Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Basic networking questions

the cw

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

Yep, forgot that one.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

IF you have SWiM - single coax to the coax - press the dash on your remote to see if it says SWiM - order the wireless Cinema Connection Kit (self-install) from Directv. $32.00

Pressing "dash" just gives me "receiver: " followed by a five-digit number.

Once I read the description, I was pretty sure I didn't have it.

Looks like I will need to go the adapter route.

#23 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

Pressing "dash" just gives me "receiver: " followed by a five-digit number.

Once I read the description, I was pretty sure I didn't have it.

Looks like I will need to go the adapter route.

The WCCK will still work with a non SWiM system. It should act just like a regular wireless bridge and will connect to your box via a CAT5 ethernet cable.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#24 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

This is true. It's a very flexible box! I use mine both as a Wireless N bridge and replaced a DECA adapter on a HR20.

And once you get a H/HR 24 or 25 (or any H/HR), you can change to a SWiM LNB, connect the WCCK coax in line to the 23 and be in the MRV business!

#25 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

The WCCK will still work with a non SWiM system. It should act just like a regular wireless bridge and will connect to your box via a CAT5 ethernet cable.

Is there a diagram that shows how this setup would be configured? Earlier posts make it sound like it uses both coax and ethernet cables.

#26 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,398 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

Connection-wise, it's a very simple box. There's a coax in, a coax out(pass-thru) that has a terminator on it and an ethernet jack. The box is provided with a short coax jumper (if you were connecting it in-line with an H/HR) and a short ethernet cable.

Typically, the ethernet port would be connected to an H/HR port to act as a DECA adapter.

Internally it has a wireless G or N bridge, that can be programmed from a HR or from a PC.

In your case, just hook up the ethernet to the 23 and go to Setup / Network Setup and in a few minutes of powering up the WCCK, you'll see a wireless setup to find the SSID and put in the security key.

#27 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:49 PM

In your case, just hook up the ethernet to the 23 and go to Setup / Network Setup and in a few minutes of powering up the WCCK, you'll see a wireless setup to find the SSID and put in the security key.

If I'm understanding, I don't need to use the coax at all - just treat the box like I would an ordinary wireless adapter. (Presumably there's also a power cord involved?)

#28 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

If I'm understanding, I don't need to use the coax at all - just treat the box like I would an ordinary wireless adapter. (Presumably there's also a power cord involved?)

You got it! :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#29 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

To make sure it's very clear the USB wireless adapter you see on newegg won't work. Those would require the DVR to have usb drivers for them which they don't have.

A wireless bridge or gaming adapter which is designed to connect up to the internet via wireless and your Xbox or directv dvr via ethernet would work and is essentially what the WCCK is. A lot of these are really over priced since they really aren't anything more than your typical wireless router with slightly different software running on them.

Personally, I used a cheap wireless router and flashed it with DD-wrt which allowed me to configure it as a wireless bridge but it sounds like this might be a little out of your comfort zone.

#30 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

To make sure it's very clear the USB wireless adapter you see on newegg won't work. Those would require the DVR to have usb drivers for them which they don't have.

A wireless bridge or gaming adapter which is designed to connect up to the internet via wireless and your Xbox or directv dvr via ethernet would work and is essentially what the WCCK is. A lot of these are really over priced since they really aren't anything more than your typical wireless router with slightly different software running on them.

Personally, I used a cheap wireless router and flashed it with DD-wrt which allowed me to configure it as a wireless bridge but it sounds like this might be a little out of your comfort zone.

Pretty sure that's been made pretty clear, even by the OP himself.

#31 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Pretty sure that's been made pretty clear, even by the OP himself.

Yep. The only reason I mentioned USB originally was to comment that it seems there area lot more USB adapters out there than Ethernet adapters, which is what I knew I needed.

spam firewall