Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

30 skip acting up

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

I watch a lot of tv. I never watch live because skipping commercials is impossible. While watching tv the 30SKIP button is the most used button. By far. I find slip worthless, 3x fastforward too slow and 4x fastforward for every half time I encounter. I have been using 30skip for almost 10 years. The old tivo had it and dish has had it for a long time. Directv doesn't officially support this feature. This is unacceptable for the most common function used on their dvr. More importantly directv hides this fantastic feature from almost everybody.

Most users and customer representatives have never heard of 30skip. Directv is being paid big $$$$ to hide this feature. Posting here has been worthless. Posting on directv's own forums is worthless. The jamming of this button just keeps coming back and is getting worse. Complaining directly to directv about this annoyance is our only hope. Let them know you expect this function to work all the time, hidden and unsupported or not. And yes 95% of the jamming of skip is on directv commercials.

If DIRECTV was paid to not have this feature they would just disable it. It would be simpler. You said that it's the most common used feature but that most users and csr's don't know it exists. Seems like a pretty big contradiction in terms. Maybe one day it will be fixed but until then you just have to learn with dealing with something else.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

It happens when my wife is watching HGTV and some home security commercial comes up. The skip just won't work on it. The FF works but not the SKIP function. Have never really noticed it on D* ads.

#123 OFFLINE   kaszeta

kaszeta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

Happens to me on both hr23-700 DVR's and only with Directv commercials.

Same here, although I've seen it with one or two non Directv commercials.

#124 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

If DIRECTV was paid to not have this feature they would just disable it. It would be simpler. You said that it's the most common used feature but that most users and csr's don't know it exists. Seems like a pretty big contradiction in terms. Maybe one day it will be fixed but until then you just have to learn with dealing with something else.

Small clarification. Directv hides this function from most subscribers. They don't remove it. They just hide it. Can't think of any other reason than money from commercial providers etc.

Pushing the 30skip is the most common button "I" press. Most people don't even know 30skip exists. And honestly 75% of the csr's have never heard of 30skip. I bring it up every time I call. 99% of the people that I have exposed to 30skip have loved it and use it a lot just like me. I don't watch HBO movies. Everything I watch has tons of commercials. Just an annoyance. Nothing more. IMO directv would increase subscriber base if they made 30skip well known and even the default function just like Dish.

#125 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Skipping a block.

I use FF 3x to skip a block of commercials, thinking it's faster than pushing 30SKIP 5-8 times in a row. Has anyone actually timed this?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#126 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Small clarification. Directv hides this function from most subscribers. They don't remove it.

"Large clarification":
DirecTV added 30skip because of our requests on this forum, during the early days of testing the HR20.
A.K.A VOS

#127 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

"Large clarification":
DirecTV added 30skip because of our requests on this forum, during the early days of testing the HR20.

Without dbstalk.com I would have never heard of 30skip. That was on the HR10. And when it disappeared the show would jump to the very end. Not good. When the HR20 came out. Lot's of problems. Including no hidden 30skip. Lot's of people complained here then and directv pays attention to this site. 6 or 7 years later the HR20 is very stable.

This 30skip intermittent jamming has been going on for about a year now. It is a widespread problem in the national software. Directv isn't getting that many complaints because most subscribers have never heard of dbstalk or 30skip. I'm not afraid of directv disabling 30skip completely because a good chunk of people would switch to dish. I still prefer 30slip over regular fastforward at any speed for commercial skipping. Even ESPN is getting this now and I bet the nfl games on the 700 channels has it too. Find out in 2 days. I appreciate all the help you main guy's provide here. This is the only satellite/cable tv site I visit.

#128 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Laxguy, IMHO skip is much faster. Most commercial breaks during a particular show tend to be the same length. Once you know the length after you get thru the first commercial break (ex 3 min) You tap skip 6 times for the next break and you should about perfect if not, skip back 10 seconds. The skips go just about as fast as you can press the button. And I only have an hr20-100 and hr21, not the newer, faster equipment.

#129 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Without dbstalk.com I would have never heard of 30skip. That was on the HR10. And when it disappeared the show would jump to the very end. Not good. When the HR20 came out. Lot's of problems. Including no hidden 30skip. Lot's of people complained here then and directv pays attention to this site. 6 or 7 years later the HR20 is very stable.

This 30skip intermittent jamming has been going on for about a year now. It is a widespread problem in the national software. Directv isn't getting that many complaints because most subscribers have never heard of dbstalk or 30skip. I'm not afraid of directv disabling 30skip completely because a good chunk of people would switch to dish. I still prefer 30slip over regular fastforward at any speed for commercial skipping. Even ESPN is getting this now and I bet the nfl games on the 700 channels has it too. Find out in 2 days. I appreciate all the help you main guy's provide here. This is the only satellite/cable tv site I visit.

DIRECTV has made changes immensly less popular than disabling this would be and it wasn't even a blip on the radar. You might leave but a "good chunk" doesn't even scratch the surface of people who even know about it.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#130 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

It's my understanding that this is an issue that was identified after the latest national release rolled out. It's not intentional and our friends at DIRECTV are working to nail it down.

My advice is to relax, there isn't a massive conspiracy to keep you from skipping commercials. It's just ... a boo-boo.

I just noticed this 30 second skip problem a few months ago and mainly on Directv commercials. You claim this is an accident. What is the latest? I did go to the last page or so of this thread. Thanks in advance.

#131 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I just noticed this 30 second skip problem a few months ago and mainly on Directv commercials. You claim this is an accident. What is the latest? I did go to the last page or so of this thread. Thanks in advance.

http://www.dbstalk.c...143#post3009143

IMO, they are in no hurry to fix it because skip is an unsupported feature and this is only a minor annoyance to a small number of users. Besides, they have bigger problems to fix.

#132 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

DIRECTV has made changes immensly less popular than disabling this would be and it wasn't even a blip on the radar. You might leave but a "good chunk" doesn't even scratch the surface of people who even know about it.

+1

If I were D*, I'd remove 30 second skip with the hidden intention of putting it back in two months later. The number of complaints would increase at first, but later D* could tout how they listened to customers so they put it back in (unfixed). People would then thank them for putting it back in, even though it was still broken, and the number of complaints about it would be a lot less than before.

Of course, I've never done something like this myself.... :D

spam firewall