Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 skip acting up

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   uteotw

uteotw

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

So, where are we at on this? Anyone? It's getting annoying...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

So, where are we at on this? Anyone? It's getting annoying...

I had a talk about this and it will be addressed, but it may still take some time.
I was please to hear this, since 30slip is the only supported option, and 30skip isn't.
Your current options are to change back to 30slip or use FF.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

My friend veryoldschool is right. Here's the skinny:

(1) It is not a feature, it's a bug.
(2) It affects only skips, not slips or FF.
(3) DIRECTV knows about it and is investigating fixing it.
(4) SKIP is still an unsupported option, let's not forget that.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 17 October 2011 - 03:21 PM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   alm

alm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

I am also seeing this happen on my tivo with cable card. Same deal as with my directv receiver. Skip is often blocked on the tivo but fast forward will work.

#45 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have yet to experience any of these issues. Although wasnt it a year ago that there was an article floating around here that a new company joined with DirecTV for just this (commercials we could not skip on the DVR)?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#46 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Happened to me as well AT&T commercial MTV I used to be fat

#47 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

This problem is a lot worse on the new 4d2 level. I do a 1 hour manual record Monday thru Thursday each week at 11:00 pm on Comedy Central to record Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert. Since the 4d2 level was sent, I get the skip problem every day on this recording at 18 minutes into the show.

I don't care if skip is supported or not. It worked perfectly until a few updates screwed it up a couple of months ago. When the programmers screw something up, they should be responsible of fixing it.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#48 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

My friend veryoldschool is right. Here's the skinny:

(1) It is not a feature, it's a bug.
(2) It affects only skips, not slips or FF.
(3) DIRECTV knows about it and is investigating fixing it.
(4) SKIP is still an unsupported option, let's not forget that.

I've been paying closer attention to this "bug" and it is odd that, for me, it never occurs during program content...just commercials. And, it always occurs during DirecTV commercials/promos as well as other advertisers that one might call "high end"...Tiffany comes to mind. ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#49 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

The skeptic in me says this is the beginning of the end of being able to skip commercials. I have been predicting for a while that skipping them is not going to be possible forever. With the continued proliferation of DVR's, advertisers simply won't be willing to pay as much for commercials that are skipped at a higher and higher rate. The lost revenue will have to be made up somewhere. I hope I'm wrong (but I doubt I am).

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

The skeptic in me says this is the beginning of the end of being able to skip commercials. I have been predicting for a while that skipping them is not going to be possible forever. With the continued proliferation of DVR's, advertisers simply won't be willing to pay as much for commercials that are skipped at a higher and higher rate. The lost revenue will have to be made up somewhere. I hope I'm wrong (but I doubt I am).

Change to 30slip and you won't have this problem.
The changes to commercials, where DirecTV can insert their own is causing this, and since 30skip isn't supported, it wasn't tested.
[again] I've talked to "my people" and was assured this isn't any conspiracy, but merely an omission in their testing, which is to be resolved "in time".
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   DallasFlier

DallasFlier

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

They can shove as many ads down my throat as they like but at the end of the day just because I watch a commercial for a product that doesn't mean that I am going to actually buy that product. I go out of my way not to buy some products because the commercials get on my nerves.

So... You're saying that advertisers can't count on 100% of ad viewers buying the advertised product??? And some commercials are more effective than others???

And in other earthshaking news, the sun came up this morning... ;)

#52 OFFLINE   Kojo62

Kojo62

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

I've noticed the same thing recently. It only happens on one specific commercial, an ad for an LGBT organization. I've seen this same commercial on multiple broadcasts, and it always acts the same. But I haven't noticed it on any other commercials so far.

I did some testing and it only affects the 30SKIP function. I can still zip past it manually with FF presses, or when I reset to 30SLIP. But on 30SKIP, it automatically locks back into standard play mode the instant it hits the beginning of the ad, and I am prevented from skipping forward until the ad ends. (Sneaky... even on FF, you're forced to watch their imagery even to determine when it's over.)

I came here just to post on if this was a designed new DVR behavior that DirecTV was selling to advertisers, so I guess this thread answers my question... sort of. But even if they claim it was not intentional, they clearly now have the capability to sell such a service if they want to.

#53 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

I reported my problem with this skip in this thread a week or so ago:

"I do a 1 hour manual record Monday thru Thursday each week at 11:00 pm on Comedy Central to record Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert. Since the 4d2 level was sent, I get the skip problem every day on this recording at 17,18 or 19 minutes into the show."

I just wanted to report that this problem also fails every day on the 575 level of software. It fails on different commercials, but always 17 to 19 minutes into the recording.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#54 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

That's probably the time frame designated for local insertions.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#55 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

Definitely seeing this issue with DirecTV commercials. Skip, skip, skip... stuck on a DirecTV comercial. Happened 3 times today. Glad to hear it's bug not a feature.

#56 OFFLINE   joerockt

joerockt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

Definitely seeing this issue with DirecTV commercials. Skip, skip, skip... stuck on a DirecTV comercial. Happened 3 times today. Glad to hear it's bug not a feature.

Same here. Ridiculous this has been going on for a whole month.

#57 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

Wonder if this bug has anything to do with the Channel 8888 and 8887 recordings I have been seeing in the To Do list?
When news breaks...we fix it.

#58 OFFLINE   levytv

levytv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

its directv's way of attempting to force us to watch their spots. fast forward still works. this 'encoding' is happening more and more.

#59 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

I haven't seen this issue at all.

#60 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

its directv's way of attempting to force us to watch their spots. fast forward still works. this 'encoding' is happening more and more.

Has nothing to do with it.
If it was the case 30SLIP & FF wouldn't work, but they do.

It's merely that the change wasn't tested with 30skip as 30skip isn't a supported feature. This should get "fixed", but when isn't known yet.

I ran into it a couple of times last night and FF works fine to get past it. I'd almost forgotten about this as I haven't run into it for weeks.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...