Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

99 & 103 = Nightmare. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

OK, for 3 days now, I have been outside for hours tilting, turning & twisting our dish, but to no avail. :confused:

Satellites 99© has 80-85% on Tuner 1, but Tuner 2 sits at 0% Not Acquired.

Sats 99(s) & 103(s) sit at 0% Not Acquired, even though the other two 103 sats have high 80%'s.

What else can we do to get these sats? Our locals play on the TV every once in awhile, then go out & we get the message: Searching For Satellite in 2 (771)...

And please do NOT tell me to call DirecTV. We have, and we cannot get them to service our dish because we live in a mobile home. I know, you have told me that they should, but they won't, even though we are legit customers since approx. 1995. We set the dishes up ourselves, and have to fix/adjust them ourselves.

We are super frustrated, and any help will be very appreciated! Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

There isn't much detail here to suggest much.
Is this an old legacy [non SWiM] dish?
What type receiver(s)?
Do you have more than one?
99c & 99s come from the same LNB.
What about 103c?
A.K.A VOS

#3 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

There isn't much detail here to suggest much.
Is this an old legacy [non SWiM] dish?
What type receiver(s)?
Do you have more than one?
99c & 99s come from the same LNB.
What about 103c?

There is more detail here http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196305 but still not enough.

#4 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

Pointing dishes now is a lot touchier than long ago due to the existence of multiple locations. When you installed the dish, were you ever able to get full functionality?

It might be that you are indeed good at pointing and skewing, but the lnb, power inserter (if any), or the receiver is at fault. If so, then anyone would be pushed to frustration. See if you can connect to a friends working setup and test your receiver, first. If it works, then suspect the lnb (though, this is not so easy to troubleshoot by yourself without replacing it).

If you are not in a highly remote area, there are professional installers who are not directly employed by D* who will service your system, just check the yellow pages. The one I use is a commercial installer for bars and hotels in the midwest. Ask a local sports bar with D* who their vendor is. I got hooked up with them when I needed a commercial install, and they surprised me when they said they would work on some residential installs I needed, although the service would not be discounted. You will likely have to pay them $90 for a service fee, not including parts. I've used these people many times to install multi-sat dishes.

Please tell what receiver, dish, and lnb you are working with. VOS is very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Good Luck

Volkl

EDIT

Just read the other thread. You need a new MPEG4 capable receiver to receive your locals. They should do it free. Perhaps D* is thinking you are in an RV as opposed to a mobile home?

Edited by volkl, 12 September 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

We bought an HR24 receiver, we have a Slimline 5 dish model AU9, and an HDTV. That is really all that I know. And we live very rural, with a lot of trees around, which is just another reason they won't help us.

Edited by DTVFans, 12 September 2011 - 11:07 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

What about 103c?

103c gets 80-85% on both Tuners.

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

The HR24 requires BBCs, which didn't come with my HR24, when used on a non SWiM dish.
Do you have these connected to the SAT inputs?
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

I can't quite tell from the picture in the other thread, but it looks like there is more than one cable coming out of the LNB arm. So he needs the BBCs.

And with all of the tilting, turning, and twisting of the dish I suspect he needs professional alignment. :D
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Since he is getting 85% on both KU sats on tuner 1, I would suspect a coax connector on cable to tuner 2.

Next time you want to watch your locals that are giving you the error 771 on tuner 2, hit the down arrow to enable double play. Once on the other tuner, tune it to the same channel and see if it works. If it works ok on one tuner, and using double play to switch back to the original tuner still gives you an error, you have either a bad cable (replace it), bad connectors (replace them) or a bad lnb (switch the bad cable to one of the two unused ports on the LNB and see if your problem is resolved.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Since he is getting 85% on both KU sats on tuner 1, I would suspect a coax connector on cable to tuner 2.

Next time you want to watch your locals that are giving you the error 771 on tuner 2, hit the down arrow to enable double play. Once on the other tuner, tune it to the same channel and see if it works. If it works ok on one tuner, and using double play to switch back to the original tuner still gives you an error, you have either a bad cable (replace it), bad connectors (replace them) or a bad lnb (switch the bad cable to one of the two unused ports on the LNB and see if your problem is resolved.

could also be a bad BBC.

#11 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

Yes, I am sorry I forgot to mention that. We bought DirecTV "B Band Converters (BBC) Module" and have them on both 'Satellite in 1 (Swm-2)' & 'Satellite in 2' inputs on the receiver.

And with all of the tilting, turning, and twisting of the dish I suspect he needs professional alignment. :D

Actually, I have managed to get the signal strengh higher than it's ever been on all sats, minus the two I mentioned above.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Yes, I am sorry I forgot to mention that. We bought DirecTV "B Band Converters (BBC) Module" and have them on both 'Satellite in 1 (Swm-2)' & 'Satellite in 2' inputs on the receiver.

Actually, I have managed to get the signal strengh higher than it's ever been on all sats, minus the two I mentioned above.

Since you've got "good" numbers off the 99c & 103c, I doubt there is much to do with the dish any more. "maybe" move the coax to another port to make sure the switch isn't causing the #2 tuner issue.

The next thing to post would be the transponder screen numbers, because "Tuner 2 sits at 0% Not Acquired" only comes from the signal meter screen [here], and the spot beams do take longer to show the levels.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I think it would be helpful if you list all your signals for every transponder for both tuners. After that, it might Also be interesting to see if you get the same numbers if you swap the tuner one and tuner two cables.

A for DirecTV refusing to come out, I'd email Ellen and see if she could fix that issue. Her office is the one that takes care of issues like that. Search for Ellen vp customer service email to get her email address' if you want diretcv to come fix the issue.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

... A for DirecTV refusing to come out, I'd email Ellen and see if she could fix that issue. Her office is the one that takes care of issues like that. Search for Ellen vp customer service email to get her email address' if you want diretcv to come fix the issue.

Or to save the OP the trouble;

ellen.filipiak@directv.com

#15 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

Another thing to look at are the test channels in the 9501-9514 range.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:36 AM

this is most likely a bad cable/connector or LNB on the dish.

I highly doubt this is an aiming issue. You might need to tweak the aim, but your main problem right now is some other sort of difficulty.

I would start with tracing your cable all the way back into the house and unscrew every connector can clean them out. Make sure nothing is corroded or the cable isn't cut anywhere. If you have the skills, i would put a new compression fitting on every cable end and replace the grounding block (hopefully you have one).

If that doesn't work, I would just order a SWM lnb and power inserter and install that. You will also need a splitter capable of the number of recievers you have.

#17 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

this is most likely a bad cable/connector or LNB on the dish.

I highly doubt this is an aiming issue. You might need to tweak the aim, but your main problem right now is some other sort of difficulty.

I would start with tracing your cable all the way back into the house and unscrew every connector can clean them out. Make sure nothing is corroded or the cable isn't cut anywhere. If you have the skills, i would put a new compression fitting on every cable end and replace the grounding block (hopefully you have one).

If that doesn't work, I would just order a SWM lnb and power inserter and install that. You will also need a splitter capable of the number of recievers you have.

Before I went through all of that trouble I'd check the BBCs first. If 103c is 80-85% on both tuners, then the problem is likely a bad BBC.

#18 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

Before I went through...

I'd do some troubleshooting first. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   DTVFans

DTVFans

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

Wow, you guys have given me a lot of help & a lot of things to check out. I appreciate it very much. I do have another question though.. could it possibly be a bad switch box? We have a Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switch. Could that cause all these problems?

It is so strange... right now, I have our local ABC channel up, and it works & looks perfect. But in an hour from now, if I leave & come back to it, it might say searching for signal again. And sometimes, if I let it sit on the searching for signal screen, the channel will come it after 10 or so minutes. And it is not just ABC, it does that with all the locals.

#20 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

If you think the Zinwell might be a problem, then "simply" connect a receiver to the coax coming into the Zinwell and remove it from the path.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...