Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Just ordered upgrade - why new HD DVRs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   csf97

csf97

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

I just ordered the whole home upgrade. The CSR was wonderful and has set me up nicely with two new HD DVR's to replace my existing HR21 and HR20, a new HD Receiver to replace a D12-300, and the Cinema kit with all free equipment and free installation.

Back when MRV was free, I set it up using the HD DVR's that will be replaced. I attached the HR21 to a wireless bridge and the HR20 directly to the router and was able to enjoy the MRV until they cut it off and started charging for it.

So, if the old receivers worked for MRV, why are they replacing them? Definitely not complaining - just curious as to the difference!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Clueless CSR?

I would suspect when the installer shows up to do the upgrade, he'll leave the DVRs you have in place as they do fully support MRV. If they are replaced, it may be with almost anything (no assurance of HR24's), so if it were me I would keep what I have (and keep my recordings).

#3 OFFLINE   macwinlin

macwinlin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hmm, not sure. HR20/21 are compatible with Whole-Home and SWiM.
My Setup
--
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

I have three HR20s and one HR21 that would say..yes...they are. I even have an R22 in the mix, along with a couple of HR24s.

It could just be some pro-active replacing. I've recently had a couple of hard drive failures.

#5 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,416 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

They most certainly are. See this thread for compatibility information: http://www.dbstalk.c...710#post2411710

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#6 OFFLINE   macwinlin

macwinlin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

^Meaning I'm not sure why they would replace them as they ARE compatible.

Not sure why DTV would proactively replace a working and still-distributed model. Guess we'll find out when your tech arrives!! :)
My Setup
--
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

I just ordered the whole home upgrade. The CSR was wonderful and has set me up nicely with two new HD DVR's to replace my existing HR21 and HR20, a new HD Receiver to replace a D12-300, and the Cinema kit with all free equipment and free installation.

Back when MRV was free, I set it up using the HD DVR's that will be replaced. I attached the HR21 to a wireless bridge and the HR20 directly to the router and was able to enjoy the MRV until they cut it off and started charging for it.

So, if the old receivers worked for MRV, why are they replacing them? Definitely not complaining - just curious as to the difference!

Don't look a 'gift' horse in the mouth. If you get new receivers, thank the installer.

If not, double check the DECA connection on the HR20 to make sure it is done according to the diagram that's here on DBStalk.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

They most certainly are.

That's what he said.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   csf97

csf97

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:49 PM

Thanks, everybody. I didn't tell the CSR when I called, but we have been having some issues with both of the old HD DVRs (playback issues on one and have to reset often on the other to retain second satellite feed).

So, I suppose I will let them be replaced. Is there a model that I absolutely should not accept as a replacement for these (i.e. one that is so much worse brand new than these are with their occasional glitches)? And, I'm guessing the HR24 is what I should have my fingers crossed that the new ones are?

#10 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

^Meaning I'm not sure why they would replace them as they ARE compatible.

Not sure why DTV would proactively replace a working and still-distributed model. Guess we'll find out when your tech arrives!! :)

Sorry about that. I've become accustomed to ignoring punctuation when reading online content. I should have paid closer attention. :)

#11 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,416 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Sorry about that. I've become accustomed to ignoring punctuation when reading online content. I should have paid closer attention. :)

+1

I had the same problem. I re-read that post and it's clear as day now. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#12 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:06 PM

The only HD receiver that has to get replaced is the H20 as it has no Ethernet port. I'd say be prepared for it to end up happening either way. Ultimately, CSR's don't control what ends up on the order and the system figures out what needs to happen based on your config in their system and it is what builds the order.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...