Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 skip acting up

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Free? Not trying to be an ass but my D* tops $160 before rentals...

I wouldn't consider DirecTV to be "free OTA broadcasting." :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

Free? Not trying to be an ass but my D* tops $160 before rentals... We're paying handsomely. Skipping commercials should not be an issue when customers are paying at that level. TBH it wouldn't be unreasonable to have ads removed completely a la HBO..

I was referring to local channels. Their major source of income is in ad revenue. While they do pull in retrans dollars, it's nowhere near enough for them to survive. With a broader DVR audience, those ad revenues must be shrinking. Combine that with increased cost of content and it's a wonder some of these guys are still in business.

Initially, I was a bit taken aback by this happening with Sunday Ticket commercials, but after the initial shock wore off, I could see the forest through the trees...

#23 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

This line of thinking is absurd. The actual file on the DVR is no different than the file on every other DVR. The commercials are inserted dynamically on playback, triggered by markers in the stream. They are not stitched in during recording. The software is deliberately causing the commercial to be played back in full and unskippable form when the marker is detected.

I agree, they are inserted dynamically during playback...that is exactly my point. Absurd? If you say so - my thinking has been called worse. :lol:

If this were a deliberate act by DirecTVto make ads "unskippable" why wouldn't they also be "unslipable" and unable to be fast forwarded over?

Edited by Diana C, 04 October 2011 - 05:46 AM.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#24 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

If this were a deliberate act by DirecTVto make ads "unskippable" why wouldn't they also be "unslipable" and unable to be fast forwarded over?

My wording was misleading. Although I did initially believe DirecTV made that decision, the moderators have told us that's not the case and I didn't mean to imply that they're lying. I was just referring to what the software is doing.

#25 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

OK, I have something to contribute here. First, note this older thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...&highlight=8888

A few days ago, we saw one of those odd items in our To Do List on the HR22-100. It was on channel 8888 and had a title which included "HEALTHONE" (that wasn't the full title, but it was the majority of it).

Today, we were watching a recording of the Diamondbacks/Brewers game #1 from Saturday. We ran into a pair of these unskippable ads. The first ad was for some furniture or something. The second ad was for Health One. Hmm...Where have I seen that before?

So, this is very clearly the local ad insert technology DirecTV is apparently now testing. I thought the test was supposed to begin early next year, but evidently it's underway now, at least for some of us.

Incidentally, this only happens when watching the recording on the local box. If I watch on either of our other DVR's (an HR21-100 and an HR24-500) via MRV, the local ad inserts don't happen, and I instead see a generic PSA ad (probably straight from TBS). Therefore, if you want to avoid this issue and you have MRV, you can simply watch each recording from a different room from where it's recorded and you should be OK.

#26 OFFLINE   billt1111

billt1111

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

I have noticed this multiple times when watching the MLB playoffs on TBS and TNT the last 2 weeks. It does not happen every commercial break, but it ONLY happens during a commercial break and continues for the entire commercial break. Last night during the Ranger game it only happened during 2 breaks. I am using SKIP, not slip. As soon as the game comes back on skip starts working again. I can FF through the commercial(s) in question. I have only noticed it on my HR22 so far and I have the national release. I even hard reset my HR22 once to see if it still happens after that. I am going to try my HR24 via MRV the next time I notice it.

#27 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

For me it has been a different problem altogether, while using the 30 SLIP on last weeks "Terra Nova""and then "House" both on FOX the bottom part of the screen would freeze while the banner would SLIP forward. No ads or anything else were visible on the screen while SLIPPING other than in the banner area. These were the only recordings this happened too. Never seen this before.:confused:

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#28 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:05 PM

For me it has been a different problem altogether, while using the 30 SLIP on last weeks "Terra Nova""and then "House" both on FOX the bottom part of the screen would freeze while the banner would SLIP forward. No ads or anything else were visible on the screen while SLIPPING other than in the banner area. These were the only recordings this happened too. Never seen this before.:confused:

Be sure to report this in the Issues Thread at the top of this forum.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#29 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Be sure to report this in the Issues Thread at the top of this forum.

This Monday's "Terra Nova" also had the same problem with only slipping in the banner area of the screen as opposed to the main area. Missed the "House" recording due to the over-run on the baseball game, however the recording of the baseball game functioned correctly with respect the 30Slip feature.

3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs

#30 OFFLINE   Red Orc

Red Orc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

I was referring to local channels. Their major source of income is in ad revenue. While they do pull in retrans dollars, it's nowhere near enough for them to survive. With a broader DVR audience, those ad revenues must be shrinking. Combine that with increased cost of content and it's a wonder some of these guys are still in business.

Initially, I was a bit taken aback by this happening with Sunday Ticket commercials, but after the initial shock wore off, I could see the forest through the trees...

They can shove as many ads down my throat as they like but at the end of the day just because I watch a commercial for a product that doesn't mean that I am going to actually buy that product. I go out of my way not to buy some products because the commercials get on my nerves.

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

It's my understanding that this is an issue that was identified after the latest national release rolled out. It's not intentional and our friends at DIRECTV are working to nail it down.

My advice is to relax, there isn't a massive conspiracy to keep you from skipping commercials. It's just ... a boo-boo.

I've now had this three times and from what I'm seeing, it looks like the coding in the commercial is the trigger. While it may not be intentional, as it isn't just the DirecTV commercials that have done it, I really doubt the receiver software is the source of the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

I really doubt the receiver software is the source of the problem.

The receiver software has to be the source of the problem. Even though it's something in the commercial that causes it, it's the software that is preventing the skips.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

The receiver software has to be the source of the problem. Even though it's something in the commercial that causes it, it's the software that is preventing the skips.

Maybe this is a chicken or egg thing.
Since I have first hand experience with this, I "get a feeling" of what's going on.
When you've 30skipped a thousand times without issue and then you find a problem, it tends to suggest the source is what triggers it. Now "the fix" may be in a software change, but the cause is in the commercial feed.
What seems to be in common with this is not what version of software everyone is running, but the timing of the commercials being aired.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

Maybe this is a chicken or egg thing.

It's the programmer in me. When an input causes a problem in software, the input is not the problem. The software should be designed to gracefully handle any input it could see.

#35 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

What about the 30SLIP on the banner only thing? Any ideas?

#36 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

What about the 30SLIP on the banner only thing? Any ideas?

Sounds like something totally different that should be discussed in a separate thread.

#37 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

It's the programmer in me. When an input causes a problem in software, the input is not the problem. The software should be designed to gracefully handle any input it could see.

That's understandable, as we all look at this from our own experiences.
"The fix" may be in a firmware update, where "the source" seems to be in a change in what they've done breaking/adding commercials. "I'd guess" this change isn't going to be reversed as it came from a direction they want to pursue/develop.
From the user's point of view, it's like the DVR thinks it's at the end of the live buffer, even though it's in the middle of a recording.
A.K.A VOS

#38 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

Mine still have 30skip glitch occasionally. I called tech support last week and they don't even know what skip is.
Will a fix/patch download show up in history or as a national release version or anything? I am waiting patiently as requested.

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

Mine still have 30skip glitch occasionally. I called tech support last week and they don't even know what skip is.
Will a fix/patch download show up in history or as a national release version or anything? I am waiting patiently as requested.

I'm sure you'll notice the next national release, but whether this bug is fixed or not, we don't know yet.
Also I'd say it's a waste of time calling DirecTV about this.
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

It's my understanding that this is an issue that was identified after the latest national release rolled out. It's not intentional and our friends at DIRECTV are working to nail it down.

My advice is to relax, there isn't a massive conspiracy to keep you from skipping commercials. It's just ... a boo-boo.

It happened to me a few times during the ALDS when I was skipping from batter to batter. No commercials were on at the time. I was using a 24-500 and just figured it was a glitch. It did keep happening during the game, tho.

Now about those black helicopters with the D* logo on them that keep circling my house....:lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...