Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Goodbye

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jameskelly

jameskelly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

To all DirecTV users:

This is goodby to you. I have made the switch from DirecTV for the past 15 years, to local cable (Time Warner) with the new Tivo premiere XL. I have to tell you that I love it. TWC has come a long way, and so far, the service is quite good. The HD is excellent. They even have a live chat section on their website, which I have used, and have had a positive experience. I had Tivo when it first came out, and it's never been better. Time warner carries ALL of the major channels in HD. All of which DTV does not. My guess is that it will be years before they decide to get around to it. I know there are a lot of die hard DTV fans out there, and so was I. But I am tired of paying sky high monthly fees to DTV, and not having the luxury of all major channels in HD. This is 2011! Look how long it took for AMC to arrive. They are acting like they are doing us a favor. Look how much chatter it has caused even on this website! And that's just for one channel. Gimme a break! I have had it with them. TWC carries BBC America, AMC, QVC, Nat Geo Wild, TV Land, Bloomberg, and Turner Classic, and HLN, all in HD. Tivo is also very nice. I have had it about two weeks, and they add new cool features often. Even if and when DTV offers Tivo, they will still not add any new HD channels. Even Tivo's their program scheduling online is great. Very fast. You can even view your season pass, and make changes. Anyway, it was great being a part of this forum, and I wish you all good luck. Who knows, maybe if DTV ever gets their act together I will come back.

J. Kelly
NYC

Edited by jameskelly, 13 September 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

To all DirecTV users:

This is goodby to you. I have made the switch from DirecTV for the past 15 years, to local cable (Time Warner) with the new Tivo premiere XL. I have to tell you that I love it. I had Tivo when it first came out, and it's never been better. Time warner carries ALL of the major channels in HD. All of which DTV does not. My guess is that it will be years before they decide to get around to it. I know there are a lot of die hard DTV fans out there, and so was I. But I am tired of paying sky high monthly fees to DTV, and not having the luxury of all major channels in HD. This is 2011! Look how long it took for AMC to arrive. They are acting like they are doing us a favor. Gimme a break! I have had it with them. TWC carries BBC America, AMC, QVC, Nat Geo Wild, TV Land, Bloomberg, and Turner Classic, and HLN, all in HD. Tivo is also very nice. I have had it about two weeks, and they add new cool features often. Even if and when DTV offers Tivo, they will still not add any new HD channels. Even Tivo's their program scheduling online is great. Very fast. You can even view your season pass, and make changes. Anyway, it was great being a part of this forum, and I wish you all good luck. Who knows, maybe if DTV ever gets their act together I will come back.

J. Kelly
NYC

Goodbye...to each his own. I have never watched any of the stations above so that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. What would be a deal breaker is the lack of HD MLB and Sunday Ticket. Good luck in your new venture. We'll see you back when your aggravation with TWC comes to fruition.

#3 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

After many years with Directv, I did the same thing. I am with Time Warner Signature Home and am very impressed. The picture quality is excellent, and I have TIVO premieres.

With Signature Home, I get excellent service. When I call TWC, the phone is answered within 30 seconds. The internet wideband speed is 50/5, much better than I was able to get through ATT DSL.

No more rain outages.

The final straw with Directv was my inability to upgrade my system without great expense. I had six DVRS, some of them dating back to 2006. Several of them became so noisy, that they could not be used in bedrooms. I tried the replacement route twice, and got "refurbished" DVRs which were dented and every bit as loud. I asked whether, because I was a long term customer, I would be eliigible for some consideration in updating to new equipment. They said no.

So, I skeptically tried TWC Signature Home, and left my Directv active for a time. Signature Home is not the cable of 10 years ago. With the bundling of wideband, there is just no reason for me to go back. And, now I get calls from Directv every few days offerrring me brand new equipment for free, and heavily discounted programming.

My question to Directv is, why do you fail to take care of your existing customers? I would never have left if I was given the least bit of consideration.

#4 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Make sure to check back if communication between the Tuning Adapter and your TiVo fails, as happened to me leaving me w/out the last two "Breaking Bad" eps. Yeah, it's scheduled to catch the last ep again, but it was scheduled to do it the week before, but a power failure from 12:30-3:30AM prevented that. As far as the missing HD channels, AMC-HD and Ovation-HD (Later...w/ Jools Holland) are really all I record from. The static and obnoxious channel bug on BBCA-HD is bad. DIY-HD is a nice time-killer, but there isn't anything I can't miss on there. I don't really check TCM-HD because I'm not that much of a movie buff, I saw stretched SD the time I went by HI-HD and TruTV-HD...uh, I have better things to do. I don't have the budget for Signature Home and wideband isn't available here anyway.

I don't fault anyone looking at consolidating their services or going where the channels they want are provided, but I'm not finding it the nirvana these other posters seem to be. I only suspended DirecTV because I don't trust TWC to offer me as good a deal on TV and Internet after the year is up. If the Tuning Adapter issues continue to occur, that will force my hand as well.

Edited by bidger, 13 September 2011 - 09:02 AM.
Put an "s" on the end of "channel" 1st sentence 2nd paragraph

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#5 OFFLINE   lhemmerich

lhemmerich

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

If you could get Cable..Why did you have DTV anyway???
Where I live I have NO choise except DTV we have no cable.. Why would ouy have DTV anyway??

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,920 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

... Time warner carries ALL of the major channels in HD. All of which DTV does not.

No they don't. TW doesn't have NFL Network, HDNet, HDNet Movies, or Sony Movie Channel...All of which DirecTV does.

...TWC carries BBC America, AMC, QVC, Nat Geo Wild, TV Land, Bloomberg, and Turner Classic, and HLN, all in HD. ...

There's no TV Land in HD on any provider.

All that said, as long as you're happy and you seem to be; that's what matters. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

After many years with Directv, I did the same thing. I am with Time Warner Signature Home and am very impressed. The picture quality is excellent, and I have TIVO premieres.

With Signature Home, I get excellent service. When I call TWC, the phone is answered within 30 seconds. The internet wideband speed is 50/5, much better than I was able to get through ATT DSL.

No more rain outages.

The final straw with Directv was my inability to upgrade my system without great expense. I had six DVRS, some of them dating back to 2006. Several of them became so noisy, that they could not be used in bedrooms. I tried the replacement route twice, and got "refurbished" DVRs which were dented and every bit as loud. I asked whether, because I was a long term customer, I would be eliigible for some consideration in updating to new equipment. They said no.

So, I skeptically tried TWC Signature Home, and left my Directv active for a time. Signature Home is not the cable of 10 years ago. With the bundling of wideband, there is just no reason for me to go back. And, now I get calls from Directv every few days offerrring me brand new equipment for free, and heavily discounted programming.

My question to Directv is, why do you fail to take care of your existing customers? I would never have left if I was given the least bit of consideration.

I mean your post no disrespect, but I would like to know this. When the dvr starts to get loud or has problems in the future with TWC do they promise a new DVR every time you call? I had TWC here and never saw a new receiver or DVR. The new Signature home DVR's are likely all new (for now) because the service is new but in the future I don't see them tossing them all in the trash and not sending them back out.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

Even if TWC had the channels that DIRECTV has I couldn't afford to switch to them. Our TWC system charges $10.99/month for DVR server, $9/month for WHDVR service and $7.99/month for a STB, to match what my DIRECTV service is now (seven HD DVR's and WHDVR) TWC would be $75.92 just for hardware vs. $46 for DIRECTV.

Plus I have two 3D sets, with TWC it's $10/month for 3D service (ESPN 3D) and DIRECTV it's currently no charge. So before even looking at programming costs TWC would be $39.92/month higher then DIRECTV. Even the TWC reps that call trying to get me to switch say they can't come close to pricing with the hardware setup I have. I'd been willing to try TWC if the pricing was anywhere close to DIRECTV since I do use them for phone and internet and their service has been good.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

I use Time Warner Cable as my internet provider. While I have no complaints about Road Runner TWC's customer service is the pits. When the service goes out making contact with their CSR's is mission impossible. Usually you get a recording stating all of their CSR's are busy helping other customers and are told to try again later. On the few occassions when you do make contact you get put on a lengthy hold followed by being disconnected. The other day I got a offer in the mail from TWC to switch to their digital cable service for a two year contract of $49.99 per month. The offer stated they "may" provide funding to make the switch from my current provider. No mention of how many or what channels I would be getting. Great way to run a business. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,623 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Especially at the use of goodby, too.

Damn you sigma. I just sprayed my monitor with coffee laughing so hard! :lol:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:03 AM

I hope you are finally happy. I have had the cable/tivo setup and found it lacking. To each his own.

But why does everyone who makes a choice that fits them need to denigrade the choice they left? Is that part of the justification for them? You think you found something that suits you better, good for you. Do you have to make it into an emotional drama of good and evil?

For my needs, DirecTV is the best fit. They have 99.9% of what I watch in HD and they have all the sports I want. I have choices of Fios and Comcast here as well (Dish is out because of line of sight). For me, I would hate having them as my only provider. That does not make them evil even though neither has added much lately.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   ccsoftball7

ccsoftball7

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

Where I live I have NO choise except DTV we have no cable.. Why would ouy have DTV anyway??

Seriously???

#13 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like you are getting what you desire, so enjoy! Its probably nice to change a channel and see it appear immediately. That's actually what I miss the most about cable. I'm considering switching my AT&T DSL back to TWC broadband, since they have a promo going. I can get Roadrunner Turbo (20 Mbps) for $39.99 for 12 mo's, the same price as my (6 Mbps DSL). And for signing up on line, get a $100 Visa card.

Although I would be happy to see any and all HD channels you mentioned, HLN is the only one I really want. For me I can't give up the great HD coverage of NHL CI and NFL ST, not to mention no NHLN or NFLN on TWC. As long as I still have an interest in sports, I'm not going anywhere.

As I have mentioned numerous times, I hope more subscribers do leave. If too many of you start leaving, maybe the package prices will stabilize in an attempt to stop the bleeding. Although they have been very good with credits for me this year. And they have more than offset the price increases.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#14 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

I looked at trying out Time Warner Signature Home but the prices ended up being only slightly lower than DTV. Sure, there are a few more channels on Time Warner but they were channels I would never use.

Another thing I noticed is that the intial price is for the first 12 months. After 12 months, the price skyrockets above and beyond DTV's prices.

One big deal breaker for me is that with Time Warner, I can't take my programming on the road. I have an RV and like to take my Sat-Go. Nothing better than a crystal clear digital picture in the middle of the woods. :)

#15 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

Nothing better than a crystal clear digital picture in the middle of the woods. :)

A big bowl of Kellog's Raisin Bran in the middle of the woods.

#16 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

I've had cable, which it seems you haven't, so I'll answer you.

1. I pay DirecTV $138 for the premier package, DVR fees and HD fees including 2 DVR's. Insight (my local cable company) would be $60 more per month with fewer channels, fewer HD channels and quadruple equipment fees. My only current discount is a $6 credit that expires in a few months and next month I start a $7 DVR service credit that I got with free Sunday Ticket. I'm not pushing a lot of discounts.
2. Insight charges a $15 rental fee for EACH DVR and then charges $10 (or $12 I don't recall) for the DVR feature. Per month. Per DVR.
3. Insight charges .50 to rent an f'ing remote. D* sent me new ones for free both times I killed one.
4. Insight doesn't have Sunday Ticket.
5. Insight doesn't offer HBO Go or MAX Go.
6. HD picture quality is not as good as DirecTV.
7. DVR's are crap with Insight. Piss poor features and very little HD recording.
8. My cable company has no remote scheduling app or spiffy iPad app like D* has.
9. My DirecTV bill has been pretty stable over the last 2 years while my sisters cable bill has climbed 26%.
10. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Insight doesn't carry MLB Network.

There's 10 reasons why I won't get cable TV. My Insight Internet connection is rock solid and has gone out one time for about a half hour in the 6 years or so that I've had it. My sister claims that the TV service is just as solid, but being able to pull those ten reasons without even thinking about it means I would go Dish before I ever thought about cable.

#17 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

Just because you are no longer with DirecTV doesn't mean you can't be in the forums, I feel it would be good to see updates from your experience for those that have the option of TWC (we have Charter where I live so wouldn't help me a lot). It all boils down to each individual, what each prefers and can afford.

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#18 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

I mean your post no disrespect, but I would like to know this. When the dvr starts to get loud or has problems in the future with TWC do they promise a new DVR every time you call? I had TWC here and never saw a new receiver or DVR. The new Signature home DVR's are likely all new (for now) because the service is new but in the future I don't see them tossing them all in the trash and not sending them back out.

PMFJI, Scott, but you missed the line where the OP said he was running TWC on his new TiVo unit. In most cases, you buy a TiVo unit, you don't lease it from the cable provider. But, as someone who's had two TiVo boxes running constantly since 2003/2006, respectively, I think the odds are very low that he'll have any kind of hardware issue. The things are rock solid. (He's much more likely to have problems with the Cablecards required by any HDTiVo; most cable companies barely know they exist or how to work with them, even though by law they are required to provide them when asked.)

Bob

#19 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

PMFJI, Scott, but you missed the line where the OP said he was running TWC on his new TiVo unit. In most cases, you buy a TiVo unit, you don't lease it from the cable provider.

If I had no choice but cable I would have no problem with buying TiVo DVR's and paying for their service. It would be a monumental leap over what my local cable company charges for. And they charge a LOT more for them.

#20 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

I'm sure you're just trying to rile things up here, but I'll answer seriously anyway, as someone who plans to make the move from cable to DirecTV in the next month or so.

We have digital cable from a local provider who offers very good customer service; whenever there's a problem, they have been very fast to fix it and get things going again.

But they're lagging behind when it comes to HD offerings. (We currently get about 20; the only premium HD channels are HBO, Showtime, and Starz. Most of the HDs are, to my mind, bizarre choices: Speed, History, etc., where much of the programming is stretched to fit the aspect ratio.) I annually write to them requesting AMC, TLC, Lifetime in HD. And the Travel Channel at all.

If we weren't diehard TiVo users, we would have left years ago because their DVRs are terrible. Over the years, I've tried to add tuners to our setup, using their boxes, and they last about two months before they a) forget they have a hard drive and have to be replaced, or B) completely shut down and fail to power up again. . . and need to be replaced.

Long, boring answer, I know. But not every cable company is the same. And for what I want in TV programming, it doesn't look like anyone comes close to offering what DirecTV does. As soon as they release their HDTiVo unit, we're on-board.

Bob

spam firewall