Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help!! CC&R Restrictions in BEND, OREGON

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

I cant really add to the discussion as it has been very well covered that the restrictions described are not legal. However I have to comment on this:

I do suggest some common sense. If you can find a spot in your backyard (or back roof) that works just as well as a frontyard location go with the back. That will help maintain the value of your neighborhood and make them happier. :)

Cheers,
Tom

While I agree that a backyard location can be good for neighborhood relations, how does having a dish affect property values?? I just have never understood the idea that having anything visible other than shingles or siding hurts property values
My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

I cant really add to the discussion as it has been very well covered that the restrictions described are not legal. However I have to comment on this:

While I agree that a backyard location can be good for neighborhood relations, how does having a dish affect property values?? I just have never understood the idea that having anything visible other than shingles or siding hurts property values

Anything that might detract from the ability to sell your home, even slightly, will reduce the property value on the next sale, unless you are in very, very strong sellers market.

There are some people who think small dishes are ugly and look bad in the front yard or if in a highly visible location. By eliminating them from the pool of people who would buy a house, the property value suffers some. At least when one looks at the overall effect upon lots of homes. Every sale has its own situations.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:35 AM

Anything that might detract from the ability to sell your home, even slightly, will reduce the property value on the next sale, unless you are in very, very strong sellers market.

There are some people who think small dishes are ugly and look bad in the front yard or if in a highly visible location. By eliminating them from the pool of people who would buy a house, the property value suffers some. At least when one looks at the overall effect upon lots of homes. Every sale has its own situations.

Cheers,
Tom

But there are others who would find having a dish already installed to increase the value :D

With something so small and trivial as a dish, I don't see it really hurting or helping the real value, unless its in a really conspicuous place, do you?

If I where the OP, Id send the letter to the board the day before my appointment was set up, and I would put it in the least conspicuous place, just because that is logical, and then I would consider painting it if it made sense.

By the way, make sure you look into what paint would be best for this situation. Not all paints would be good to use.

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

And do NOT paint the plastic LNB covers!

#25 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,253 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

But there are others who would find having a dish already installed to increase the value :D

With something so small and trivial as a dish, I don't see it really hurting or helping the real value, unless its in a really conspicuous place, do you?

If I where the OP, Id send the letter to the board the day before my appointment was set up, and I would put it in the least conspicuous place, just because that is logical, and then I would consider painting it if it made sense.

By the way, make sure you look into what paint would be best for this situation. Not all paints would be good to use.

Depends upon what you call conspicuous I guess. If it is in the front yard, sounds like it would be conspicuous.

Whereas if you had the dish such that it just peeked over the peak of the roof to see the sky over Texas, that would be more palatable for most people.

Again, it boils down to the market, the house, the neighborhood, and what your potential buyers are affected by. Not what you are bothered by.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#26 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

I live in Bend OR and live in an area with CC&R's. We have an HD dish installed, not painted and have had no issues. We called Directv and they sent their installer out to install everything. The tech told me he worked directly for Directv and I see their trucks all over town.

Not sure what area you are purchasing a home in, but everyone in our area has a dish and it is not painted.

#27 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:46 AM

Just another thought on the CC&R's - I know that the CC&R's for our area were written several years ago. The reference to the dish size of 18" was limit those great big dishes from being installed, you know the ones that took up the entire yard. 18" was the current size at the time for Directv and the CC&R's have not been updated to allow for the new HD dishes of today that are slightly larger.

#28 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Does anyone know who the Home Service company for Bend, Oregon is? and how to contact them directly? DTV won't tell me. I think talking to them first and getting a seasoned installer in this area would be in my best interest. Should I post another thread on the Home Service company topic?

I live in Bend OR and live in an area with CC&R's. We have an HD dish installed, not painted and have had no issues. We called Directv and they sent their installer out to install everything. The tech told me he worked directly for Directv and I see their trucks all over town.

Not sure what area you are purchasing a home in, but everyone in our area has a dish and it is not painted.

I believe DirecTV bought up their HSPs a few years ago. I know Ironwood was one. They were the HSP in Phoenix, and most other cities.

#29 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Just another thought on the CC&R's - I know that the CC&R's for our area were written several years ago. The reference to the dish size of 18" was limit those great big dishes from being installed, you know the ones that took up the entire yard. 18" was the current size at the time for Directv and the CC&R's have not been updated to allow for the new HD dishes of today that are slightly larger.

see my post above http://www.dbstalk.c...42&postcount=12

Protected By... spam firewall...And...