Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do you lose DNS when Locals arrive?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Since Primestar Days, I have received East & West Distant Networks. When I was migrated to DirecTV in 2000, my grandfathered DNS continued. Last year, it even became HD instead of the SD it was for so many years.

However, I think, later this year, DirecTV might have some of the channels in my market. Please note, I'm already in a TV market, but my DNS were grandfathered from Primestar days.

My question is, when DirecTV does turn on locals in my area, will I lose the DNS or if I don't subscribe to the locals, will the DNS channels stay on? Or will they stay on regardless since I'm grandfathered since 1998 (2000 with DTV)?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   YakeVlad

YakeVlad

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Once the locals become available in your DMA you lose the DNS. Nothing DirecTV can do about that, it's FCC regulations which require it.

#3 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Once the locals become available in your DMA you lose the DNS. Nothing DirecTV can do about that, it's FCC regulations which require it.

Thanks and that is the case even if that isn't why you had DNS? I had DNS since 1998 when they just gave it to you if you asked for it.

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,083 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

Actually, there are grandfather rules that may allow subs to keep DNS even after LIL becomes available. I am not sure what they are with this latest iteration of SHEVRA (or whatever the latest combo of letter is), but I know for a fact that there are subs with both LIL and DNS.

#5 OFFLINE   Whammer1249

Whammer1249

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:18 PM

I switched to D* a year ago, when they did not offer my locals. I requested and received all the NY DNS channels. When D* added my locals in December, they sent me a letter stating that I MUST subscribe to my local channels within 60 days in order to grandfather my DNS channels, which I did. The letter also stated that if I ever drop a DNS channel, I can never get it back. I continue to enjoy both local and DNS service.

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

That is absolutely NOT true. You should be grandfathered in. Not because of Primestar but the new Shvera laws that pased last year stated that if you had DNS before the day the law was passed and before your DMA rolls out its locals then you can keep the DNS feeds and get the local package when it becomes available. When the locals are available I would call and ask for someone familiar with DNS and confirm with them before adding the locals. There is alot of confusion on DNS and you get one chance to get it right. Some reps are not up on everything either so if you want to keep DNS and get your locals once they launch its important that you speak with someone knowedgeable about DNS when adding your locals. Im gonna make some calls myself right now to see what a few people say. I have some pretty good contacts for this stuff.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:46 PM

Actually, there are grandfather rules that may allow subs to keep DNS even after LIL becomes available. I am not sure what they are with this latest iteration of SHEVRA (or whatever the latest combo of letter is), but I know for a fact that there are subs with both LIL and DNS.

That is correct. I have both and have had both for over a year now.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

I switched to D* a year ago, when they did not offer my locals. I requested and received all the NY DNS channels. When D* added my locals in December, they sent me a letter stating that I MUST subscribe to my local channels within 60 days in order to grandfather my DNS channels, which I did. The letter also stated that if I ever drop a DNS channel, I can never get it back. I continue to enjoy both local and DNS service.

While its different for some I would suspect that he would see something like this. I know I would keep a copy of that around just in case I ever needed it.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

You can keep your DNS once locals are available. You will continue to pay the $3.50 per network, for East and West. But once you cancel any or all of your DNS, you will NEVER get it back. I speak from experience on this.

#10 OFFLINE   YakeVlad

YakeVlad

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

I stand corrected an apologize for the misinformation. I used to have DNS and once the LIL became available in my area I lost my DNS. Never got offered the chance to keep them, they just went away.

#11 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,083 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

If I recall correctly, there was a time period where this was the case, so those higher end markets that got SD locals early on, lost their DNS. I want to say it was the revision in December 2004 which addressed distant digital signals. And I think is the revision that grandfathered in subs.

The rules have changed a couple of times. I think I one time I was told I had to drop locals, which I did, and then another time I had to re-add locals, which I also did. Western feeds were taken away, then returned. It's been crazy.

#12 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

I have locals and both East and West DNS

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

Not because of Primestar but the new Shvera laws that pased last year stated that if you had DNS before the day the law was passed and before your DMA rolls out its locals then you can keep the DNS feeds and get the local package when it becomes available.

SHVERA is over and done with. The Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA) is the order of the day through New Year's Eve 2014 (unless extended as SHVERA was).

From the standpoint of STELA, grandfathering of DNS has everything to do with whether you were getting DNS on May 31, 2010.

The aspect of STELA that most don't understand is that it allows you to qualify for DNS as long as you can't get a signal from your DMA's affiliate station. SHVERA required that you try for any affiliate in the area.

STELA also significantly lowered the bar on how hard you have to try to get signal.

The whole "one or the other" thing may or may not be based on STELA.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

SHVERA is over and done with. The Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act (STELA) is the order of the day through New Year's Eve 2014 (unless extended as SHVERA was).

From the standpoint of STELA, grandfathering of DNS has everything to do with whether you were getting DNS on May 31, 2010.

The aspect of STELA that most don't understand is that it allows you to qualify for DNS as long as you can't get a signal from your DMA's affiliate station. SHVERA required that you try for any affiliate in the area.

STELA also significantly lowered the bar on how hard you have to try to get signal.

The whole "one or the other" thing may or may not be based on STELA.

This is partially true. STELA is the new law and yes I knew that but there are no bars for how hard you have to try to get signal. I have spoken with the FCC numerous times and each time they tell me that there is no known signal strength determination that approves or denies a waiver for DNS.

This is part of the problem. In the past you could have a site survey done but now they can pass or deny you so why pay the money to have it done. There are no legal descriptions of what passes and what fails. I am sure that the local affiliates are not eager to get that resolved either because now it goes in their favor of not having to approve anything.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Mika911, the distants weren't just handed out on request back in the ' 90s. One had to answer two questions asked by the CSR: Could you receive your locals OTA, and had you subscribed to cable within the last 90 days. If you answered "no" to both, then you were signed up for the DNS. There was no verification of these answers attempted by DirecTV.

As for the present debate, please keep in mind a clause in the current rules: If one already receives a distant network from an earlier time zone, adding your locals will then require the satellite provider to cancel the DNS. This provision was included to placate local affiliates concerned about losing viewers because of time-shifting.

Whether the provision is automatically implemented or exercised upon request of a local, I have no idea. But the language is there in STELA.

#16 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

Mika911, the distants weren't just handed out on request back in the ' 90s. One had to answer two questions asked by the CSR: Could you receive your locals OTA, and had you subscribed to cable within the last 90 days. If you answered "no" to both, then you were signed up for the DNS. There was no verification of these answers attempted by DirecTV.

As for the present debate, please keep in mind a clause in the current rules: If one already receives a distant network from an earlier time zone, adding your locals will then require the satellite provider to cancel the DNS. This provision was included to placate local affiliates concerned about losing viewers because of time-shifting.

Whether the provision is automatically implemented or exercised upon request of a local, I have no idea. But the language is there in STELA.

Thanks to you and all! Great help!

I apologize of my misunderstanding of the way you got DNS in 90s. I had a small TV installer do the Primestar, and they simply asked me if I wanted to pay for DNS because they new reception was "spotty at best." I said "sounds like a good deal!" They must have answered the questions.

The time shifting clause sounds concerning.

Well, can't worry too much but everyone has GREATLY increased my knowledge on this.

When they add my locals, I will keep my account the same for now. If I receive a letter saying I must add locals to keep DNS, then I will do so, otherwise, I won't risk changing anything.

Thanks again!

#17 OFFLINE   Taltizer

Taltizer

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

I have been a DTV subscriber for over 16 years now and I have had DNS East and West Coast for over 16 years.In 2003 SD Locals were added and I still got to keep my DNS no problem.In 2009 my HD Locals were added I have them and still get my DNS East and West Coast DNS with no problem.Then about a year ago they went from SD to HD DNS being added still no problem.So I dont see where you would have any problem unless you drop them then you will never be able to get them back.So I would not worry.Oh and by the way when my locals SD and HD were added we got them for over 30 days or more before we had to call in to keep them.Hope this helps.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:38 AM

I have been a DTV subscriber for over 16 years now and I have had DNS East and West Coast for over 16 years.In 2003 SD Locals were added and I still got to keep my DNS no problem.In 2009 my HD Locals were added I have them and still get my DNS East and West Coast DNS with no problem.Then about a year ago they went from SD to HD DNS being added still no problem.So I dont see where you would have any problem unless you drop them then you will never be able to get them back.So I would not worry.Oh and by the way when my locals SD and HD were added we got them for over 30 days or more before we had to call in to keep them.Hope this helps.

Just to give an idea of how screwed up the whole DNS can be:
I too had DNS back in '03/'04, with local SD.
By '06 I had HD locals and still had DNS HD & SD.
By '07 DirecTV sent out a letter limiting HD to only the adjacent time zone, so lost my east coast feed.
By '08 DirecTV pulled my DNS.
No changes to my account/programing was ever done, as I still have the same package as in '03.

"At best" DNS is a crap shoot, which is under the complete control of your local stations and their waviers.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   nickg2

nickg2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

i had the distant nets when i had D prior from the old Primestar days. now that i re-upped with D after having Dish i do miss them -- especially when i had more choices for games during football season with getting locals OTA as well.

i still think not being able to receive distant nets is a crock.

#20 OFFLINE   newsposter

newsposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

[quote name='joshjr']That is correct. I have both and have had both for over a year now.[/QUOT

i have a friend that never lost them either..kinda surprised
57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
HR10-250 63 hrs w/DB8 antenna (parts :))
1/2 full Sony T60 (historical value)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...