Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 skip acting up

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SherSlick

SherSlick

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

To start I have the 30 second skip enabled.

But the other day I noticed something, while watching a recorded show I was skipping through the ads when I landed right on top of a D* ad. I could no longer hit the skip button. Then the next ad was a "you think dish has.." ad and I could not skip it either.

Fast forward worked fine no matter where I was in the recording, and once the D* ads were done I could hit skip again..

Anyone else notice this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

I wouldn't doubt it. I was wondering when the software would disable the skip function for certain commercials.

Who knows, maybe soon whenever you try to skip commercials you will be forced to watch channel 100 instead and suffer through previews of DirecTV Cinema movies!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#3 OFFLINE   bikenski

bikenski

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

Ran into this problem with a recording of last's night Top Gear episode (US version) on History Channel. The ads that couldn't be 30-second skipped appeared to be the new locally inserted ads. The fast forward button worked, but the skip button did nothing.

An additional data point - the recording showed 57 minutes (partial) even though the entire hour long show was recorded.

Hopefully this is simply a "bug" with the new local ad insertion, and not a sign that skipping ads will be disabled down the road.

#4 OFFLINE   SherSlick

SherSlick

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Well a decent number of of them are un-skippable..

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

I'd be curious what it does if you toggle the key from "skip" back to "slip" by searching for keyword "30SLIP"...

When it's set to slip, you can press it multiple times. I wonder if it would start slipping and then stop when it got to the "unskippable" commercial. :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#6 OFFLINE   kaszeta

kaszeta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Okay, so it's not just me. I noticed during Top Chef Just Desserts that 30 second skip stopped on the D* ads.

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Okay, so it's not just me. I noticed during Top Chef Just Desserts that 30 second skip stopped on the D* ads.

You know, if advertisers think that by paying DirecTV to force subscribers to watch their commercials it will ensure that their product will be purchased I think they are in for a surprise. Personally, I would NEVER EVER purchase anything advertised that forces me to watch a commercial for it.

Actually, I really don't mind the 30 slip which is the only "skip" function on my R15's-and occasionally I'll see something zipping by that actually interests me and I'll go back and watch the whole commercial. But it was MY choice!!

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

You know, if advertisers think that by paying DirecTV to force subscribers to watch their commercials it will ensure that their product will be purchased I think they are in for a surprise.

So is Directv, if they think Im going to pay them if I cant skip commercials.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

So far everyone has said 30 skip are people seeing this also with slip or just skip?

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

It's my understanding that this is an issue that was identified after the latest national release rolled out. It's not intentional and our friends at DIRECTV are working to nail it down.

My advice is to relax, there isn't a massive conspiracy to keep you from skipping commercials. It's just ... a boo-boo.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

It's my understanding that this is an issue that was identified after the latest national release rolled out. It's not intentional and our friends at DIRECTV are working to nail it down.

My advice is to relax, there isn't a massive conspiracy to keep you from skipping commercials. It's just ... a boo-boo.

Phew, I certainly hope so. I was worried they may be testing the system in advance of the upcoming election year...

#12 OFFLINE   kaszeta

kaszeta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

So far everyone has said 30 skip are people seeing this also with slip or just skip?

I'm on 30-second skip. I may toggle it to slip to see if that affects it.

#13 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a consequence of local ad insertion technology. If you think how 30 sec skip must work, it makes sense...

To jump 30 seconds forward, the software has to calculate the offset in the digital file that represents 30 seconds later. If the stream is redirected in to a different file, the offset becomes invalid and the playback drops back to the stream. This is why slip and fast forward still work, they follow the stream, not file offsets.

To fix this, they will have to look ahead on each skip and see if there is a local ad insertion coming, and recalculate offsets going in and coming back to the main file.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#14 OFFLINE   azphi

azphi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:14 PM

I for one would not mind being forced to see certain commericals if it means less increases in programming.

I mean really, someone has to pay DirecT*; either the consumer or the advertiser.

LouPenya

#15 OFFLINE   bearcat250

bearcat250

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:54 AM

This has happened to me three times so far. The 30 second skip will not work at a certain point of a recording, a commercial of course, the fast forward works and the skip back works. The time last it hapened was during Jersy Shore recording from 9/29.

#16 OFFLINE   rdbcatcher

rdbcatcher

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

I've noticed this for awhile now. When the skip button is pushed, instead of skipping immediately ahead it will just fast forward though it. I complained to the CS and tech, but they said when the system installed the latest software upgrade, this was one of the perks that was removed.
Each must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, and which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree besides the river of truth, and tell the whole world.... "NO, YOU MOVE!!" Captain America

#17 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

I've noticed this for awhile now. When the skip button is pushed, instead of skipping immediately ahead it will just fast forward though it. I complained to the CS and tech, but they said when the system installed the latest software upgrade, this was one of the perks that was removed.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but inferring what was said above about this new skip behavior being a mistake and now your experience suggests to me that maybe - just maybe - D* is trying this whole "can't skip ads" thing out in a very limited sense while giving themselves room to back out gracefully should there be sufficient backlash or insufficient interest by advertisers.

The facts themselves are pretty interesting all by themselves. D* certainly has motive (a new source of revenue from advertisers, plus trialling it out with their own commercials), the means (the DVR software programmers), and the weapon (the DVR hardware, which are generally leased so they still own the box), so to speak.

Are there reasons why they *wouldn't* want to do something like this? Sure, conflict of interest being one at or near the top. But one seriously needs to look at the financial gain D* might enjoy by implementing this "feature" and compare that against any of those other reasons. Besides, when we, the subscriber, turn into the product being sold to the advertiser, our voices of displeasure and discontent tend to fall on deaf ears.

Personally, I'm expecting and dreading the day unskippable ads are implemented en mass. I fear, however, that the day is much sooner than I would have hoped.

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

To jump 30 seconds forward, the software has to calculate the offset in the digital file that represents 30 seconds later. If the stream is redirected in to a different file, the offset becomes invalid and the playback drops back to the stream. This is why slip and fast forward still work, they follow the stream, not file offsets.

This line of thinking is absurd. The actual file on the DVR is no different than the file on every other DVR. The commercials are inserted dynamically on playback, triggered by markers in the stream. They are not stitched in during recording. The software is deliberately causing the commercial to be played back in full and unskippable form when the marker is detected.

#19 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

You might be able to restore the functionality by following the directions in this thread...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ec skip keyword

Your description is quite different from what this thread is discussing.

I've seen it twice tonight for the same "Sunday Ticket" commercial. Once during "The Ed Show" on MSNBC and the second time at the end of the NY/DET game on TBS.

I really hope Stuart is correct in stating this is a fluke in software programming. I do agree though...I could see this day coming many years ago. There is no way that free OTA broadcasting can survive in a world without commercials.

#20 OFFLINE   hdprice

hdprice

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:37 PM

You might be able to restore the functionality by following the directions in this thread...
There is no way that free OTA broadcasting can survive in a world without commercials.

Free? Not trying to be an ass but my D* tops $160 before rentals... We're paying handsomely. Skipping commercials should not be an issue when customers are paying at that level. TBH it wouldn't be unreasonable to have ads removed completely a la HBO..

Protected By... spam firewall...And...