Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv can insert local commercials into national channels

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

Exactly right Jeremy....even the cable system I had 30+ years ago could insert local commercials.

It's a little more difficult for cable companies to make their commercials unskippable, since they're simply inserted into the signal instead of being played out by the local STB. Although it's certainly possible, and I'm sure we'll see this "feature" expanding to cable, and eventually to most commercials.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

I think he's talking about making the ads unskippable, not the simple insertion capability.

Exactly right Jeremy....even the cable system I had 30+ years ago could insert local commercials.

Ted

Oh OK ... ,

Thanks, my bad then ...

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

I suspect you all are right that there is a problem that DIRECTV might need to look into. I expect they were meant to be skippable but maybe something was tagged incorrectly or maybe a bug in the skip logic.

If it is in the tagging, hopefully they can fix it in a few days. If a coding bug... that might take a little longer.

I don't think this is how DIRECTV wanted things to go.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:23 PM

The 'bug' easily did pass a test of its SW developer, not telling about first QA ? Sweet dreams...

It's a feature to control us !

#45 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

I don't know, the voices in my head (and I know they're actually in my head, because my tinfoil hat keeps out any mind control efforts) say that if the ads are not skippable, DirecTV could charge more for them.

#46 OFFLINE   ACR_Ted

ACR_Ted

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I suspect you all are right that there is a problem that DIRECTV might need to look into. I expect they were meant to be skippable but maybe something was tagged incorrectly or maybe a bug in the skip logic.

If it is in the tagging, hopefully they can fix it in a few days. If a coding bug... that might take a little longer.

Cheers,
Tom

Has anyone in the affected areas called DTV to find out just what is going on and whether or not the disabling of the skip function is deliberate?

If it is done on purpose I would imagine that a lot of us would cancel service...I know I certainly would do so! I can get 50+ channels off air (albeit about 2/3 of them are religious, Spanish and/or home shopping) so that would be good enough for me. I've already gotten to the point where I only watch TV once or twice a week now...

Ted

#47 OFFLINE   bill875

bill875

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

I DVR'd the Weird Al Yankovic Special on Comedy Central HD tonight (10/1). During the ad breaks I was surprised to see Hardee's ads on a National channel, then I saw a commercial for a local Ear/Nose/Throat doctor in Charlotte, NC which was surprising as I knew I was not watching any of my local Charlotte channels. So that brought me to Google "DirecTV inserting Local ads" which brought me to this thread. I have no problem with local ads if I don't have to see DirecTV, Mesothelioma or Coin ads. Glad to know I'm not crazy and that this is an actual initiative on DirecTV's part.

#48 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

I have no problem with local ads if I don't have to see DirecTV, Mesothelioma or Coin ads.

I don't think anyone really has a problem with the ads themselves. It's just the fact that they're unskippable.

#49 OFFLINE   Funk Doctor

Funk Doctor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Started seeing these local ads on national channels here in NYC. I can't recall exactly which channels they were on, but I think it was FX, Bravo and maybe Discovery.
Senior News Editor - [Colony of Gamers] - Gaming News and Community

#50 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

I don't think anyone really has a problem with the ads themselves. It's just the fact that they're unskippable.

+1. Luckily they haven't made it my way yet, but if they make commercials unskippable, I may have to resort to having a bunch of recievers and let the pc flag the commercials for me.
my setup here

#51 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

I noticed the ads here in TN a few weeks ago, and didn't think they were local at first. I saw one ad at the gym and thought they had switched to Comcast, but I didn't see those stupid anti-D* and anti-Uverse ads. All the ads I saw were regional, not local. One day, I saw an ad for a local ambulance chaser and realized D* was inserting them somehow. They definitely have a lower resolution than the other ads.

Edited by ChrisPC, 14 October 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

I noticed the ads here in TN a few weeks ago, and didn't think they were local at first. I saw one ad at the gym and thought they had switched to Comcast, but I didn't see those stupid anti-D* and anti-Uverse ads. All the ads I saw were regional, not local. One day, I saw an ad for a local ambulance chaser and realized D* was inserting them somehow. They definitely have a lower resolution than the other ads.

was it on a RSN channel? they have local ad's and D* can if wanted feed in local ad's on RSN channels at there up link center.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#53 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Watching History HD and saw some local ads for the Ral/Durham Market, also saw some on ESPN HD. Also the resolution changes for some ads.

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Beats the Hell out of Deon Sanders over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over over and over and over.

How Do You REALLY Feel About The Deion Sanders Commercial???

This is your Psychiatrist Speaking. Can you Hear??? :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...