Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Basic networking questions

the cw

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

Reading as much as I have across the forum, the terminology relating to networking a DVR gets a bit confusing - in part it's because DTV has themselves changed their terminology over the years, and also it may be because there are networking issues that may or may not be "related but different". So bear with me if my questions are dumb.

I have a single DVR (HR-23) that I would like to connect to the internet to access what at least used to be called "Video On Demand". I don't have multiple DVRs. I do have an existing wireless network in our home that links our computers together.

That being the case, are discussions of "Whole Home Viewing" irrelevant to me, or do *all* the networking issues fall under that umbrella, including those for a single DVR?

From what I *think* I understand, all I need is to connect a wireless adapter to my DVR, and go through connecting it to my existing wireless network. Correct? And if so, are "wireless adapter" and "wireless router" the same thing? There seem to be lots of USB adapters, but NewEgg has only a few Ethernet adapters, that are all in the $50-$60 range. (Our router is upstairs, so the "obvious" solution of running an Ethernet cable from router to DVR won't work in this case.)

Are there recommended adapters that folks use successfully with DTV boxes? I'm guessing that the kit supplied by DTV itself for $80 probably doesn't provide anything I could get cheaper elsewhere.

Many thanks for any clarification here. I promise - my confusion isn't because I didn't look for answers elsewhere on the forum.

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

If you can't get an ethernet cable from your router to the receiver, a wireless adapter will [should] work. I would recommend either the Linksys WGA600N or the Linksys WET610N, as both of those can be set up by the DIRECTV receiver.

#3 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

IF you have SWiM - single coax to the coax - press the dash on your remote to see if it says SWiM - order the wireless Cinema Connection Kit (self-install) from Directv. $32.00

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

IF you have SWiM - single coax to the coax - press the dash on your remote to see if it says SWiM - order the wireless Cinema Connection Kit (self-install) from Directv. $32.00

DTV lists this on the web site for $79.99. But if the adapters turn out to be $80-$100, maybe that isn't such a bad deal.

#5 OFFLINE   poppagene

poppagene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

A wireless adaptor will not help. What you need is a wireless bridge. There are many wireless routers that can be configured as a bridge. Cisco home store has a remanufactured bridge for $49 http://homestore.cis...8VVviewprod.htm.

#6 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

If you have SWM, why not go the traditional DECA route? You can get deca modules for under $15 a piece all day long, so you'd have a total of $30 invested, and have a supported setup.

Or you can get a Wireless CCK's for $59, plus s/h
http://www.ebay.com/...7#ht_742wt_1187

#7 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

DTV lists this on the web site for $79.99. But if the adapters turn out to be $80-$100, maybe that isn't such a bad deal.

I just added it to the shopping cart on the directv site for $31.99.

Your results may vary??

#8 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

A wireless adaptor will not help. What you need is a wireless bridge. There are many wireless routers that can be configured as a bridge. Cisco home store has a remanufactured bridge for $49 http://homestore.cis...8VVviewprod.htm.

Semantics. The WGA600N works just fine, and the "A" in that is for "adapter".

#9 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

If you have SWM, why not go the traditional DECA route? You can get deca modules for under $15 a piece all day long, so you'd have a total of $30 invested, and have a supported setup.

This is me getting lost in terminology again. What's DECA?

#10 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

I just added it to the shopping cart on the directv site for $31.99.

Your results may vary??

Apparently it's something other than the one shown here?

http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993

#11 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

DECA is Directv Ethernet over Coax Adapter . . . the wireless CCK would connect in-line with your coax to the 23 and have a ethernet pigtail to the 23 with wireless back to your router.

Other DECA combinations would work but require more adapters and splitters. And DECA only works on SWiM (single coax) -- otherwise, get the WGA600N or WET600N adapter for wireless to your 23.

#12 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

Apparently it's something other than the one shown here?

http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2993

The center one, wireless (self-install) is it. When I login and add to cart it's 31.99.

#13 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,093 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

The center one, wireless (self-install) is it. When I login and add to cart it's 31.99.

If WHDVR is on your account, then it's $31.99 shipped. I'm not sure what the price is otherwise.

#14 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

If WHDVR is on your account, then it's $31.99 shipped. I'm not sure what the price is otherwise.

That would explain the difference. The "otherwise" looks to be $79.99.

(Heck, I'm just happy enough that I figured out what "WHDVR" was.)

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,595 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

A wireless adaptor will not help.

A wireless adapter WILL help. The OP already has a wireless network and adding to it should be relatively trivial.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   poppagene

poppagene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Semantics. The WGA600N works just fine, and the "A" in that is for "adapter".

Actually it is a "gaming" adaptor which is a fancy term for a wireless bridge. The original poster had asked about the suitability of a usb adaptor -- I'm sure you agree that a wireless usb adaptor would not be suitable.

#17 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Actually it is a "gaming" adaptor which is a fancy term for a wireless bridge. The original poster had asked about the suitability of a usb adaptor -- I'm sure you agree that a wireless usb adaptor would not be suitable.

I would agree. However, the OP mentioned that while there were "lots of USB adapters, but NewEgg has only a few Ethernet adapters". It's not the term "adapter" that is an issue, just whether it's USB or ethernet.

It certainly seems that the OP knows fully well that the wireless adapter needs to be of the ethernet kind.

#18 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

It certainly seems that the OP knows fully well that the wireless adapter needs to be of the ethernet kind.

I did at least know that much. The HRs have a USB port on them, but at present I don't believe they're used for anything.

#19 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

Currently I know of two uses . . .a serial adapter for serial control and power - I run a fan and charge some bluetooth adapters.

#20 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Currently I know of two uses . . .a serial adapter for serial control and power - I run a fan and charge some bluetooth adapters.

Don't forget the AM21(N) OTA tuner module! :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

spam firewall