Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

I called customer service last month to cancel my service (of nearly 15 years), but the representative convinced me to stay on with an upgrade to HD service and a reduction in my monthly bill from $82.99 to $60.99 for 12 months with a new 2 year commitment for the new HDDVR. The representative confirmed this monthly total multiple times and I agreed to it.

Unfortunately, a month later my bill is coming out to $70.99 because of a $10"HD Access" charge. I was told by the same representative that handled the upgrade that HD Access was free as long as I signed up for electronic billing (which I did that day). Now, I've spent hours on the phone with multiple reps who basically tell me "yep, I see that's what you were promised", but there's no way the "system" will let them apply both an "HD Access" credit and a "DVR Credit" at the same time.

The second representative I spoke to while trying to get this resolved promised me a one-time credit of $120 to make up for the bill being $70.99 for the next 12 months, which I accepted, but he then transferred me to a rude supervisor who simply said that couldn't be done and I'm stuck with my bill as it is. So broken promises on top of broken promises.

On top of that, after I got off the phone I turned on my turn on my TV only to be alerted that suddenly "DVR service is not actived on your account". And I've had lifetime DVR service since the original Series 1 DirecTiVo). So not only did they not resolve the issue with my bill, they screwed up my service.

Now they're telling me they need to charge an ADDITIONAL $7 to turn the DVR service back on! What the freaking hell?!

It doesn't seem unreasonable for me to expect my bill to be what I was told me it would be in exchange for the new 2-year commitment, yet no one I've spoken to after several hours on the phone seems to be able to make this right.

Does anyone on this board know what the magic words are to get through to someone who can address this issue? I'm going out of my mind!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Send a [calm] email the the VP of customer service: ellen.filipiak@directv.com
Her group should be able to help you.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   csrrocks2011

csrrocks2011

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Did you happen to change your package at all while talking to anyone? Thats the only thing I cant think of that would knock off your dvr service, thats if you had an expired package with dvr service included.
My opinions are my own and not shared nor equally expressed by directv or any of its affiliates.

#4 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

Nope, the only change was supposed to be the addition of HD service with an HD-DVR replacing my old standard-def unit. My package is the same "Total Choice" it's been for the last 14 years or so.
Anyway, I've emailed Ellen, so we'll see how that goes.
Thanks folks.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

There is something wrong with their system. I called an hour ago to reauthroize a deactivated HD receiver in the guest room, and the CSR turned it on immediately. I just went into the living room to watch tonights shows, and find not only the "DVR SERVICE NOT ACTIVE" message, but also Whole Home DVR service was also cancelled and I was credited with $1.50 for the rest of this period.

I called to get the problem resolved, and "Their system is down until 6 am".

Good Lord, whats next.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   tritch

tritch

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

VOS is correct. Ellen's "Customer Advocacy Group" are the only rep's that I know of that can restore your lifetime DVR service to your account. These CSR's have special privileges that the others don't have. I had the same issue myself several years ago and wasted a lot of time with their regular CSR's.
Directv customer since 1995
HR24-500 w/ AM21

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

VOS is correct. Ellen's "Customer Advocacy Group" are the only rep's that I know of that can restore your lifetime DVR service to your account. These CSR's have special privileges that the others don't have. I had the same issue myself several years ago and wasted a lot of time with their regular CSR's.

Thanks for that tip. Just emailed Ellen, rather than going through a CSR and having it messed up further.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

So the theory is that somehow the fact that I have (or perhaps "had" now that they've screwed up my account) the "DIRECTV DVR Service Lifetime" on my bill prior to my "upgrade" is the root of the problem.

I seem to recall that at some point back in the day, I paid $300 or so for "Lifetime" DVR service on my Series 1 DirecTiVo (on top of the $400 the TiVo cost when it first came out back in 2000), so it's not like they're doing me any favor in not charging me for it now.

From what I've read, I didn't even score that great of an upgrade deal (especially after nearly 15 years of service); and I could have gotten a really terrific deal if I'd jumped through the hoops to be a "new" subscriber or just switched to Dish, so this is a hell of way to be treating their long-standing customers.

I hope this team "Ellen" can get my account straightened out, but regardless of the outcome, I'm pretty sure I've started the countdown clock on my relationship with DirecTV. I've never in my entire life had such an incredibly frustrating experience with customer support.

#9 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:45 PM

Someone from the Customer Advocate Team got this fixed for me today. The source of the problem was indeed my long-standing Lifetime TiVo/DVR service which the regular support line just isn't familiar with.
If it weren't for this forum telling me how to get through to the right people, I'd have been completely out of luck, so thanks very much for the assistance. It's just a shame that the regular support line doesn't seem to have any way to escalate an issue to the "Cusotmer Advocate Team". You really shouldn't need to know the secret handshake to get your issues resolved...

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

Someone from the Customer Advocate Team got this fixed for me today. The source of the problem was indeed my long-standing Lifetime TiVo/DVR service which the regular support line just isn't familiar with.
If it weren't for this forum telling me how to get through to the right people, I'd have been completely out of luck, so thanks very much for the assistance. It's just a shame that the regular support line doesn't seem to have any way to escalate an issue to the "Cusotmer Advocate Team". You really shouldn't need to know the secret handshake to get your issues resolved...

While I understand what you're saying, "the secret handshake" is on the DirecTV website.
Also remember this was an old package and they have some 10,000 CSRs, so things can be a crap shoot.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

To be fair, it seems to be pretty well hidden on the web site. The only place I can find it (with the advantage of now knowing it exists) is on "investor.directv.com/contactus.cfm". The standard "Contact Us" page doesn't note it anywhere and none of the CSRs ever mentioned it at any point in my 4-hour ordeal.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

To be fair, it seems to be pretty well hidden on the web site. The only place I can find it (with the advantage of now knowing it exists) is on "investor.directv.com/contactus.cfm". The standard "Contact Us" page doesn't note it anywhere and none of the CSRs ever mentioned it at any point in my 4-hour ordeal.

OK "buried" but not a "secret".
I'm guessing they want most to email the response team, and then when that doesn't work [if it doesn't] one would dig harder to find Ellen's group.
[I'm not trying to say this is a perfect system]
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

It's nice that your "lifetime" :sure: DVR service has been restored BUT did you manage to get the $10 HD access fee also removed for TWO years?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...