Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV Internet Installation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

I have read about DirecTV installing something called DECA that essentially gives you internet through the Coax and thus my HDDVR will be able to go back on the internet. This seems like a good option for me since I cannot get PPV. No interest in whole house though.

My question is...
Will I be able to hook my TV and Blue Ray player to the internet through the same connection? Or is the internet dedicated just to my HDDVR?

Thanks in advance. I have searched but could not find my answer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.dbstalk.c...468#post2459468

I used a similar setup in the past to bridge my HR21, AppleTV, and BD player to my network. In the end, I bought another BB DECA and fed my non-DIRECTV components through that.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Beavs. I ended up ordering the self install kit from DirecTV yesterday. Figured at the least I could get my HR22 back on the net. Hope to use a hub to allow my TV and BR player net access. Frankly, my main need is to update the software on both occasionally. Occasionally use the Internet TV functions but my iPad sort of negates the need. Still nice to have both connected all the time. Worst case I manually change when I need to update.

On another note...
Met a bunch of your instate rivals down here in Dallas two weeks ago. My Tigers took knocked their ego down a bit. Still they are a pretty good team.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hope to use a hub to allow my TV and BR player net access.

Use a switch rather than a "true hub" and it will work better.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

On another note...
Met a bunch of your instate rivals down here in Dallas two weeks ago. My Tigers took knocked their ego down a bit. Still they are a pretty good team.

Yeah, those guys need their heads shrunk on a regular basis... I just wish it happened more often! :lol:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

I have read about DirecTV installing something called DECA that essentially gives you internet through the Coax and thus my HDDVR will be able to go back on the internet. This seems like a good option for me since I cannot get PPV. No interest in whole house though.

My question is...
Will I be able to hook my TV and Blue Ray player to the internet through the same connection? Or is the internet dedicated just to my HDDVR?

Thanks in advance. I have searched but could not find my answer.

What DirecTV receiver models do you have?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

Got the kit today and it installed quickly. Everything seems to work fine. Got all my software updated and my HR 22 is connected. Thanks to all for your help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...