Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So what is the REAL deal with HD access?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

I recently started bundling with AT&T to get the $5/month discount and had some billing issues in the transition. One of the topics was my HD access. I did do the auto pay and got the free HD access for 24mo, but new customers are getting it free for life. Dish is offering the same deal. So why is it that long time customers (2002) have to pay $10/month? (when the 24mo expires). Any existing customers able to get the for life deal?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

The hope is that by the end of the 24 month period HD will be free (well, included in the base package prices) for everyone.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

We don't know what the packages will be like at that point, but I'm with my Patriot-fan friend, I think it will probably be included in the future.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,649 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

And I think with Dish's program there were other conditions for current customers. You not only had to sign up for autopay, it required a two year contract. Or you had to pay $99 up front.

#5 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

We had to do a 2yr contract to get the 24mo deal too. I don't really care about the contract requirement since I'm not planning on going anywhere.

#6 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

We don't know what the packages will be like at that point, but I'm with my Patriot-fan friend, I think it will probably be included in the future.

Yeah, it seems like they are really moving away from the old DTV attitude of respecting long time customers. My grandfathered Total Choice+ vs. the new package used to be $3 - $5 / month cheaper, now they've closed to gap to $1 I think. I could be off on the numbers though.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,649 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

We had to do a 2yr contract to get the 24mo deal too. I don't really care about the contract requirement since I'm not planning on going anywhere.

I don't recall having to do a two year contract to get it. Though I probably was already under one for my DECA/SWM upgrade and expect to be under another one next month.

#8 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

I don't recall having to do a two year contract to get it. Though I probably was already under one for my DECA/SWM upgrade and expect to be under another one next month.

A lot of the policies these days are based on CSR roulette. Some of them will enforce a stupid policy til they are blue in the face while others couldn't care less. I seem to remember some people saying they didn't have to get contracts for the 24mo HD access and some did. A contract is like the LAST thing I'm going to waste my time arguing with DTV over. I just want my HD access for free like everybody else :sure:.

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Edited by Inkosaurus, 11 November 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,835 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

If it isn't extended nor will I allow autopay.

BTW I got a $20 credit today for their July screw-up. Wonder now if I'll now get that that 24 month extension email.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

And I think with Dish's program there were other conditions for current customers. You not only had to sign up for autopay, it required a two year contract. Or you had to pay $99 up front.

Some had to do those things, but many of us at the time had our subscriptions in such a way that they just gave it to us automagically. I was one of those. I think you had to have HD Platinum and HD Access at the time. They had given both of them away for different periods of time at different times working up to the HD Free for Life.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#12 OFFLINE   csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

dtv doesn't add a two year committment if you sign up for hd free for 24 months. unless you're adding another receiver when the topic comes up, that extends it. But as far as the offer for 24 months, must be on abp, must be above choice, and must keep hd on acct. :)
My opinions are my own and not shared nor equally expressed by directv or any of its affiliates.

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,649 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

If it isn't extended nor will I allow autopay.

BTW I got a $20 credit today for their July screw-up. Wonder now if I'll now get that that 24 month extension email.

I wonder if that's where the confusion is, the stock email.

spam firewall