Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network receiver affecting OTA with diplexer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlclarkjr

dlclarkjr

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:30 PM

I had a 508 installed by my local Dish Network rep last year. The antenna runs into the basement through the preamp and back outside again where it's combined with the DSS signal using a diplexer. The signal is split just before the TV with another diplexer. I used to unplug the 508 and the OTA would come in perfect. I just had an 811 installed and it's the same problem. Local digital broadcasts are about 10% stronger simply by disconnecting the satellite cable from the back of the 811 or at the diplexer. As long as there is no DSS cable run to the 811, the OTA is strong. As soon as I hook it back up, there's a spark at the coax connector, and interference on the OTA.

Any ideas? If all else fails, I am going to bypass the diplexers and make a new run for the OTA.

Thanks, Don

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:26 PM

Any ideas? If all else fails, I am going to bypass the diplexers and make a new run for the OTA. Thanks, Don

RUN THE SEPERATE COAX. Diplexing is not the "best way" to deliver signal.

#3 Guest_Guesst925XTU_*

Guest_Guesst925XTU_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:32 PM

I had a similar problem, I changed to the diplexers found here:

http://www.lashen.co...VI/SDX100TG.asp

and it solved my problems, much easier than running a 2nd cable!

Try this first, it's cheap & easy.

#4 OFFLINE   Rocky Watson

Rocky Watson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

Your spark in the coax is the voltage going out of the receiver to the lnbs and switches it's normal and will always be there as for ota we don't have any ota signals to use in western kansas where we are at so we only diplex for backfeeding other tv's in the houses

rock

spam firewall