Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite and cable on the same line?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gar598

gar598

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

I'm trying to see if it's possible to run cable (internet) and DirecTV coming in using the same coax cable.. I've read some reports of people using diplexers for this but it seems this may cause signal latency, etc. The ideal solution would be to run another line which unfortunately is not possible (so they tell me) - this is a condo building and the wiring is run under the floor.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

I believe it is technically possible to diplex them, if you don't get a DECA setup, but this is unsupported by DirecTV, and not all cable Internet setups will work this way (DOCSIS 3 in particular I believe.)

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm trying to see if it's possible to run cable (internet) and DirecTV coming in using the same coax cable.. I've read some reports of people using diplexers for this but it seems this may cause signal latency, etc. The ideal solution would be to run another line which unfortunately is not possible (so they tell me) - this is a condo building and the wiring is run under the floor.

Thanks.

You should not. What's your setup, maybe we can give you other ideas.

#4 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

I had a similar situation with my condo that only had 3 installed coax lines and I wanted to have DTV on each drop. What I did was use the cat3 phone line to run my cable modem. Like most condos the phone lines and the cable lines are side by side outside the unit. I was lucky that these are attached to an outdoor small closet that is for storage and where the water heater is. I put the modem out there that has a less than 3 foot coax going to the cableco ground block. I then wired a RJ45 keystone jack on each end of the cat3 phone line that goes up to the room where the cable modem used to be where my router is. The cat3 phone line only has 2 pairs (4 wires) in it so you need to punch them into the green and orange colors on the RJ45 jack. Depending on your colors of your phone line pick which colors to substitute for the orange and green pairs on the jacks. I tested this out extensively to make sure that the cat3 was not inferior in anyway. I ran many speed test before and after and there was no noticeable difference before/after.

Now for the kicker, using the DECA modules on each coax lead in my condo I can feed an Internet connection at the same location as my DTV receivers where I have a PC for each TV. This was WAY more reliable than the wifi I was using before. Im pretty sure others have said this is not supported by DTV so dont expect them to help you do this.

#5 OFFLINE   gar598

gar598

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

You should not. What's your setup, maybe we can give you other ideas.

Basically one coax line and one telephone line running into a small wiring closet of the unit. DirecTV is using the one coax line running in. Pretty basic setup.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Basically one coax line and one telephone line running into a small wiring closet of the unit. DirecTV is using the one coax line running in. Pretty basic setup.

Ok, let me ask...

Does your sat lines and cable lines both come into your small wiring closet? Or is it one line into your wiring closet from a building closet that has both sat and cable run to it?

Who's your local phone provider, Verizon or AT&T?

How many Directv boxes do you have? Dvr, sd, hd?

Are you using whdvr?

Do you know If you are hooked up on Directv via swim?

What all are you hooking up to your Internet? Tvs and game consoles, or just a computer?

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

Ok, let me ask...

Does your sat lines and cable lines both come into your small wiring closet? Or is it one line into your wiring closet from a building closet that has both sat and cable run to it?

Are you using whdvr?

What all are you hooking up to your Internet? Tvs and game consoles, or just a computer?

#8 OFFLINE   gar598

gar598

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:29 PM

Ok, let me ask...

One line into my wiring closet from a building closet that has both sat and cable.

Verizon.

1 dvr / hd

Are you using whdvr?

No

Don't believe so.

bunch of things - games console,slingbox, computer, etc.

#9 OFFLINE   gar598

gar598

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

I had a similar situation with my condo that only had 3 installed coax lines and I wanted to have DTV on each drop. What I did was use the cat3 phone line to run my cable modem. Like most condos the phone lines and the cable lines are side by side outside the unit. I was lucky that these are attached to an outdoor small closet that is for storage and where the water heater is. I put the modem out there that has a less than 3 foot coax going to the cableco ground block. I then wired a RJ45 keystone jack on each end of the cat3 phone line that goes up to the room where the cable modem used to be where my router is. The cat3 phone line only has 2 pairs (4 wires) in it so you need to punch them into the green and orange colors on the RJ45 jack. Depending on your colors of your phone line pick which colors to substitute for the orange and green pairs on the jacks. I tested this out extensively to make sure that the cat3 was not inferior in anyway. I ran many speed test before and after and there was no noticeable difference before/after.

Now for the kicker, using the DECA modules on each coax lead in my condo I can feed an Internet connection at the same location as my DTV receivers where I have a PC for each TV. This was WAY more reliable than the wifi I was using before. Im pretty sure others have said this is not supported by DTV so dont expect them to help you do this.

There's a small patch panel now in my unit's wiring closet with cat3 (used for telephone)..a possible option. I was also thinking of getting an all-in-one wireless cable modem - setting it in the main wireless closet (if they allow that) and having another wireless router in client mode in my unit.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...