Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No "Recently Deleted" Folder?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

I recently got an HR24 and notice there doesn't appear to be any way to recover an accidentally deleted show. My Series 2 DirecTiVo has had a "Recently Deleted" folder for years now, which served two handy purposes; 1) it did away with the need to have an "are you sure" prompt every single time you delete something from the list and 2) it saved my ass about once a year when I'd accidentally delete something I shouldn't have.

Am I just overlooking an obscure "recover" method on the HR24 or a hidden "Trash" bin somewhere in the UI or is there some reason they don't have this? It seems like this would be just about the easiest feature in the world to add to a DVR and I'm surprised if it's missing on the latest tech when my old TiVo has had it for so long...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

Nope, you're not missing anything; current DirecTV DVRs don't have a recovery/undelete feature.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:47 AM

And often requested feature on the DirecTV DVRs.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:06 AM

Nah ...

As noted by a DIRECTV product manager to a poster named "Citivas" at CES 2011 back in January. There were two opposing camps in STB development, for and against, adding the feature.

Unfortunately the group against won out. For now at least ...

http://www.dbstalk.c...969#post2677969

#5 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

Wow, really? What's the "against" argument other than what would have to be a fairly minimal dev/test cost?

#6 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

Wow, really? What's the "against" argument other than what would have to be a fairly minimal dev/test cost?

As was stated in the link;

From a poster named "seern" on 1-8-11, 8:42 AM PST

I am disappointed about no undelete being added in the future.

Response by Citivas on 1-8-11, 10:02 AM PST

Me too. He said there were "two camps" in the development team. Those against it believe that it isn't that useful because of the prompting before delete and that the implementation would take away drive space. I didn't really follow why it had to do that versus just flagging deleted programs and letting them be written over as necessary but converted to undelete if still available at the time, as in PC disc recovery apps, but I didn't press the point or get into a detailed discussion. Perhaps the way they handle disc use makes this less striaght forward, I have no idea. I did show him how menu lag and double tap on red could cause the incorrect show to be deleted above or below the intended one and he seemed to appreciate that.

#7 OFFLINE   Barmstro

Barmstro

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Huh. I wonder if they don't realize you no longer need a confirmation prompt when deleting from the list if there's a deleted items folder available to undo any mistake (when the feature was added on my TiVo, they also did away with that instance of the confirmation prompt). And the "drive space" argument makes no sense at all. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

#8 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,485 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Tivo's "Recently Deleted Folder" is a good implementation. Deleted shows don't hang around there forever. They're deleted when the DVR needs to make room. But it does provide a quick recovery from the "oh damn, didn't mean to delete that one".
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#9 OFFLINE   Mykroft

Mykroft

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

I'll add yet another scenario that is a good reason to have an undelete feature. I recently set my DVR to record an Indycar race this past weekend. When I went to check it, it had a qualifying event (which is always picked up by the series manager) and a 30-minute race recording, which was obviously incorrect.

I deleted the qualifying event right away because I always do that and I never watch the qualifying. When I went to watch the race, it was 30 minutes of infomercials at 5am the morning after the race.

What had happened was that the TV channel messed up the titles of the programs and the actual race was broadcast with the "Qualifying" title. So, I ended up blowing away the race I had wanted to watch with no way to get it back.

This is clearly a programming error on the networks part, but if there had been an undelete option (or a recently deleted area) I would've been able to recover that recording and been able to enjoy it.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

And often requested feature on the DirecTV DVRs.

http://wishlistsurvey.com/

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

That's not necessarily a valid assumption. There's obviously not a great deal of processing power left over in the weakest of the HR2x series.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   xyzzy42

xyzzy42

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

That's not necessarily a valid assumption. There's obviously not a great deal of processing power left over in the weakest of the HR2x series.

There isn't any additional processing required to move a program into a different folder, only when space is needed to record something new. That logic already exists and would need only minor changes - really delete the oldest thing(s) in the deleted folder before using the existing logic to free space. The main difference is that the drive would always be full, even if it appears to be nearly empty. The existing software is already supposed to be able to handle this situation gracefully.

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

DirecTV's answer to the undelete requests is that they no longer tell customers you can delete a highlighted show in the playlist by pressing the dash (-) key twice rapidly. :lol:

PS: It still works on all DVR's BUT BE CAREFUL...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

I recently got an HR24 and notice there doesn't appear to be any way to recover an accidentally deleted show. My Series 2 DirecTiVo has had a "Recently Deleted" folder for years now, which served two handy purposes; 1) it did away with the need to have an "are you sure" prompt every single time you delete something from the list and 2) it saved my ass about once a year when I'd accidentally delete something I shouldn't have.

Am I just overlooking an obscure "recover" method on the HR24 or a hidden "Trash" bin somewhere in the UI or is there some reason they don't have this? It seems like this would be just about the easiest feature in the world to add to a DVR and I'm surprised if it's missing on the latest tech when my old TiVo has had it for so long...

You can also prss dash twice to delete something without a prompt, if you are looking to make that faster.

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

A system that is designed counter to the way people work...

"Wait a minute! I didn't mean that!"

...is not an proper system to me. Folks are using these boxes. They should be intuitive.

Not having a Recently Deleted folder is stupid.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#16 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

Tivo's "Recently Deleted Folder" is a good implementation. Deleted shows don't hang around there forever. They're deleted when the DVR needs to make room. But it does provide a quick recovery from the "oh damn, didn't mean to delete that one".

The one problem I had with it on the DirecTIVOs was that after they implemented it (which I did not immediately notice) was that you did not get an "are you sure?" prompt any longer.

What happened to me was I was once going through the play list, and where before you could use the "clear" key (lower left), to clear the display, now the clear key simply just deleted the program you happened to be hovering over in the list, even if it was a "keep until I delete" program. I did this once and noticed it (the deleting message was only on screen for a second or so) , and after panicking I happened to find the deleted items folder and undeleted that program.

However, I did lose a saved 2004 episode of Good Morning America my then middle school daughter could be seen in front and center during the on-the-street weather updates. I strongly suspect the clear key and quick delete feature is what did me in on that program and I or someone else in the family just did not happen to catch it. It was marked as "keep" and had been on the device for 5 years. :(

#17 OFFLINE   krunk

krunk

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

Yes, I am aware that his thread is old, yet I still registered and will share just how happy I am that DirecTV DVR does not have an undelete option. Simply ecstatic.

Came back from a trip to find 94 HD episodes of "How it's made" which completely cluttered the HD. Forgot to cancel series record, happens.

In the LIST menu there is NO option to delete the entire tree, and since I'm not a automaton I looked if there's a multiple title delete option. Naturally for that I had to go online and run all kinds of search strings. But alas, found the "yellow" button sub menu (who would have though GUI options are color coded to buttons with no names?...) and after selecting the "How It's Made" tree proceeded to chose "select all", and then delete.

To any normal, reasonable, and not a completely retarded person that would have seen like a sound choice, but guess what. Yep, that's right, unless a grown adult with crap to do is sadomasochistic and actually enjoys listing through over a 100 titles to mark and un-mark each one for deletion, yep, you guessed it, that choice simply DELETED THE ENTIRE HD, with out even a warning like;

"Hey dude, you're about to format your drive, you sure about that? Just asking..."

The reason I'm so very, very, absolutely ecstatically happy is because after a complete nightmare and final DIVORCE from Comcast and their "mafia racketeering overbilling crew Inc", I have to admit that TV broadcasting be it over cable or beamed from space, is a completely obsolete, 20th century PUSH media technology which this house must completely break free from.

Unfortunately I do have 1 year left on a contract (really, like a prison sentence), but come Monday I'll be switching from PREMIER Package to absolute basic, and getting on the PULL media technology bandwagon, FLIX and such.

No really, if the "folks" at DirecTV feel that it's necessary to reverse engineer a perfectly working TiVo product into an "intelligence insulting machine", then I can only be grateful for such a wonderful hint, and instead of being a "house idiot that deleted EVERYONE'S shows and movies and stuff", I will make an effort and become a media educator to will make sure that everyone in this house knows how to PULL what ever media content they freaking want. Not to mention storing what every they want on a local NAS and not some stupid little box with *** backwards GUI and a hard drive so puny that my laptops HD is putting it to shame.

Really, a format function with out actually being called format, with out a warning that ENTIRE drive will be wiped, and naturally not even a hint that there's absolutely NO UNDELETE. This thing works like some sort of a twisted booby trap, you kind of feel like you need to pull on a string to get what you need done, but what you don't know is that a piano is about to drop on your head. Pricks :nono2:

Oh yeah, prob a good time to gripe about the oh not so subtle "we're gonna make you watch the last 10-15 seconds of a commercial block regardless of how you fell 'bout it" skip/FF option. Now isn't that special. In order to throw down one more selling point to advertizes, a simple act of fast forwarding is turned into a twisted "catch it if you can" game of irritation. Again, one HAS to be a prick to think of an annoyance like that :mad:

Now since all of my soothingly relaxing nature and ocean shows are permanently gone from DVR, I'll have to fire up my HTPC with perfectly tuned PotPlayer on a Madshi VR, and watch some true High Definition quality material, and not this crappy, compressed to death imitation which at best should be designated as "Kinda High Resolution".

That should just about cover it. Cheers all, and screw all slick pricks that slime their way through life while being completely convinced of their superiority.

#18 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,135 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

In the LIST menu there is NO option to delete the entire tree...

You can, indeed, delete everything in a folder in one stroke (well, maybe 2 or 3 strokes, LOL). Instead of highlighting each of the 94 episodes you wish to delete, simply highlight the main folder title--it's the top most listing of the show name you wish to delete. Press the red button, choose yes when asked if you wish to "delete all programs within the folder...", and voila! The entire folder and its contents are deleted.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

I don't think I'm familiar with Internet based sources that don't compress. The only uncompressed sources I can think of is OTA and Blu-Ray.

#20 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

If you don't want to delete it, don't delete it. Pretty simple solution.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

spam firewall