Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Goodbye

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Even if TWC had the channels that DIRECTV has I couldn't afford to switch to them. Our TWC system charges $10.99/month for DVR server, $9/month for WHDVR service and $7.99/month for a STB, to match what my DIRECTV service is now (seven HD DVR's and WHDVR) TWC would be $75.92 just for hardware vs. $46 for DIRECTV.

$30 a month less for hardware, but a new customer would have to factor in the up-front cost of 6 additional DirecTV DVR's at $199 apiece, no? That said, they may cost less if you get the right CSR.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

A friend of mine recently got one of those TiVo Premiere boxes and she has it hooked up to TWC using a "cable card" and adapter box so the TiVo acts like the cable box. It's pretty slick I thought as I played around with it.

Then she showed me how much it costs. Yowch!!

TiVo pops her $19 a month and TWC tosses in a charge for the "cable card" and adapter. Then I saw how much programming cost her! It's lots more than my Choice Xtra and when I went to select a few shows on my favorite channels I discovered they weren't in her package.

I suffered along with cable for nine years because there was no other choice and when I finally blew a gasket dealing with them I vowed I'd NEVER return after switching to DirecTV. So far I've kept my promise to myself.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#53 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

I don't understand why so many come on here and announce their decision to leave DTV and go with another provider.
Not that I post here much.....if I ever switched providers....I sure wouldn't come on here and announce it.

Good luck to the OP anyway!
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#54 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

I don't understand why so many come on here and announce their decision to leave DTV and go with another provider.
Not that I post here much.....if I ever switched providers....I sure wouldn't come on here and announce it.

Good luck to the OP anyway!

If Verizon would come up with a decent offer that would save me a few bucks per month I would switch to FiOS. They haven't quite done so yet.

I am not an NFL fan. I watch the Super Bowl at a party and pay more attention to the commercials than the game.

If I leave DirecTV I would leave a message thanking everyone for their help the last five years. :)

As a matter of fact, why wait. I thank everyone now...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#55 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

The fact that this is even a decision to be thought about shows me just how awful the cable service is where I live. Cox is all that is available (FIOS is in some of the area but they have stopped expanding for now) and the comparison between D* and Cox is a joke. Cox's prices are higher, the channel selection is abysmal (especially in HD), and the DVR's they offer are beyond disgraceful. They only hold 10.5-12 hours of HD programming, depending on which channels you record.

I can see how someone with options such as TWC could see value in cable. I would have considered FIOS myself it were available here just to avoid the occasional weather issues. But for some of us there are no alternatives to D* that are even in same hemisphere.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...