Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Are the IR/RF Remotes different from IR?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

I have an RC64R where the Pause button and some other buttons are getting flakey so I replaced it. DTV sent me an RC65. I could not program it to control my TV volume (Olevia LT32HV), although this works fine on the RC64R and worked fine on the remote I had before that. (BTW, I don't know why they didn't send an RC65R). I thought there might be a problem with the remote so I tried my wife's, which is an RC64. I couldn't get it to control my TV either!

The RC64R works and the RC64 and RC65 don't, and I am wondering why. Is it possible the internals of the R remote are different or that it has a different manufacturer? Should I expect an RC65R to work because the RC64R did?

BTW, I can understand why a remote might not be able to handle new codes, but not being able to handle something that used to work seems fishy.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

From your explanation of the issue, I can't tell if you ever ran though the process to set up the R64 to control your TV. If you haven't, you might follow steps in A or B below. If you have, then you probably need to do step C:

A. Here's how to program your DIRECTV remote control:

Press MENU on remote.
Select "Parental, Favs and Setup".
Select "System Setup".
Select "Remote".
Select "Program Remote".

While aiming remote at device, follow onscreen instructions to program remote to TV, DVD, or other device.

B. How to scan for TV codes on your DIRECTV remote

Make sure your TV is turned on.
Slide the mode switch at top of remote to "TV".
Press and hold the MUTE button. This is located above the number 1 button.
While still holding down MUTE, press and hold the SELECT button until green light at the top of the remote flashes twice.
Then enter 9911, the green light on remote should flash twice.
Point remote at TV and press CHANNEL UP button. Tap the CHANNEL UP button repeatedly until the TV powers off.
When the TV powers off, press and release the SELECT button.

Note: If the green light flashes three times before TV responds, then all codes have been cycled through. Our remote controls are guaranteed to program to your DIRECTV receiver, however your TV may not be compatible with our remote control.

C. Volume Lock
Slide switch on remote to TV
Press and hold Mute & Select Keys until green light flashes twice.
Release both keys
Enter number 993 (green light flashes twice)
Press and release the select key
Slide switch back to D*
Try volume or mute

Edited by RACJ2, 11 September 2011 - 07:21 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

I'm sorry my explanation was insufficient. On the RC65, I tried all the codes for Olevia, Syntax and Brillian. Then I tried a sequential search. In the sequential search I found several codes that would increase volume but none that would decrease it. However, when i selected the codes that would increase volume during the sequential search they did not increase volume when selected.

Of the Olevia and Syntax codes, 11331 and 11240 would turn the TV off and on but did not control volume or input. Code 11331 is the one I have been using on the RC64R and it is the code I used on the remote I had before the RC64R. I don't recall the model number of that remote.

I had never heard of code 993. I did not see it in the manual. However, I tried it on both 11331 and 11240 without any success. I did get two flashes after entering 993 and two flashes after pressing Select, but volume and mute were not affected.

I am convinced the RF capable remotes are somehow different from the non-RF capable remotes but I don't know why they should be.

#4 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Your approach on 9911 is different from the manual. I also tried that until the TV turned off. Then I turned it back on and tried the 993 code. It was accepted as above but did nothing for the volume.

#5 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Have you tried restoring the remote to factory defaults and then starting over? This resolved a similar problem I had with my Insignia LCD TV when I replaced the RC64R with a RC65.

Attached Files

Vin

#6 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

Yes, several times. DTV also insisted on doing this in spite of the fact it wasn't helping. However, it is interesting you had a problem with the RC65 but were able to correct it. It works with other TVs in the house but not the Olevia.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

To answer your original question, IR and RF remotes are the same except for an additional daughter board with the RF electronics. All are made by UEI and are the same in all other respects.

I'd try fresh batteries, then do a 981 reset. Does one of the LEDs on top flash when you press volume? If so, which one? It's also possible that your remote is defective.

#8 OFFLINE   fla

fla

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

is the receiver visable to the remote? or is it behind the wall or TV? IR requires line of sight to work unlike RF.

#9 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

To answer your original question, IR and RF remotes are the same except for an additional daughter board with the RF electronics. All are made by UEI and are the same in all other respects.

That's odd because the RC64R works, as did the R remote I had before, but neither the new RC65 nor my wife's RC64 work when given the 11331 code or any other code. Perhaps my RC64R and the prior remote were defective!!

I'd try fresh batteries, then do a 981 reset. Does one of the LEDs on top flash when you press volume? If so, which one? It's also possible that your remote is defective.

The batteries are new; they came with the remote. However, I checked them and they are both over 1.5 volts. I then did a reset and reentered the 11331 code. The TV turns on and off but the volume does not work.

When I press up volume, the D light flashes followed by the TV light, in rapid succession. Down volume and mute do the same, but the TV ignores it.

I thought the unit might be defective but the CSR rep was adamant that it could not be if it was controlling the DVR properly. I think the fact that the RC64 also is unable to control the volume confirms this.

#10 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

is the receiver visable to the remote? or is it behind the wall or TV? IR requires line of sight to work unlike RF.

Although I was running on RF with the RC64R remote, the TV is in clear view. In fact, the remote can turn it on and off. It just can't control the volume.

#11 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

When I press up volume, the D light flashes followed by the TV light, in rapid succession. Down volume and mute do the same, but the TV ignores it.

I thought the unit might be defective but the CSR rep was adamant that it could not be if it was controlling the DVR properly. I think the fact that the RC64 also is unable to control the volume confirms this.

That confirms it is indeed sending a TV signal on Vol+/Vol-/Mute, so there are no issues with volume lock being set up improperly. The fact that power works means you have the right code. One more test you can do is look at the IR LED end of the remote through a digital camera. If you see the LED flashing when you press Vol+, then a signal is definitely being sent. If not, your remote is defective. If so, then I'm at a loss and recommend you find another RC64R on ebay.

#12 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Try turning off the extra signal sent with every volume and power command:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 6 3
4. press CH DOWN

Sometime the extra signals makes the volume command unrecognizable to the tv.
aka Tivoburkee

#13 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

That confirms it is indeed sending a TV signal on Vol+/Vol-/Mute, so there are no issues with volume lock being set up improperly. The fact that power works means you have the right code. One more test you can do is look at the IR LED end of the remote through a digital camera. If you see the LED flashing when you press Vol+, then a signal is definitely being sent. If not, your remote is defective. If so, then I'm at a loss and recommend you find another RC64R on ebay.

Unfortunately, not all digital cameras pass IR. My old Nikon 4300 did, but I gave it to my daughter. My new one doesn't so I have no good way to check this with a camera.

I may be able to disassemble it and check to see if the lights are actually blinking. When I disassembled the RC64R, it appeared there were two completely normal lights and only the deep red filter limited what was being transmitted.

#14 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Try turning off the extra signal sent with every volume and power command:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 9 6 3
4. press CH DOWN

Sometime the extra signals makes the volume command unrecognizable to the tv.

CH DOWN is a new one. I tried this and got four blinks from CH DOWN. The manual says to press SELECT and it only gives one blink. Interesting. Anyhow, it didn't help. Furthermore, when I press UP DOWN or MUTE is still get a double blink, first from the DTV light then from the TV light.

#15 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Yes, several times. DTV also insisted on doing this in spite of the fact it wasn't helping. However, it is interesting you had a problem with the RC65 but were able to correct it. It works with other TVs in the house but not the Olevia.

I'm sure you tried all the listed codes but based on a couple of posts I read elsewhere, 11610 might be worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.
Vin

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Unfortunately, not all digital cameras pass IR. My old Nikon 4300 did, but I gave it to my daughter. My new one doesn't so I have no good way to check this with a camera.

I may be able to disassemble it and check to see if the lights are actually blinking. When I disassembled the RC64R, it appeared there were two completely normal lights and only the deep red filter limited what was being transmitted.

Do you have a camera on your cell phone? That should work. In any case, those LEDs are definitely IR whose light is invisible to the naked eye, so dis-assembly will do you no good unless you plan to check it electrically with a scope.

With low cost items like this, there quickly comes a point of diminishing returns. You could spend countless hours trying to diagnose and repair it or simply spend $9 on another RC64R known to work. That's the going price on amazon, including shipping.

FYI, your TV uses protocol NEC1, device 4, OBCs 0-85. This is used in the following UEI codes (not sure which of these exist in DirecTV remotes): 10019, 10030, 10056,10178, 10672, 10856, 11178, 11265, 11331, 11758, 11663, 11610, 11423, 11240, 10050. There are more but most of those only appear in European remotes.

Are you absolutely certain your TV's backlight isn't causing IR noise which is interfering with the signals after power up?

Edited by mdavej, 13 September 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm sure you tried all the listed codes but based on a couple of posts I read elsewhere, 11610 might be worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

I tried it. 11331 is definitely the code. From posts on other threads it appears the problem is in the keypad. I am going to put the pad from the RC65 into the RC64R to see what happens.

#18 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Do you have a camera on your cell phone? That should work. In any case, those LEDs are definitely IR whose light is invisible to the naked eye, so dis-assembly will do you no good unless you plan to check it electrically with a scope.

With low cost items like this, there quickly comes a point of diminishing returns. You could spend countless hours trying to diagnose and repair it or simply spend $9 on another RC64R known to work. That's the going price on amazon, including shipping.

A replacement may or may not work. Mine may be defective!! In any event, it does what I want to I am going to try to fix it.

From other threads I have found the buttons are conductive and the black traces exposed, so I am going to swap the pad from the RC65 to the RC64R to see if that works.

#19 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

I tried it. 11331 is definitely the code. From posts on other threads it appears the problem is in the keypad. I am going to put the pad from the RC65 into the RC64R to see what happens.

Yeah, was just reading your other thread, hopefully that'll do it.
Vin

#20 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

Do you have a camera on your cell phone? That should work.

It does, and both remotes are sending signals. Apparently the new one is sending the wrong signal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...