Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Temporary Move

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pendetim

pendetim

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

Does DirecTV do temporary moves for a 3 week duration?

I want to move my DirecTV setup to a different place for a few weeks then back to my permanent home after 3 weeks. There is a DirecTV dish on the roof already.

Since I suspect the setup on the roof in the temporary location may be out of alignment I want to do this properly so I can get help if needed.

Tim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

Does DirecTV do temporary moves for a 3 week duration?

I want to move my DirecTV setup to a different place for a few weeks then back to my permanent home after 3 weeks. There is a DirecTV dish on the roof already.

Since I suspect the setup on the roof in the temporary location may be out of alignment I want to do this properly so I can get help if needed.

As far as I know, they don't have an official program to cover temporary moves.

But assuming nothing's going to happen to the dish and wiring at your permanent location while you're away, you should be able to do this:

1. Take advantage of the Mover's Connection service for your move to the temporary location, which would give you a free installer visit at that location (including realigning or even replacing the existing dish) -- you'll probably also get some discount or free programming, depending on what they offer you or what you can negotiate when you call in.

2. When you go back to your permanent location, just call DirecTV to change your service address back.

Note that you'd be responsible for moving your receiver(s) back and forth, and then hooking them back up at your permanent location. (You'll also add or extend a commitment to your account by using Mover's Connection.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#3 OFFLINE   pendetim

pendetim

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I used the "movers connection" to move from my future 'temporary' place to where I am now. I believe they charged me $50.00 or so for the new move since I was a customer for less than a year. Now I am planning to go back to the place I moved from last December for a few weeks.

Could I just do a service address change for the 3 week temporary move? and then call them and pay for a service call or use the protection plan, if I sign up for it, to fix anything?

Tim

#4 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

Just call and tell them you need to change the service address. Tell them you dont want to change billing address. Then in 3 weeks call back and change back.

You dont have to tell them you gonna move for a short time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...