Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local station= dictators

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed before. but I'm getting real sick of my local networks that dictate what you and I watch. I'm refering to NFL ST. I pay for a service but yet they black out games because of our local stations that have a deal in place that I'm sure will last forever. Yesterday at 3.00 I switched over to channel 713 to watch the Vikings game. Blacked out check your local listings. I thought that if a game went past 3.00 they would unlock the fisrt half of the DTV ST games. I know that they did this last year. Has something changed? I feel that this is a bunch of crap. I wonder if I pro rate the game and send a bill to my local FOX station if they would pay up? I may just try that. I know it seems like tic tac stuff and just let it go. But If you pay for something you should get all of it. Also they are blacking out the TO GO channels that are in your area. :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

Bills vs. Chiefs was blacked out also in my area. The Chiefs were the HOME team. I don't get it.......

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,898 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

Ya gotta love those pesky black out rules. :rolleyes:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,381 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

NFL ST is largely about seeing teams outside your market. The crossfire is when your team plays the team that claims your market; in this case, Buffalo.

The theory holds that a local station will carry the game.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

I would hate to see how much money the NFL would try to get from Sunday Ticket subscribers if they were not getting all that money from the networks and their local stations.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#6 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

I would hate to see how much money the NFL would try to get from Sunday Ticket subscribers if they were not getting all that money from the networks and their local stations.

Fortunately I did not have the problem the OP talked about yesterday, but yes it's very annoying as it's happened to me in the past. The simple solution to most everyone of these problems is at 4 to turn on the feed of every game (other than if the home team is blacked out for non sellout) and allow them to run to the end so in case you live in a city with a team other than your favorite you won't miss the rest of it when they cut out for the start of the home teams game, and leave the late games on until 5 or a little after so the early games can all wrap up. Paying what we do and to have games we want to see blacked out because they are supposed to be on the local affiliate and then it not come on because of the game on the local station is running late is maddening and really it's not fair to subs.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

Bills vs. Chiefs was blacked out also in my area. The Chiefs were the HOME team. I don't get it.......

You're in western New York, which is Bills territory, so it was on your CBS.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:09 AM

I've never had a problem with the blackouts, as the games are always on some channel that I get.

I did run into a problem this past weekend though, regarding black outs. I tried listening to the Titans game via the NFL-ST app on my Android as I drove back home, but couldn't, because it was blacked out in my market. WTF is the mobile app good for if the game is blacked out?

#9 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

I've never had a problem with the blackouts, as the games are always on some channel that I get.

I did run into a problem this past weekend though, regarding black outs. I tried listening to the Titans game via the NFL-ST app on my Android as I drove back home, but couldn't, because it was blacked out in my market. WTF is the mobile app good for if the game is blacked out?

Just guessing here, but does that mean that the game would have been available to you on the radio, based on your location (via the Android device)? Is that the audio equivalent of a TV blackout? Maybe?

Bob

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

Just guessing here, but does that mean that the game would have been available to you on the radio, based on your location (via the Android device)? Is that the audio equivalent of a TV blackout? Maybe?

Bob

I think he meant listen to the TV broadcast. I don't know of any radio blackouts with the NFL. All games are available via Sirius and XM, for example. Although I don't think Sirius/XM has the Titans audio feed yet....interesting that he was talking about the Titans game.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 OFFLINE   taz291819

taz291819

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

I think he meant listen to the TV broadcast. I don't know of any radio blackouts with the NFL. All games are available via Sirius and XM, for example. Although I don't think Sirius/XM has the Titans audio feed yet....interesting that he was talking about the Titans game.

Yes, I meant listening to the TV broadcast.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...