Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Powering a DECA specifically for a switch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redfield99

redfield99

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

Ok. So my setup is 3 HR24s with MRV. All is well. My problem/question is this...
I would like to use a DECA to get Internet access to some other components in a place where I am otherwise unable to run cable. I know that it is unsupported but can be done by splitting the coax and connecting one line to the HR24 and one line to a switch. I also understand tha this DECA will need to be powered. Can the power inserter power the whole system? Or do I need a second PI? Right now the power inserter is in the utility room feeding directly into the splitter for the whole house.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

Ok. So my setup is 3 HR24s with MRV. All is well. My problem/question is this...
I would like to use a DECA to get Internet access to some other components in a place where I am otherwise unable to run cable. I know that it is unsupported but can be done by splitting the coax and connecting one line to the HR24 and one line to a switch. I also understand tha this DECA will need to be powered. Can the power inserter power the whole system? Or do I need a second PI? Right now the power inserter is in the utility room feeding directly into the splitter for the whole house.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

That DECA will need its own power supply and there are various powering options depending on what type of DECA unit you are actually using for it from an included one with a conventional barrel power plug to an improvised PI. Can you describe the DECA you are using for internet access?

The first PI you refer to is only used to power the SWiMLNB at the dish, none other.

#3 OFFLINE   redfield99

redfield99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:01 AM

Thanks HoTat2, the DECA I had planned to use was a standard DIRECTV DECA that I have had purchased previously and used with an HR21. (1MR01 is model I believe)

What kind of options do I have? Is there a better way to achieve this? I can try to use wireless but it seems to be kind of a deadspot in my house..

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

So you have one of these:
http://www.solidsign...CA--(DECA1MR01)

And would need one of these:
http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002374

Or you could use one of these:
http://www.solidsign...ply-(DECABB1R0)

And the best choice would be one of these:
http://www.solidsign...ion-Kit-(CCK-W)

And getting one from DirecTV is about $30 from their website.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   redfield99

redfield99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

Well, the 'best' option won't work because of the wireless deadspot. The perfect solution would be the PS18DER0.. any idea where to find one?

*edit, I found some online - I must have fat fingered the original search. I will probably go with that solution.

Thanks for all the help guys!

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Well, the 'best' option won't work because of the wireless deadspot. The perfect solution would be the PS18DER0.. any idea where to find one?

*edit, I found some online - I must have fat fingered the original search. I will probably go with that solution.

Thanks for all the help guys!

"The best" doesn't have to be used as wireless, as it also has an ethernet port, "and" it is the only one with a pass through mode that doesn't require a second coax or splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   redfield99

redfield99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

Ah, got it. I am going to see if i can find a PI first.. otherwise I will have to order the wireless option you suggested.
Thanks both of you for your help.

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Ah, got it. I am going to see if i can find a PI first.. otherwise I will have to order the wireless option you suggested.
Thanks both of you for your help.

Remember if you do order the wireless option (W-CCK) make sure you get it through your DIRECTV account for much less than SolidSignal. You should take VOS' links to them only for pictorial representation.

As I've said before in other posts, I like SolidSignal, but they really need to go somewhere with those prices they charge many times.

#9 OFFLINE   goblazers_6

goblazers_6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

A 21v SWM power supply will work to power a DECA.
My Setup: Triple-Sat LNB to a SWM-16 with a 21v power supply - HR24 with a DECA - HR24 with a BSF - H20 with a DECA

#10 OFFLINE   redfield99

redfield99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Damn! goblazers_6 you were one day too late! I ordered a DECA PI off ebay yesterday.
I actually have a SWM power supply laying in the garage too :(

Anyone want to buy a DECA PI? haha

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

Damn! goblazers_6 you were one day too late! I ordered a DECA PI off ebay yesterday.

Well if you'd checked the installation image sticky thread above, you might have seen this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1273935586
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Ooopps; :sure:

Apologies from my end, but I assumed too much about the links VOS posted earlier in assuming one of them linked to a standard PI for that option of powering the white BB DECA.

Had I actually checked them I would of added this image near the beginning of the sticky thread above titled "Connected Home Installation Images."

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1273935586

#13 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Oh sorry again;

VOS beat me to it ... :D

spam firewall