Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No "Recently Deleted" Folder?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

what happens is that question IS NOT DISPLAYED (or more accurately is displayed for a micro-second before it moves on and deletes)

It's always displayed. The only reason you only see it for "a micro-second" is because you get too impatient and hit select before it pops up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

It's always displayed. The only reason you only see it for "a micro-second" is because you get too impatient and hit select before it pops up.

Yes it is because you hit select before the question pops up, but sometimes when the receiver starts responding slowly to commands it is easy to do. I myself have done this on a couple occasions. Scrolling through the playlist trying to clean things out and I hit red, down, select, and next thing I know the cursor moves down to a different show and deletes it instead of the one that I was trying to delete because the DVR had buffered in other keypresses.

If the receivers responded to the remote better I think less people would have this issue, or make this request.

I wouldn't mind it if it we had something like how I understand the TIVO worked. You delete a program and it moves into a trash bin. All the programs stay in the trash bin recorded on the hard drive until that space is needed to record something else. Then the oldest items in the trash bin gets removed to make room for the new recording and it's gone forever. Anything else can be restored though if you end up needing it again.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yes it is because you hit select before the question pops up, but sometimes when the receiver starts responding slowly to commands it is easy to do.

Not if you know that the unit can sometimes be quirky and know you should wait a moment to be sure. Based on the amount of people here that complain about slow response at times I'm pretty sure people know to expect it.

I myself have done this on a couple occasions. Scrolling through the playlist trying to clean things out and I hit red, down, select, and next thing I know the cursor moves down to a different show and deletes it instead of the one that I was trying to delete because the DVR had buffered in other keypresses.

Take it slow, it's not a race, and don't stack keypresses if you know to expect the DVR to be slow to respond.

If the receivers responded to the remote better I think less people would have this issue, or make this request.

Again, people know to expect it...

I wouldn't mind it if it we had something like how I understand the TIVO worked. You delete a program and it moves into a trash bin. All the programs stay in the trash bin recorded on the hard drive until that space is needed to record something else. Then the oldest items in the trash bin gets removed to make room for the new recording and it's gone forever. Anything else can be restored though if you end up needing it again.

Or better yet just don't delete anything. Set your HR to handle deletions for you by configuring how many episodes of a show you want, if you want something deleted when space is low, something you want to keep until you specifically say delete it, etc. The options are all there.

I'm not saying a deleted items folder would be bad, clearly it wouldn't. And I'm not saying there's not an issue with speed on some boxes, clearly there is. I just don't see how people are still blaming the box, or DirecTV, when they know how to work around it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

Not if you know that the unit can sometimes be quirky and know you should wait a moment to be sure. Based on the amount of people here that complain about slow response at times I'm pretty sure people know to expect it.

The problem is it's not always predictable. Sometimes my receivers appear to be funtioning at a normal speed so I get careless and then all the sudden they slow down right at a bad moment.

I'm not super upset about this as some people seem to be, I deal with it, but it would be nice if there was a way to get the recording back if something like this were to happen.

Or better yet just don't delete anything. Set your HR to handle deletions for you by configuring how many episodes of a show you want, if you want something deleted when space is low, something you want to keep until you specifically say delete it, etc. The options are all there.

No way. I don't want my receiver deciding what to keep or delete. I want it to record everything I tell it to record because I plan on watching everything I record. However every now and then things come up and my DVR gets full so I (or my wife) have to go through and delete the items we feel like we are willing to give up on watching in order to make room. With me it tends to be stuff like Justified that I plan on buying on Blu-Ray eventually so I just delete the whole season and have to wait for the Blu-Ray to watch it. It happens more often with my wife who records stuff like House Hunters, Ellen, and Doctor Phil, which air pretty much every day. Those tend to fill up her DVR if she gets busy so she then goes through and deletes episodes that don't sound all that interesting to her. She doesn't want the DVR just to decide to delete anything more than 5 episodes, she wants to make the decision on her own.

Also, another good reason is that it seems to be the fuller the hard drive on a DVR the worse the response is, so letting it fill up rather than deleting stuff yourself isn't the greatest idea if you don't want your receivers lagging.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#55 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

When you're deleting an entire folder it tells you what folder you're deleting, every time.

Yes, it does but I knew what I was Deleting and then it Jumped Down after I had Selected and Confirmed to Delete it and it may have stated Jay Leno but I was not looking for that as I had already seen that I was Deleting the Episode above the Jay Leno Folder.

If not for the Lag Problem I would Never have Deleted the Jay Leno Folder but it still would be Nice if Direct could give us that Option which would not be hard to do Codewise and it would not take any resources to do so.

Those people who choose not to use it would not lose anything because the Option is there.

You have it on a PC so why not include it on our DVR which is a PC running Directv Software so we can View and Record Programs we want???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

The problem is it's not always predictable. Sometimes my receivers appear to be funtioning at a normal speed so I get careless and then all the sudden they slow down right at a bad moment.

Yeah, I get the not always predictable thing but don't you always prepare for it? It's kind of like the brakes on your car... If they feel "weird" or don't respond properly, even once, aren't you cautious from then on until you get them fixed?

I'm not super upset about this as some people seem to be, I deal with it, but it would be nice if there was a way to get the recording back if something like this were to happen.

Yeah, I've noticed you're pretty level headed. :) I agree, it would be nice to have but not as a stop gap measurement because people can't figure out what they are deleting and when. :lol:

No way. I don't want my receiver deciding what to keep or delete.

But it's not deciding for you. You're explicitly telling it what to delete and when.

Also, another good reason is that it seems to be the fuller the hard drive on a DVR the worse the response is, so letting it fill up rather than deleting stuff yourself isn't the greatest idea if you don't want your receivers lagging.

I've seen others report that. I haven't experienced it myself though because I have 2TB in each DVR and rarely get to less than 65% available.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yes, it does but I knew what I was Deleting and then it Jumped Down after I had Selected and Confirmed to Delete it and it may have stated Jay Leno but I was not looking for that as I had already seen that I was Deleting the Episode above the Jay Leno Folder.

Don't go nuts on the keypresses. :lol:

Those people who choose not to use it would not lose anything because the Option is there.

Very true but what if adding it led to other problems that people complained about?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Don't go nuts on the keypresses. :lol:

Very true but what if adding it led to other problems that people complained about?

I do it to get people's attention and to Highlight certain Words I want to Emphasize!!! (or to drive some people Nuts). :lol:

It would be simple to implement and it doesn't cause any problems on my PC. All you do is re-establish an address directory pointer to the Deleted Recording and remove the Delete Flag.

Edited by Richierich, 16 May 2012 - 07:28 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

It would be simple to implement and it doesn't cause any problems on my PC. All you do is re-establish an address directory pointer to the Deleted Recording and remove the Delete Flag.

Well most of us know that. Most of us also know there's a tendency for new features to introduce new issues in DirecTV firmware too.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#60 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

Well most of us know that. Most of us also know there's a tendency for new features to introduce new issues in DirecTV firmware too.

For sure. It is not a TiVo and never will be.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#61 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

For sure. It is not a TiVo and never will be.

Thank god...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#62 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, I get the not always predictable thing but don't you always prepare for it? It's kind of like the brakes on your car... If they feel "weird" or don't respond properly, even once, aren't you cautious from then on until you get them fixed?

Of course, but you do get them fixed! It appears that Directv isn't doing a good job in getting the slow response issues with the dvrs fixed.

#63 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Of course, but you do get them fixed! It appears that Directv isn't doing a good job in getting the slow response issues with the dvrs fixed.

Agreed. I don't think we're debating that though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#64 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

True.

#65 OFFLINE   M3 Pete

M3 Pete

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

Read the thread hoping to find that DTV pulled their head out and added the undelete feature. Since they did not, I get to tell the wife I deleted the Olympic opening ceremony when I was just trying to delete another part of the Olympics. Guess I should be happy for YouTube

#66 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Read the thread hoping to find that DTV pulled their head out and added the undelete feature. Since they did not, I get to tell the wife I deleted the Olympic opening ceremony when I was just trying to delete another part of the Olympics. Guess I should be happy for YouTube

I think they are going to rebroadcast it...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...