficult to adjust if you loosen the lock down bolts on the mount, and use the fine tuning knobs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...