Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Should the Federal Gov't. regulate DirecTV receivers and other STBs?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

Indeed.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#22 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,865 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

So she want flash memory to become hard memory. With a bootup similar to a computer.

Just who's going to pay for all this new hardware. Not the companies. Yep it would be the consumer.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

So she want flash memory to become hard memory. With a bootup similar to a computer.

Just who's going to pay for all this new hardware. Not the companies. Yep it would be the consumer.

She didn't ask for that - it's your poor imagination telling us :).

As I mention (not reading posts ? ) old DVR models had the features to reduce load - spin-down drive at least - it did cut in half or more of standby energy consumption.

#24 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

She didn't ask for that - it's your poor imagination telling us :).

As I mention (not reading posts ? ) old DVR models had the features to reduce load - spin-down drive at least - it did cut in half or more of standby energy consumption.

Try only by 10W out of 35W. At least on the HR20-700.

What DIRECTV has done is use the new, less consumptive drives as they have become available.

Then we get into what features do you want to lose by spinning down the drive? Two weeks of guide? Live buffers? Start up time?

These aren't quiescent systems even in standby. Guide updates need to be processed constantly or run the risk of losing a recording that was scheduled at the last minute. (Think about a live even that runs over and reschedules CSI for a midnite broadcast on your local station.)

Yes, in theory, a lot of engineering could be spent on saving money. At the cost of money that DIRECTV won't get paid for.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#25 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

And I don't want to manually have to press a button on the face of my STB because the unit is not able to "listen" for IR commands.

They make power strips for consumers that want to completely shut off power to their components. I do not happen to be one of those consumers.

Instead, I have spent hours, and have many more hours to go air sealing every penetration in my attic. How about changing building codes so that HVAC companies are required to apply mastic to every connection. It may add $200 to the cost of installing the system, but that is $200 that would be repaid quickly and many times over in energy savings vs. adding $$ to the cost of STB that would take much longer and have much lower ROI.

spam firewall