Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do you disassemble an RC64R Remote?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

I thought the RC64R might be different from an RC64 or RC65 in its ability to control the volume on my Olevia TV. I am told they are identical, except for the RF transmitter. I suspected as much. Anyhow, that mean, since other remotes do not work, my RC64R is probably defective but in a useful way and I need to try to repair it.

There are only three flakey keys, pause, reverse skip and fast forward. I tried squirting some contact cleaner in there but that didn't work. I need to open the caae. If the contacts are exposed I can spray cleaner directly on them. If they are sealed, I may be able to exchange the pad from the RC65 that does not work.

Yes, I know there are no "user serviceable parts" in there, but that never stopped me before. DTV certainly isn't going to service it, so it is up to the user (me) to do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

It's been a while since I've tried but if I recall there are some screws hidden behind stickers on the back side.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

Ther are a couple of screws beneath the oval shaped insert in the middle of the front side.

#4 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

And a couple more under the battery cover

#5 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

Why don't you call Directv and have them send you a new one? I've never had a problem.

Michael.

#6 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Why don't you call Directv and have them send you a new one? I've never had a problem.

Michael.

Check the thread concerning differences between the RC64R and the RC64. Apparently, my RC64R shouldn't be able to do what it does and the replacements can't do it, so I have to try to fix the one I have.

#7 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

Ther are a couple of screws beneath the oval shaped insert in the middle of the front side.

That is what I am trying to get at. How do you access the screws? Can the oval section be removed by itself?

#8 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

There are two screws at the back of the battery compartment and a clip in between them. I removed the screws and slipped the clip with a screwdriver. This allowed me to open the rear, but there is something else in the way further up the case. I thought it would just hinge open but it doesn't and i am afraid to force it.

I have no labels on the back that might have screws under them. My back is a rubber sheet that seems to be glued to the rear plastic piece. Does the rubber have to be removed to get to the other screws?

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

That is what I am trying to get at. How do you access the screws? Can the oval section be removed by itself?

That grey oval around the transport buttons does pop out. You have to be careful not to scratch up the edge but if you use a small knife you can do it without marring the edges of the oval plate or the top cover.

There are four screws under that plate and two screws under the battery cover. Once you get the screws out you top and bottom halves come apart.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#10 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

That grey oval around the transport buttons does pop out. You have to be careful not to scratch up the edge but if you use a small knife you can do it without marring the edges of the oval plate or the top cover.

There are four screws under that plate and two screws under the battery cover. Once you get the screws out you top and bottom halves come apart.

Mike

Wonderful!! With any luck, getting the oval out may be enough. I really just need to get some contact cleaner on the three buttons that are acting up.

#11 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

Mike

That worked great! Thanks, Mike.

I had been trying to spray contact cleaner through the front of the remote. I discovered all the buttons are on a single piece of rubber-like material. There was no way the spray could get through. I also discovered that the contacts are traces on the PC board. There is no way to get contact cleaner on them either.

The three flakey buttons work but you have to press them much harder than the other buttons. A light press produces either nothing or a delayed response. It occurred to me adding some material to the bottom of those buttons might improve their response. I was thinking of pieces of adhesive backed cork pads or something like that. Does anybody have any idea of what might be suitable. More important, does anybody have any idea of whether this will even work? In other words, has anybody ever tried this?

#12 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

With many remotes the rubber lumps have a conductive coating that makes electrical contact between two exposed spots on the circuit board underneath when you press down on them. (Don't know if the DTV remotes work that way, but there's a good chance ...). Sometimes the conductive coating wears off. You can renew the conductive coating by painting on the liquid that comes in a kit for repairing automotive rear window defrost grids. You can find this at most automotive parts stores. Here's one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000HBI9YQ
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#13 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:20 AM

With many remotes the rubber lumps have a conductive coating that makes electrical contact between two exposed spots on the circuit board underneath when you press down on them. (Don't know if the DTV remotes work that way, but there's a good chance ...). Sometimes the conductive coating wears off.

That was my first thought and I tried an ohm meter on the buttons, but they are non-conductive as fart as I could determine. Also, the traces do not seem to be exposed. It really appears the manufacturer was able to build the switches under the varnish (or whatever it is) that they use to seal the PC board. It is kind of clever. There really are no user serviceable parts!! That's why I thought padding the buttons might help by producing a bit more force without requiring a lot of pressure on the button. Again, I have no idea if that will work.

#14 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Replace the rubber membrane from the new remotes into the old workhorse remote that you want to fix.
aka Tivoburkee

#15 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

That was my first thought and I tried an ohm meter on the buttons, but they are non-conductive as fart as I could determine. Also, the traces do not seem to be exposed. It really appears the manufacturer was able to build the switches under the varnish (or whatever it is) that they use to seal the PC board. It is kind of clever. There really are no user serviceable parts!! That's why I thought padding the buttons might help by producing a bit more force without requiring a lot of pressure on the button. Again, I have no idea if that will work.

The button pads on remotes are conductive but wont appear to be a short like a piece of metal would be. So if you were using an ohm meter with a real low ohm setting or the buzzer function on most meters will not buzz detecting a short. They will probably register in the hundreds of ohms or even 1k ohms. This is also true for the black traces on the board side, its conductive not like bare copper conductive.

Now for the diagnostic part. Is it the membrane pad or the PCB that is bad? To find out swap the membrane from your other working remote into the suspect bad one. You can swap in either direction and verify that you have either good buttons or a good board. It may be a trace on the board that has worn away and is common to all of the buttons that dont work.

#16 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thanks!! The logical solution was a conductive button closing open traces on the PC board, but it didn't seem to be that way.

The buttons I tested all registered as open circuits. If they were conductive I would have expected some resistance reading. The black traces also appeared to be coated.

I will swap the membranes to see what happens. Thanks, again.

#17 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Wonderful!! With any luck, getting the oval out may be enough. I really just need to get some contact cleaner on the three buttons that are acting up.

I bought 8 of the RC64RB nfl remotes for about $25 each. Now those are worth fixing. I am having some similar button problems and am curious how you corrected the problem if you ever do. So the front panel you removed is the huge 1-3/4" x 3-1/2" plate? Mine are all different colors so gray doesn't do me any good. Other than the backlight and fancy color scheme I assume ours are the same build.

#18 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Problem solved. Thanks everybody. I moved the pad from the RC65 to the RC64R and it is working they way it used to again.

The oval cover was easy to pop off with a pen knife. The four screws and the two at the end of the battery compartment required a very small philips head screwdriver. A small flat-bladed screwdriver popped the back loose at the battery and then I needed to remove a screw holding the RC64R circuit board in. The RC65 didn't have this. I swapped the pads, re-assembled and tested. The RC64R was fine again.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

Happy end !

#20 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

Problem solved. Thanks everybody. I moved the pad from the RC65 to the RC64R and it is working they way it used to again.

The oval cover was easy to pop off with a pen knife. The four screws and the two at the end of the battery compartment required a very small philips head screwdriver. A small flat-bladed screwdriver popped the back loose at the battery and then I needed to remove a screw holding the RC64R circuit board in. The RC65 didn't have this. I swapped the pads, re-assembled and tested. The RC64R was fine again.

Way to go! Congratulations.

Still very puzzling that the codes sets weren't identical.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...