Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Goodbye

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

Just to clarify:

To my knowledge no TiVo that uses Cablecards -- as all the HD units do -- is capable of handling On Demand/PPV channels, no matter who your cable provider is.

Bob

I thought that TWC came out with a tuning adapter that allowed SVD and PPV to work with some cablecard devices, http://www.timewarne...earn/cable/sdv/

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:20 AM

Just to clarify:

To my knowledge no TiVo that uses Cablecards -- as all the HD units do -- is capable of handling On Demand/PPV channels, no matter who your cable provider is.

Bob

I've got the TiVo Premiere brochure here from Best Buy and in it's feature comparison chart it says that the Premiere is compatible with cable company pay per view and in some markets with on demand. I believe that when I read the Zatz postn(it may have been Engadget) about the new TiVo being used for TW Signature that it stated that the new TiVo did OD and PPV.

#43 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

That's swell that I had an SD TiVo back in the day. I can't even recall if I opted for "lifetime", but even if I did.... I'd be SOL, no?

They've occasionally had promotions to transfer lifetime service from one box to another for free or at a discounted rate. I bought a Sony TiVo in January 2001 and sprung for the lifetime service -- going on 11 years later, that same lifetime account is now tied to an HD TiVo that my father uses with Verizon FiOS.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#44 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Only this board would treat the change of a television service provider as a life altering episode. :nono:

Good luck, jameskelly. I'm glad you're happy.

Life is too short to get frustrated by your TV provider. It's called entertainment for a reason.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#45 OFFLINE   jameskelly

jameskelly

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

You are right. Didn't really use OD anyway. I rent movies thru my Blu-Ray player.

#46 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

45 posts to say Goodbye. Even the Von Trapp family left faster than this...and they were climbing a mountain and wearing curtains! Good luck to you, James. To each his own. :)

#47 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

Whats the point in switching providers anyways? A few years ago, I priced *every* option available to me on tv / internet / phone both bundled and unbundled because I thought DTV was ripping me off and there just isn't that much of a difference between all the various options... you'll get an artificially low price for 1 to 2 yrs and then it'll go back up. Seems like a major PITA to switch everything every 1 to 2 yrs just to get the specials :confused: :confused: :confused:. Once the specials expire, the differences between the various options is +/- $5 (maybe $10) a month or so.

#48 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

I just switched from TWC to DTV this week, and couldn't be happier. Here in central NC, the following issues were HOURLY on TWC:
-Slow channel changes (to the point where the box would freeze)
-Pixelation that is not unlike a poorly pointed antenna receiving a signal from too far away.
-HD channels suddenly not working.
-Audio problems on certain channels.

I love having the NFL Network, HDNet, and the ability to integrate OTA channels into the guide. MASN is an RSN here, but TWC didn't carry it. I hate all of those stupid on demand channels wasting bandwidth and randomly dispersed into the lineup, causing freezing and the picture to disappear until I re-booted the box. Informing them of the problem did nothing as they would only give me a new box that was the same piece of junk that I brought them. I think the HD quality is a bit better on DTV, but I need to see them side by side.

I will say, however, that I do miss Nat Geo Wild in HD, since it is one of the few basic channels that isn't reality shows and crap, even though TWC just added it like 2 weeks ago and I only had it a short time. The HD selection was impressive for the channels they carry and the internet (which I still have) is usually flawless. If you're not a sports fan, I would say TWC is okay. Personally, I will NEVER go back.

#49 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:01 AM

I've got the TiVo Premiere brochure here from Best Buy and in it's feature comparison chart it says that the Premiere is compatible with cable company pay per view and in some markets with on demand. I believe that when I read the Zatz postn(it may have been Engadget) about the new TiVo being used for TW Signature that it stated that the new TiVo did OD and PPV.

Thanks for the corrections!

Bob

#50 OFFLINE   RMBittner

RMBittner

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

Whats the point in switching providers anyways?

For me -- who'll be leaving cable for DirecTV -- price isn't the deciding factor at all. In fact, since we'll be losing a break we get for bundling cable and Internet, our monthly costs will go up by about $5.

The deciding factor for me is programming. We have one cable option locally, and they offer about 20 HD channels, and that includes the locals. It's been two years since they've added any channels, and they have no plans for further expansion at this time.

DirecTV wins hands-down.

Bob

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Even if TWC had the channels that DIRECTV has I couldn't afford to switch to them. Our TWC system charges $10.99/month for DVR server, $9/month for WHDVR service and $7.99/month for a STB, to match what my DIRECTV service is now (seven HD DVR's and WHDVR) TWC would be $75.92 just for hardware vs. $46 for DIRECTV.

$30 a month less for hardware, but a new customer would have to factor in the up-front cost of 6 additional DirecTV DVR's at $199 apiece, no? That said, they may cost less if you get the right CSR.
/steve

#52 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

A friend of mine recently got one of those TiVo Premiere boxes and she has it hooked up to TWC using a "cable card" and adapter box so the TiVo acts like the cable box. It's pretty slick I thought as I played around with it.

Then she showed me how much it costs. Yowch!!

TiVo pops her $19 a month and TWC tosses in a charge for the "cable card" and adapter. Then I saw how much programming cost her! It's lots more than my Choice Xtra and when I went to select a few shows on my favorite channels I discovered they weren't in her package.

I suffered along with cable for nine years because there was no other choice and when I finally blew a gasket dealing with them I vowed I'd NEVER return after switching to DirecTV. So far I've kept my promise to myself.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#53 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

I don't understand why so many come on here and announce their decision to leave DTV and go with another provider.
Not that I post here much.....if I ever switched providers....I sure wouldn't come on here and announce it.

Good luck to the OP anyway!
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#54 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

I don't understand why so many come on here and announce their decision to leave DTV and go with another provider.
Not that I post here much.....if I ever switched providers....I sure wouldn't come on here and announce it.

Good luck to the OP anyway!

If Verizon would come up with a decent offer that would save me a few bucks per month I would switch to FiOS. They haven't quite done so yet.

I am not an NFL fan. I watch the Super Bowl at a party and pay more attention to the commercials than the game.

If I leave DirecTV I would leave a message thanking everyone for their help the last five years. :)

As a matter of fact, why wait. I thank everyone now...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#55 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

The fact that this is even a decision to be thought about shows me just how awful the cable service is where I live. Cox is all that is available (FIOS is in some of the area but they have stopped expanding for now) and the comparison between D* and Cox is a joke. Cox's prices are higher, the channel selection is abysmal (especially in HD), and the DVR's they offer are beyond disgraceful. They only hold 10.5-12 hours of HD programming, depending on which channels you record.

I can see how someone with options such as TWC could see value in cable. I would have considered FIOS myself it were available here just to avoid the occasional weather issues. But for some of us there are no alternatives to D* that are even in same hemisphere.

spam firewall