Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 skip acting up

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

has to do with being able to insert local ads [since if you have DirecTV, their ads are pointless].

How are they pointless? The ads are for DirecTV cinema and their movers program. They would be pointless if you DIDN'T have directv.

What do you mean by local ads? A directv ad is 'local'....?

Saying 'Oh, your complaint is stupid because it is 'unsupported'', I find it odd that this targets a directv ad and that the 30 second skip has worked fine as long as directv has had DVRs. Taking it away (supported or not) is not acceptable to me and many other people.

If DirecTV really gave a crap about wanting you to watch their ads, they would have not let you 30slip or FF through their ads.

I have no doubt that's coming.... Baby steps. Like Steve said earlier, skip is the only out of the methods that skips over the commercial without you seeing it.

Edited by adam1115, 31 December 2011 - 02:42 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

How are they pointless? The ads are for DirecTV cinema and their movers program. They would be pointless if you DIDN'T have directv.

Saying 'Oh, your complaint is stupid because it is 'unsupported'', I find it odd that this targets a directv ad and that the 30 second skip has worked fine as long as directv has had DVRs. Taking it away (supported or not) is not acceptable to me and many other people.

I have no doubt that's coming.... Baby steps. Like Steve said earlier, skip is the only out of the methods that skips over the commercial without you seeing it.

It's not just DirecTV ads, though.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#78 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

First, I didn't say anything about "stupid". :nono:
The DirecTV ads are what is being replaced by local ads.
This is the root cause.
It will get fixed.

I'm sure if you're inclined to wear a tinfoil hat, none of this will change your mind.
A.K.A VOS

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

It's not just DirecTV ads, though.

But this would matter only to someone interested it what is really happening and why. Those that have already come to their own reasoning and this all is some conspiracy by DirecTV, will not care what is posted here, unless it falls inline with their ideas.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,369 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

But this would matter only to someone interested it what is really happening and why. Those that have already come to their own reasoning and this all is some conspiracy by DirecTV, will not care what is posted here, unless it falls inline with their ideas.

You're right. Sometimes I hope too much from users. :)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#81 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Why would anyone leap to the conclusion that this a bug in the software vs. a change in design, and that 'crazy notion' means they are a conspiracy theorist??

I saw the behavior and thought "Wow, that's annoying, but not a big surprise. Probably a sign of things to come..." I can't imagine someone saying "Wow, look at this interesting software glitch."

Most of the people in this thread thought it was be design...

#82 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

I am also noticing that after the "local insert" commercials that my hr20 in native mode sometimes gets "confused" ie. 720p before commercials and 1080i after. I have not noticed it happening from 1080i before to 720p afterwards, but it may also do that.

#83 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

Why would anyone leap to the conclusion that this a bug in the software...

I didn't leap to any conclusions, but instead asked the software developers.
A.K.A VOS

#84 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm sure if you're inclined to wear a tinfoil hat, none of this will change your mind.

The little pithy remark under my username at AVS Forum says "no tinfoil hats". I think your sentiments are quite well expressed. :)

#85 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

The little pithy remark under my username at AVS Forum says "no tinfoil hats". I think your sentiments are quite well expressed. :)

I do believe I've read a post or two of yours over there too. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#86 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

I didn't leap to any conclusions, but instead asked the software developers.

Ah, that's what I should've done! Why didn't I think of that!

#87 OFFLINE   silentpartner

silentpartner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Has nothing to do with it.
If it was the case 30SLIP & FF wouldn't work, but they do.

It's merely that the change wasn't tested with 30skip as 30skip isn't a supported feature. This should get "fixed", but when isn't known yet.

I ran into it a couple of times last night and FF works fine to get past it. I'd almost forgotten about this as I haven't run into it for weeks.

Thx VOS for the info on this little irritant.

SilentPartner

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

Samsung LN52B750

Sharp Aquos LC40E67UN

HR22-100

HR23-700

HR24-500 x3

#88 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Thx VOS for the info on this little irritant.

Should see some help in the next update "or so". ;)
A.K.A VOS

#89 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Should see some help in the next update "or so". ;)

Can't Wait until I see the Update but I guess I will have to!!! :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#90 OFFLINE   rpotato

rpotato

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

I have not received the latest update yet (w/Pandora) so I was wondering if this issue has been fixed.

Called them numerous times to report the issue. Got various responses from CSR's ranging from it is "not an issue" to "yes, we are aware, but not many customers have called to complain".

I have noticed the frequency of these local ads increasing and shifting from DirecTV spots to real local advertisers. Ironically, the one I saw the most often was for a residential condo complex-the same typical HOA organizations that put up as many restrictions as possible to discourage satellite dishes :D

#91 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

I have not received the latest update yet (w/Pandora) so I was wondering if this issue has been fixed.

Called them numerous times to report the issue. Got various responses from CSR's ranging from it is "not an issue" to "yes, we are aware, but not many customers have called to complain".

I have noticed the frequency of these local ads increasing and shifting from DirecTV spots to real local advertisers. Ironically, the one I saw the most often was for a residential condo complex-the same typical HOA organizations that put up as many restrictions as possible to discourage satellite dishes :D

Yes, ironic! :lol:

30SKIP is not a 'supported function', so calling is a waste of time. You can FF through those, however. It's not been a factor in my viewing, though plenty of others have seen it.

And welcome to the posting side of DBSTalk!

:welcome_s
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#92 OFFLINE   joerockt

joerockt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

looks like this was fixed finally.

#93 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

looks like this was fixed finally.

It has not happened to us watching Justified the last two weeks, which definitely had been using inserting ads. Knock on wood.

#94 OFFLINE   bobkatF

bobkatF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Still happening.

#95 OFFLINE   levytv

levytv

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

there's a new Honda commercial that u can't skip thru.

#96 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

FWIW, here is why this problem occurs:

...The problem is that skip works by calculating a new number relative to the running timecode and jumps there. If you press "skip" when the timecode is 01:23:13:16 it calculates 01:23:43:16, and jumps non-linearly to that point (actually to the closest I-frame, which is why it is not accurately 30 seconds).

If DTV does a insert and replaces the running time code with the time code from the insert (the cheap and dirty easy way to do it), the number skip tries to calculate from (inside the insert) is not in the same universe, time-wise, as what the rest of the program is in. It tries to calculate a number, but the number 30 seconds down the road is simply just not there, so it aborts the process.

They could fix it by simply using regenerative time code. They might have to spend a buck or two, but they won't, so it won't get fixed. That is the entire idea of not supporting certain features--you don't have to spend money down the road to keep supporting them. Promise unmade; promise technically unbroken.

This was my answer (actually a better answer than I gave earlier in this thread) from another thread.

So it is not conspiratorial; it is simply a by-product of them doing commercial inserts in a manner that is not fully professional.

30SLIP and FFWD work because they do not use an algorithm dependent on a number that does not exist in the time code. They use algorithms that instead instruct the DVR to decode and display at a faster rate than normal, whatever is in the stream.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#97 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

FWIW, here is why this problem occurs: This was my answer (actually a better answer than I gave earlier in this thread) from another thread.

So it is not conspiratorial; it is simply a by-product of them doing commercial inserts in a manner that is not fully professional.

[you know me] I'm not sure I'll sign off on that, since the 30slip still functions.
A.K.A VOS

#98 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,884 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

there's a new Honda commercial that u can't skip thru.

How about channel, name and time of recording and time of ad?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#99 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

[you know me] I'm not sure I'll sign off on that, since the 30slip still functions.

Yes, I do know you. Of course you won't sign off, because you never read nor understood the very simple and short explanation of why 30SLIP still works in this situation while 30SKIP doesn't.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#100 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,162 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yes, I do know you. Of course you won't sign off, because you never read nor understood the very simple and short explanation of why 30SLIP still works in this situation while 30SKIP doesn't.

"Garbage"
Since the 30slip isn't a manual function, it too needs to find where 30 sec is in the recording. It doesn't just FF for 30 seconds, you @#%#%, it has to know where 30 sec is in the recording.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...