Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting out of stretch mode?

hr24-700

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   droopdog7

droopdog7

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Okay, so I just upgraded to a HR24 and am havig problems getting out of stretch mode on sd channels. Frankly, stretching an already inferior picture to fit the entire screen is about the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen.

Anyway, I have gone through most of the options but I can seem to figure out the solution. FYI, I have a Samsung LED, which I have heard may have issues displaying 480i.

I apologize but I am not in front of my tv at the moment so I cannot remember all the different combinations I have tried. What I do remember is that I have fiddled with the native (on and off), the various resolutions (on and off with 480i), and the option for 4:3 or 16:9.

What I have gotten so far is either a stretched screen or no picture (but yes on sound) with the sd channels. Nothing I do seems to have a huge effect on the hd channels.

I also realize that my tv has various options, ranging from 4:3, 16:9, and Just Scan (which I believe is supposed to be the original format). My preference is to have it at just scan but there is one catch. I am actually connecting via component cables (not an hdmi).

You might as why I am doing this. Well, I only have one hdmi out and that is going to my receiver. I have the component to the tv so that the rest of my family can watch without having to mess with the receiver.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the Just Scan option is only available to me when I have Native turned off and the receiver set to 1080i. In all other cases, the just scan options (perhaps because I am using components) is not available.

So, is there a way for me to get the Just Scan option (on my TV) and not having the sd channels strectched? Looks like my only option will be to set the receiver t native off and 1080i. Does the 4:3, 16:9 option on the receiver do anything at all in this case?

What am I missing? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   droopdog7

droopdog7

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:21 AM

I apologize as I misspoke. Just Scan was the name of the option in my previous Samsung TV. The option I meant to indicate on my new Samsung is "Screen Fit", which I assumed was just like Just Scan. If I am wrong, manybe that is the issue?

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Went I watch BBCA, I often have go thru the format button selection to get to pillar box. I end up with a small rectangle within my rectangle LCD screen.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Your "just scan" sound like my Sony's "full pixel" which is only available with a 1080 input.
Your stretch on SD "should be" solved with setting the receiver to pillarbar, or if you're going to use "Original format", you'll need to look into the TV menu for what it does when it gets 4:3 signal.
If you're having problems with 480i, you might change the receiver setting for resolutions and de-select 480i, and check 480p. Then the receiver will convert SD to 480p.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,403 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

Went I watch BBCA, I often have go thru the format button selection to get to pillar box. I end up with a small rectangle within my rectangle LCD screen.

"My twist" to this same channel is:
I set pillarbar so 4:3 is "normal".
When watching 16:9 SD, I change to original format, and my TV is set to "zoom" a 480i 4:3 input. This fill the screen and looks "fairly good" [for SD].
I shift back to pillarbar for shows that aren't 16:9.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,818 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

Well me and my brother have a Samsung LCDs here, but they are both CCFL types with only the HDMI connection directly from an HR22-100 to the set.

But anyhow, for starters can you tell me what happens on the SD channels if you set the receiver to "Native" with all resolutions checked and the TV set to 4:3?

This is the way both our setups are configured and they work fine with no stretching on the SD channels and sandwiched in an appropriate pillar-box.

NOTE: I believe "Screen Fit" is the same as my (our) "Wide Fit" mode which applies a non-linear stretch (greater on the ends than the center) to HD pictures enough to eliminate the pillar bars on up-converted 4:3 material for those who want to fill the screen and not wish to see the pillar bars.

"Just Scan" is used to display all received picture lines of a program, both vertically and horizontally. That is to say, picture material normally hidden in the vertical and horizontal overscan regions of a display are shown.

The problem here is that any ancillary data broadcast in those areas may be visible. Captions, text, test signals, etc. at the top or sides of an image.

Addendum: "Just Scan" option is only available via HDMI and for HD signals 720P or 1080i (not sure of 1080P/24Hz, but would assume so).

Interesting though I believe my manual is mistaken as it list "480i/1080i" as available for "Just Scan," but 480i pictures do not show the option, and 720P does as with 1080i

Edited by HoTat2, 19 September 2011 - 03:01 PM.
Addendum info.

spam firewall