Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Use One Coax Cable for Broadband DECA and Receiver?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   theuberprof

theuberprof

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Is this possible?

In short, I used to need two cables for the dual tuners of my HR22. Now that I have a SWM setup, I have a spare. The spare is now used for a broadband DECA. Is there a way to use that one cable with both a H21 and the broadband DECA?

I'm trying to avoid running another coax cable, haha. Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,952 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

Is this possible?

In short, I used to need two cables for the dual tuners of my HR22. Now that I have a SWM setup, I have a spare. The spare is now used for a broadband DECA. Is there a way to use that one cable with both a H21 and the broadband DECA?

I'm trying to avoid running another coax cable, haha. Thanks for your help.

Though not recommended by DIRECTV, actually there is a way that works for what you want just fine. Unfortunately the nice image illustrating it that was originally posted no longer loads, but if you carefully follow the instructions of the poster you should have no problems:

From dwcolvin originally posted on 5-17-10

If you're adventurous and one of your CAT5-attached receivers is near your router or a switch with an extra connection, put the DECA in line with the receiver coax connection (which simultaneously powers the DECA and is a Band Stop filter), then plug the Ethernet cable from the DECA into the router/switch (leave the receiver connected to the router/switch). Voilla! Internet connection with no additional splitter, power supply or Band Stop filter. Yes, I've done this, it works, but as always, YMMV. Note that the bridge will go down briefly when the receiver reboots.

Full post is here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...468#post2459468

#3 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

I don't think that is what he is asking.

OP, Are you wanting to have both the HR22 and the H21 at the same location using the two cable that were originally there for the HR22. And you want to know if the H21 and Broadband DECA can share the cable?

If so, the answer is yes, but instead, leave the Broadband DECA where it is and use a green-label splitter and split the line going to the HR22 for use by both the HR22 and H21.

#4 OFFLINE   theuberprof

theuberprof

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Herdfan, what you say sounds like what I'm trying to do. I currently have a TV on one side of a wall, and I'd like to add one on the other side of the wall.

If it matters, what used to be a HR22 is now an HR24. So I can use a green label splitter and attach both a HR24 and H21 to the same cable from the SWM?

#5 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,799 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

... So I can use a green label splitter and attach both a HR24 and H21 to the same cable from the SWM?

Yes, as long as you don't exceed the maximum tuner count supported by your SWM model.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

Oh sure Herdfan's way will work as well;

And is in fact the officially approved way to do it.

But ... :) , if you truly wish to keep it as a "single" line to the H21 and BB DECA without the need for splitting it into two smaller ones or the need of a PI to power the BB DECA, then simply run the single line to the satellite side of the BB DECA and the other end of the DECA to the satellite input of the H21 receiver.

Then connect the ethernet cable from the BB DECA to a port on the router or local switch with another ethernet patch from another available port on the router or switch back into H21's ethernet port.

Of course this does mean the both MRV data to the H21 as well as any necessary internet traffic in and out of the DECA cloud flow through BB DECA and ethernet switch on the router or local switch.

#7 OFFLINE   theuberprof

theuberprof

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'm just moving a receiver between rooms, so I should be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item255f9cca6e

So that's what I need? Or is it better to get them from SolidSignal or something?

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by theuberprof, 11 September 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   theuberprof

theuberprof

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Oh sure Herdfan's way will work as well;

And is in fact the officially approved way to do it.

But ... :) , if you truly wish to keep it as a "single" line to the H21 and BB DECA without the need for splitting it into two smaller ones or the need of a PI to power the BB DECA, then simply run the single line to the satellite side of the BB DECA and the other end of the DECA to the satellite input of the H21 receiver.

Then connect the ethernet cable from the BB DECA to a port on the router or local switch with another ethernet patch from another available port on the router or switch back into H21's ethernet port.

Of course this does mean the both MRV data to the H21 as well as any necessary internet traffic in and out of the DECA cloud flow through BB DECA and ethernet switch on the router or local switch.

This is what I'm calling a "broadband DECA."
http://www.solidsign...pply-(DECABB1R0)

Only seems to have one coax port...

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

This is what I'm calling a "broadband DECA."
http://www.solidsign...pply-(DECABB1R0)

Only seems to have one coax port...

Oh ...

Then you do need to go with the 2 x 1 splitter method.

The "BB DECA" I was referring is just that, the standard white DECA module serving the broad band function on an install;

http://www.google.co...IwAA#ps-sellers

#10 OFFLINE   theuberprof

theuberprof

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, I figured that was the source of confusion.

Cool. Thanks again.

spam firewall